Another Hot Fix Coming - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Hot Fix Coming

Honestly, I haven't had anywhere near the problems that most of y'all are reporting. I have a modest gaming laptop that seems to run it just fine after I took the time to tweak every setting individually. The things that have a high impact on how things look get set to high, and things that have very little impact on looks (but ironically seem to have the most performance impact) are dialed back or turned off. My last crash was right after SU5 when I forgot to turn off AI traffic right after reading that AI traffic was known to cause crashes. I'll own that one. The only other hiccup has been getting used to using the new mouse system in the TBM, but once I found the secret, it quickly became second nature. I'm going out for a drink or two in a bit, but I'll be flying tomorrow. If 1.18.15.0 goes as well as 13 and 14, I'll be happy!

Core basics
    TUF Gaming FX505DT
    AMD Ryzen 5 3550H
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
    16.0 GB RAM
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Honestly, I haven't had anywhere near the problems that most of y'all are reporting. I have a modest gaming laptop that seems to run it just fine after I took the time to tweak every setting individually. The things that have a high impact on how things look get set to high, and things that have very little impact on looks (but ironically seem to have the most performance impact) are dialed back or turned off. My last crash was right after SU5 when I forgot to turn off AI traffic right after reading that AI traffic was known to cause crashes. I'll own that one. The only other hiccup has been getting used to using the new mouse system in the TBM, but once I found the secret, it quickly became second nature. I'm going out for a drink or two in a bit, but I'll be flying tomorrow. If 1.18.15.0 goes as well as 13 and 14, I'll be happy!

Core basics
    TUF Gaming FX505DT
    AMD Ryzen 5 3550H
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
    16.0 GB RAM
    I had a computer mishap (did something really stupid) and had to reinstall my rig completely. Installing MSFS was a smooth, but rather lengthy process, but things are running smooth as silk here. Reinstalling my machine was overdue (I do that every year or so), so I'm a happy camper.

BTW Tom, if you run MSFS on that laptop of yours, then I would love to see a screenshot of yours, really. Out of pure curiosity.

Cheers,

Jan
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Everything I've posted in the screenshots thread has been from my laptop, but today was the first real flight after the update and hotfixes. The first two were taken with the XBox game bar system to capture the framerate overlay added by the GeForce Experience app. The third was taken with the GFX screenshooter since it ignores its own overlay. I run a mix of high and low settings. I really need to re-type that list since all the updates have changed the menu, but overall, if it has a big impact on visuals, it's up, if not, it's either down or off. That saves processing power for the things that really matter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.png   2.png   3.png  
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

The hotfix hotfix installation went completely painlessly for me today, but has it changed anything for anybody? I can see that it didn't repair the airport history bug or the trim wheel axis bug, and it also hasn't changed the only type of crashes I've been experiencing. These are when the game freezes after you have selected your plane and airport/route and pressed "FLY," while the pretty landscape loading screen is showing, with the status bar at about 60%. That still happens, not often but about as often as before.

Hopefully some of you are having less CTDs or experiencing some benefit from the new patch.

August

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    BTW Tom, if you run MSFS on that laptop of yours, then I would love to see a screenshot of yours, really. Out of pure curiosity.
    Disclaimer - I may be playing with some of these again soon.

When the sim first launched, I found a video on YT that showed the differences between the high and low settings for every option in the graphics list at the time. I still point people to this. Warning - get a pen and paper. It's 48+ minutes!

These are my current settings. Note - I'm launching the sim right now to reset Buildings from High to Medium after watching the first part of the video again. There's virtually no gain with High or Ultra.

V-Sync > Off
    Anti-Aliasing > TAA
    Terrain LOD > 100
    Terrain Vector Data > Medium
    Buildings > Medium
    Trees > High
    Grass/Bushes > High
    Objects LOD > 50
    Clouds > Ultra
    Texture Resolution > Low
    Anisotropic Filtering > 4x
    Texuture Supersampling > 4x4
    Texture Synthesis > Low
    Water Waves > High
    Shadow Maps 2048
    Terrain Shadowns 128
    Contact Shadowns > Ultra
    Windshield Effects > High (no glass screen reflections)
    Ambient Occlusion > Ultra
    Reflections > Ultra
    Bloom > On
    Depth of Field > Off
    Lens Correction > Off
    Lens Flare > Off
    Glass Refresh Rate > High
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Disclaimer - I may be playing with some of these again soon.

When the sim first launched, I found a video on YT that showed the differences between the high and low settings for every option in the graphics list at the time. I still point people to this. Warning - get a pen and paper. It's 48+ minutes!

These are my current settings. Note - I'm launching the sim right now to reset Buildings from High to Medium after watching the first part of the video again. There's virtually no gain with High or Ultra.

V-Sync > Off
    Anti-Aliasing > TAA
    Terrain LOD > 100
    Terrain Vector Data > Medium
    Buildings > Medium
    Trees > High
    Grass/Bushes > High
    Objects LOD > 50
    Clouds > Ultra
    Texture Resolution > Low
    Anisotropic Filtering > 4x
    Texuture Supersampling > 4x4
    Texture Synthesis > Low
    Water Waves > High
    Shadow Maps 2048
    Terrain Shadowns 128
    Contact Shadowns > Ultra
    Windshield Effects > High (no glass screen reflections)
    Ambient Occlusion > Ultra
    Reflections > Ultra
    Bloom > On
    Depth of Field > Off
    Lens Correction > Off
    Lens Flare > Off
    Glass Refresh Rate > High
    Thanks (again) Tom!

Which brings me to another point (actually the reverse point): when toning down from ultra or high to medium, do you notice a performance gain?

I know, I'm a lazy b*****d. It's just that I have to get up at 05:30 tomorrow.

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

When I first started with MSFS, yes, I did notice a gain in frames. I still struggled to get over 25, but it was flyable over all but the densest photogrammetry locations. I still haven't flown over Manhattan since SU5, but I'm hopeful. I suppose if I really want to benchmark it, I could just spawn at London City and see what happens there. The things I have dialed back are the things I saw in that video that made the least impact on visuals, so I figured I could save a few GPU cycles without them.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Tom,

I tried out your settings on my rig, and one (or all) seem to have resolved the micro-stuttering that I was experiencing. Thank you for doing the leg work on the YouTube video.

Previously I had everything set to high, with a few things like clouds on Ultra. Honestly, I can’t see where things have been “cranked-down” with the changes I made based on your settings.

Day before yesterday decided to move my installation of P3Dv5 in one of the pc´s to another drive in order to get more free space into my 1Tb SSD
    After new install of 3PD, configured it, all of Orbx stuff (plenty of it), some planes, etc and run it. Almost forgot how it looked...so, it´s going to sleep again...and had to pay for it twice, since I have two pc´s. One will be useless now. Other iddle...
    MSFS, no, much cheaper.
    I think that Asobo has a very good product. Some problems of course, but they trying to solve them. I welcome every update and hotfix. Some of the mods I find in flightsim.to are precious for me mostly the ones for Portugal.
    So I´m quite happy with Asobo, MSFS and about those updates and fixes and hotfix for the hotfix, they are very much welcome. Only wish they make a better config for my Thrustmaster 16000...
    Regards

Members who have read this thread: 0