The Armstrong Whitworth F.K.8 'Big Ack'

Thread: The Armstrong Whitworth F.K.8 'Big Ack'

Big Ack

First of all, thanks to everyone who wished me a quick recovery. I'm 90% and improving so everything is looking good.

This is the next project, an Armstrong Whitworth AW FK8. Funny looking plane with lots of odd design features. To me, it's a wonder it even flew but it was a successful British bomber. In fact, 2 air crews won VCs flying it.

I have the basic shapes done but there is a ton of details needed to make it complete. I have no idea when I will finish it as I will be doing a lot of RV travel/camping in the next 3 months so work on it will be intermitent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B Ack.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	83742
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Hello Kurt
    I'm happy you improve well with your covid problem.
    The Armstrong Whitworth AW FK8 will be a great add, and will be welcome to fly with the Re8s

Take it easy for the coming months, and to read you soon
    Cheers
    Martin

Thanks Kurt. Didn't like to say so but this was at the top of my wish list. Some nice profles by Ronny Barr in his book on 2 seater British aircraft of WWI.

Great to hear you are on the mend.

The Armstrong Whitworth F.K.8 'Big Ack'

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - World War I

Description: The Armstrong Whitworth F.K.8 was a World War One British 2 seat reconnaissance / bomber. It was designed by the Dutch designer Frederick Koolhoven working for Armstrong Whitworth. It was ordered for the replacement of the RAF BE.2c and Armstrong Whitworth’s earlier F.K.3. It first flew in 1916 and reached squadron service in France in January 1917. During production it underwent several design changes to cowling, radiators and landing gear.
    It was popular with its crews, being sturdy and dependable, and it was nicknamed the Big Ack. It had multiple roles; bombing, ground attack, reconnaissance, and artillery spotting. Although some 1700 were produced and despite its popularity with its aircrews, it was overshadowed by the RE.8 and today is one of the lesser known WW1 British two seaters. It was flown by 5 Western Front Squadrons (No.s 2, 8, 10 35, and 82) and also served in the Middle East and Home Defense duties in Britain.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The model, textures, panel, and air files are by Captain Kurt.
    The pilot figures were developed from Wolfi's freeware Japanese pilot .fsc source file. The prop spinning texture is by Kelticheart.
    British 25 lb Cooper bombs are from the 'Aerocrate Misc. Uires and more.zip' by Gary Aumaugher
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/freeflight/Areo_Misc.zip
    Gauges are by Martin Klein, and Microsoft. Bomb sight by Gary Aumaugher

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit The Armstrong Whitworth F.K.8 'Big Ack'
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Library Staff
    Once again, thanks very much Kurt for another beauty - well done!

One small thing - like the Ninak, the panel needs the Martin Klein treatment to make it Windows 7/8/10 friendly. Those OSs don't like two 1024X768 bitmaps in the panel folder.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Wow - I didn't even know that bird. Once again an unusual plane for our WW1 install. Thank you VERY much.
    Finn

Oh yes! Nicely done.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Yay!!! All those airfields with Re.8s and F.K.8s can now show their full array. Many thanks Kurt for this great looking aircraft. Now go and have that holiday!

Congratulations Kurt for your beautifull FK8, particularly the suspension rendering

Top class, as always

Martin

Another beauty CK,

Very nice indeed....

That radiator! ha ha, love the detail ie gunner ready pose, header tank and tail skid...

Cheers

Shessi

Thanks guys. I'm back on my feet and I'm taking off to the mountains for the next couple weeks.

Kevin, Martin's panels are all 1024x768 too so it seems it would be something else. I run Win& and havew no problem on that rig but I don't have 8 or 10. I didn't mess with Gary's bombsight panel so maybe it's something to do with that? I don't know. We can explore when I get back.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Library Staff
    Hi Kurt,

Have a look at your thread on the DH9A and you'll see what Martin did to fix the problem - the bombsight bitmap needed reducing in size.

In the mean time have a great trip.

Kevin

Thank you Captain , good to hear your up and about , Mountains and peace , the best medicine !

Thank you !

Members who have read this thread: 2