Installing Aerosoft Tomcat into P3DV5. Headache.

Thread: Installing Aerosoft Tomcat into P3DV5. Headache.

Installing Aerosoft Tomcat into P3DV5. Headache.

I literally spent hours, yesterday, trying to get the mighty Aerosoft Tomcat to reinstall back into my P3DV5 install, with no success and increasing frustration.

In my files, I have my registration/serial number, and two AS installers: AS_F-14-Extended_P3D_V300, and AS_F-14-Extended_P3DV4_V3010. I know that the second file includes a Updater Tool that I can't remember how to use.

I can't figure this out. I am hoping someone can help me?

What it keeps doing is sending to a P3DV4 Addons folder, which I do NOT have V4 installed, and there isn't a option to point it to my P3DV5 Addons folder. I tried, several times, using a migration tool to install to V5 Addons folder, but no joy there, either.

I HAD have it installed in V5, but cannot remember how I did it! Pete

Will it install into documents/p3d v4?

If so, go with that and then move it over to documents/P3Dv5.

There really is no difference between the two. If v5 isn't an option in the installer itself then that is your only option.

That's it. You do what Franks says and then:

In documents\Aerosoft F-14 Extended, you'll find the "add-on.xml". Open this with Notepad (Notepad++ is better) and change the component paths (there are a lot of them).
    Instead of "Prepar3D v4 Add-ons", you'll need "Prepar3D v5 Add-ons" in each path. Check that you've changed all of them, then save your changes.

Once you've done that, you can then add the F-14 to V5 in the normal way.

I've not managed to get the burner effects to display in V5

The Updater tool can be found in the Start menu. "aerosoft - Updater" is what you're looking for.

Dave

I've had similar problems with installers with fixed pathways or things of this nature. I've actually copied the P3Dv4 .exe file and pasted it back into the same P3D directory and actually have renamed the copied .exe file whatever I wanted, Like FSX.exe for example. I've done this with FSX installers from my old purchased aircraft and got the aircraft into P3Dv4. Since I don't have FSX installed. Just fools the installer, the file structures are identical otherwise.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

I keep a working backup of my previous working installation (ie:P3Dv4+) with all aircraft and gauges files.
    Installation of something like the F14 can be as simple as copying the backup aircraft file and the appropriate gauges across to the v5 file.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch00 View Post
    I've had similar problems with installers with fixed pathways or things of this nature. I've actually copied the P3Dv4 .exe file and pasted it back into the same P3D directory and actually have renamed the copied .exe file whatever I wanted, Like FSX.exe for example. I've done this with FSX installers from my old purchased aircraft and got the aircraft into P3Dv4. Since I don't have FSX installed. Just fools the installer, the file structures are identical otherwise.
    You don't even need two real exe's. Creating a text file called P3Dv4.txt and changing the txt into exe also does the trick. I created an FSX.exe that way in v5 and it works like a charm!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Well, after almost two full days of fighting with my P3DV5 installation, (and uncounted unsuccessful attempts at installing the Aerosoft Tomcat into V5 and updating it), I have thrown in the towel for now. Things went from bad to worse. I had given up getting the Tomcat installed; that was bad enough. But then the sim started stuttering. NOTHING I did had any effect on it, period. Zip, zero, nada. I had no addons installed. Pure vanilla installation of P3DV5, but no amount of settings fixed the damn pausing, buffering, stuttering, etc..... I have a I7 8700K CPU, ASUS GTX 1080ti 11gb GPU with up to date driver, 64 gb of DRAM, a M.2. 2tb SSD, and running Windows 10.

I did a clean install, or so I thought? It WAS running perfectly with V5.

For now, I am back to P3DV4.5. It runs like a raped ape on my machine, with super high settings/graphics, etc... NO stuttering. And I have my favorites installed so far, namely Simworks Phantom, Midway and Nimitz, AND the Aerosoft Tomcat installed in 4.5. ALL of them showing up and operating as advertised, including the Kitty's afterburner effects.
    I gotta give my back and eyes a rest. Both are hurting way too much. NC

I must admit that I cheat. I have both P3Dv4.5 and P3Dv5.2 installed, so if I want an aircraft in v5 that's already in v4 I simply link it in v5's add-ons.cfg.
    That's what I've done in this case.

Dave

NC, sorry to hear of your troubles. I have never moved from P3D 4.5 as it looks and runs beautifully. Not yet persuaded v5 benefits outweigh the problems. But open always to being persuaded!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Well, after almost two full days of fighting with my P3DV5 installation, (and uncounted unsuccessful attempts at installing the Aerosoft Tomcat into V5 and updating it), I have thrown in the towel for now. Things went from bad to worse. I had given up getting the Tomcat installed; that was bad enough. But then the sim started stuttering. NOTHING I did had any effect on it, period. Zip, zero, nada. I had no addons installed. Pure vanilla installation of P3DV5, but no amount of settings fixed the damn pausing, buffering, stuttering, etc..... I have a I7 8700K CPU, ASUS GTX 1080ti 11gb GPU with up to date driver, 64 gb of DRAM, a M.2. 2tb SSD, and running Windows 10.

I did a clean install, or so I thought? It WAS running perfectly with V5.

For now, I am back to P3DV4.5. It runs like a raped ape on my machine, with super high settings/graphics, etc... NO stuttering. And I have my favorites installed so far, namely Simworks Phantom, Midway and Nimitz, AND the Aerosoft Tomcat installed in 4.5. ALL of them showing up and operating as advertised, including the Kitty's afterburner effects.
    I gotta give my back and eyes a rest. Both are hurting way too much. NC
    Chief, I'm agreeing with ya. Recently I reinstalled P3D v5.2, and I'm bitterly disappointed. This weekend, I'm removing it and going back to v4.5 to enjoy the planes that aren't available yet in MSFS.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

After reading here about all the "issues" with 5.1 yada yada, I'm so glad I still use 4.5.

Was thinking about upgrade to V5 but looks like there are still "issues" to sort so I am in no rush, at least for now,

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    After reading here about all the "issues" with 5.1 yada yada, I'm so glad I still use 4.5.

Was thinking about upgrade to V5 but looks like there are still "issues" to sort so I am in no rush, at least for now,
    I really messed things up. Am having to completely reinstall Windows 10.

Members who have read this thread: 0