YSim Sonex JSX-2 SubSonex jet

Thread: YSim Sonex JSX-2 SubSonex jet

YSim Sonex JSX-2 SubSonex jet

I ventured over to SimMarket this weekend to download an update for the IndiaFoxTecho Long-Eze and discovered this little gem:

https://secure.simmarket.com/ysim-subsonex-jsx-2-msfs.phtml

Having followed Sonex Aircraft out of Oshkosh's work for sometime I had to pick it up. I believe this is the first product for this developer but it seems to have been done with the blessing if not cooperation of Sonex. If you are unfamiliar this is a small, lightweight single set jet built from a kit. Very similar in concept to the BD-5J.

Having taken it up for a few flights this weekend I can offer a quick review. The 3d modeling seems accurate and it looks the part. The textures and materials don't seem to be quite on par with the default aircraft but they are quite a bit better then we have been used to with P3D aircraft. There are approximately 5 real world liveries available and they are all quite well done if occasionally lacking in a few details. For avionics you are given a choice between the Garmin G3X and the more common MGL EFIS that seems to be commonly used in the real aircraft. The MGL is developer built and is not quite full featured yet but still very well done. In my limited experience so far the G3X is the tool to use for navigation and the MGL is quite valuable for trying out an airshow routine with built in pointers to the horizon and a g-meter. You can switch between either from the cockpit without reloading the aircraft.

As for the flight model, performance seems very accurate. Handling is agile without being too twitchy. You can roll and loop till your heart is content and fuel is low and still carry out a nice stable approach for landing. I haven't compared the sim handling to the various magazine write ups I've seen but the sim is certainly quite believable. It is a fun little airplane! Sounds are perfectly appropriate for the small turbojet. Smoke is currently broken after the SU5 update but it sounds like the developer knows and may provide a fix.

It's looks can be a bit polarizing so it may not be for everyone but if you've an interest in Sonex or little planes to fling around the sky for 20 minutes it might be a nice fit! I'm definitely having fun with it!

Chris

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to pick this up, eventually.

I wasn't sure about this model at first, it's so radio controlled aircraft looking, but then I checked out the real machine on YT and yes it really looks like a a radio controlled aircraft, so the MSFS version is spot on :-) It's an easy and relaxing fun flying machine good for some sightseeing with a little speed behind you. https://youtu.be/e6QJf83Oe3w

Quote Originally Posted by jetstreamsky View Post
    I wasn't sure about this model at first, it's so radio controlled aircraft looking, but then I checked out the real machine on YT and yes it really looks like a a radio controlled aircraft, so the MSFS version is spot on :-) It's an easy and relaxing fun flying machine good for some sightseeing with a little speed behind you. https://youtu.be/e6QJf83Oe3w
    Yes, its an odd looking little machine isn't it? If you haven't seen it the kit manufacturer website is here:

https://www.sonexaircraft.com/

They produce several kits for the homebuilt market including the single seat jet. I think the jet has been on the market for about 5 years now but the company has been in business for more than 20. They are working on a two seat jet as well!

Chris

Interesting. How fast is this little contraption?
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    Interesting. How fast is this little contraption?
    According to Wiki:

Performance

Cruise speed: 210 kn (240 mph, 390 km/h) TAS
    Stall speed: 50 kn (58 mph, 93 km/h) landing configuration
    Never exceed speed: 249 kn (287 mph, 462 km/h)
    Range: 420 nmi (480 mi, 770 km) with 30 minute reserve
    g limits: +4.4/-2.2 in utility configuration, +6/-3 in aerobatic configuration
    Rate of climb: 1,600 ft/min (8.1 m/s) initial at sea level
    Fuel consumption: 18 US gallons (68 L) per hour
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 1