Updated V5 to latest version. That was a big mistake.

Thread: Updated V5 to latest version. That was a big mistake.

Updated V5 to latest version. That was a big mistake.

I made the mistake of updating V5 to the latest available on the Lockheed website. I decided to update the Client AND the Content, but not the Scenery. Well, I started at about 8 this morning, and just now gave up for the day. The sim was running perfectly, prior to my decision to update. Now? Nothing but problems. Stutters, pauses (buffers) constantly. I have tried every setting I can think of, to no avail. And yes, every time I attempted to start over (uninstall the client, content; then reinstall, etc....) I made sure to deleted the Shader and P3D.cfg files. I have to stop for the day before I break something.

I finally DID manage to update MSFS. If I couldn't have achieved at least THAT, I was going to say to hell with heartburn, I am drinking some beer.

Normally I wait a long time before updating, EXACTLY because of the crap I am going through now. AARRRGGGHHH! NC

Sorry to hear this. When I do do the updates, and I do it a lot, I totally remove the previous version. It takes a while but it is worth it.
    Seems the longest part of it is always the full download (start a movie on TV) and unzipping (finish the movie on TV).

I always delete the entire Prepar3D v5 folders under...

%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
    %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5

... and then restart. Let P3D remake it all.

Look under here for more info. https://www.prepar3d.com/frequently-asked-questions/
    Hope this helps.

I outdid myself this time. I messed up things SO bad, I wasn't able to uninstall P3D normally; I had to manually delete all folders, app data entries, etc... I then, after making stupid errors, trying to install V5, I finally accomplished it successfully. Now, on to RE-INSTALLING add-ons. Thank goodness I finally learned to save all of them, including serials/registrations on more than one external drive. NC

Can I ask what order you updated in?

It seems that the suggestion is for the order to be:
    1. content
    2. scenery
    3. client

Things happen if this order isn't followed exactly.

If you've followed the old order (client, content, scenery) things aren't too bad, though. Simply update the client again.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    Can I ask what order you updated in?

It seems that the suggestion is for the order to be:
    1. content
    2. scenery
    3. client

Things happen if this order isn't followed exactly.

If you've followed the old order (client, content, scenery) things aren't too bad, though. Simply update the client again.

Dave
    When did the order of installation change?? Lockheed, themselves, in their Installation PDF, still say Client, Content, Scenery - which I did. Anyway, 'Tis all installed now..

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    When did the order of installation change?? Lockheed, themselves, in their Installation PDF, still say Client, Content, Scenery - which I did. Anyway, 'Tis all installed now..
    This was discussed on this forum some while ago -- see the thread here.

Dave

This was discussed on this forum some while ago -- see the thread here.

Dave
    OK thanks.

There's more information on this topic here.

Dave

There's more information on this topic here.

Dave
    Thanks, Dave. I am beginning to slowly add stuff now. Just finished with Active Sky Cloud Art and Active Sky.

One word: Backup.

I have three external HDDs, and I backup everything at least twice a week.

Dave

One word: Backup.

I have three external HDDs, and I backup everything at least twice a week.

Dave
    I have zero excuse for not doing so, either. I have a LOT of external storage; way more than needed. Thanks, Dave.

Members who have read this thread: 0