Sim Update 5 can be downloaded - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sim Update 5 can be downloaded

finally done, a little over 6 hours later. First flight in the classic Cessna -- not a good start. Couldn't turn the fuel selector (even when I switched the cockpit mode back to Legacy), the trim wheel only moves to three positions :-) (all up, center, all down), my left/right view controls were reversed (easy fix) and then I got a CTD on approach to an airport only 5 miles from where I took off. Next flight in the really basic C152: First thing I noticed -- the strobes don't work. The switch moves but no lights.

And this is with no add-ons in the Community Folder yet. :-) I'm guessing these kinds of bugs were likely identified during the beta but just not addressed in this build so they could meet the schedule (makes sense) and they'll have a hot fix in a week or two to pickup these odd leftovers.

I do like many of the new features, the new map, the new POIs, more (and smaller) planes on the selection screen, etc. I didn't notice any performance improvement on the two short flights but I'm guessing I'll see that when I fly a more complex plane and into a large city and airport. I'm done staring at update bars for the night :-)

- dcc
    - -

First folder written at 1815, last one at 2256. I've been in the sim for all of about 5 minutes - too tired for anything else. It seems as if heavy frame areas induce a system that keeps things down just enough to maintain 20 FPS - at least that's what happened when I was droning around London. I used to get horrible frames there after that world update. At KGSO, I used to get about 25 frames, now that's up to around 35 - not quite doubled, but an improvement. I wasn't really expecting 50 on my rig anyway. It's 2325 local and I need to get up at 0600. I'm going to make one last check of the official board and then it's bed time!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Perhaps I'm one of the lucky few who have not had any issues with the update. Things have changed, mostly for the better (at least for me). One of the most significant for me is the draw distance for buildings and trees. Much more realistic and immersive. The update came out while I was working so I wasn't able to download anything until this evening. TBH I was expecting a sh**show based on what I was seeing on Reddit and on the forums here but was pleasantly surprised that the total downloads only took a couple of hours. I've learned over the years to NEVER update right away. I saw that the servers were overloaded at some point earlier today. Haven't had time to play with the graphics settings but am hopeful that I can safely crank up some of the settings from my current High End presets.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

What I don't like is I have CTD often now, with this SU5 (near 50% starts the simulator, it takes place about 5 minutes from entering the cockpit). Before that, I never really had .... Ok, I removed now all Community addons, even ORBX sceneries and will check.
    The rest is fine for me.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    What I don't like is I have CTD often now, with this SU5 (near 50% starts the simulator, it takes place about 5 minutes from entering the cockpit). Before that, I never really had .... Ok, I removed now all Community addons, even ORBX sceneries and will check.
    The rest is fine for me.
    Are you suggesting after updating and before starting make sure the community folder is empty and then try one by one?? It's my 1st time doing the update and around other place's im hearing always something with the community folder, usually add on aircraft 3rd party lol.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

XBox skin

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Are you suggesting after updating and before starting make sure the community folder is empty and then try one by one?? It's my 1st time doing the update and around other place's im hearing always something with the community folder, usually add on aircraft 3rd party lol.
    About more CTD in SU5, it looks like its known bug with AI Traffic:
    https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/...d-May-28-2021-

Sim may crash when flying with AI traffi
    • Workaround:
    • Set AI Traffic settings off by going to General > Traffic > Aircraft Traffic Type > OFF

Quote Originally Posted by zsoltquack View Post
    The pilots disappeared from the all planes!
    In default I have it.

In default I have it.
    And many times CTD
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

So, finally everything was finished, updated the DC-6, which is my main aircraft right now and went right into a flight from Monterey to KSFO. After takeoff I had some stuttering issues at one point. Going to ESC menu and back fixed it. Strange thing is that after this move, I was registered under flight following with a Transponder ID set, without me ever requesting anything. So that was weird and until I requested landing at KSFO ATC wasn't really working. At KSFO Tower everything was running normally again, even if I seem to have been alone in the skies (AI was set to live traffic). Good thing to report is that the flight over the Bay Area (was using the Blue Angels skin, so I entered the bay the correct way flying under that big bridge), was completely smooth. Also landing at KSFO during dawn complete with all the light effects it was really good on FPS for me. Even with some people reporting in the PMDG forum that the 6 does not benefit as much from the update as other aircraft, I was really happy. Looks like I can happily continue my US tour with this bird and hit the major hubs as well. When traffic gets fixed that might take some FPS out but I am still quite optimistic.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

About CTD, you can report it here (must be logged):

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/...s/requests/new

Installed just fine after removing the community folder. Started the sim with no problem after uploading all the updates.

Then reinstalled my community folder and ... well nothing. Can set up a fligt, loading screen rolls to 100% and nothing happens after that. Just frozen.

Then I discoverd within the content manager that a few of my addons from the community folder were marked as not installed. Including AI ship traffic and some port overs. Will try to remove those first and see what happens next.

On my short trial without additional content I noticed better looking water, slightly blurry buildings, but somehow great LOD radius for trees e.g. I love how they improve things while screwing up others.

This update will keep me busy I guess, and not flying busily as it seems for now.

Alex
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

I thought that it was a good time to start the update while working from home. Gaming PC on the wired network, work laptop on the WiFi. After 20 minutes, I'm at 4% of the total download, not counting what awaits in the content manager. I first thought to have it run overnight, but decided against that.

Oh well! The Lord giveth and Micro$oft taketh away!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Don't forget the Content Manager once you're in - I'm currently downloading another 21.46 GB!!!
    What appeared in your content manager to update the 21 Gb? Did your content mgr update automatically or did you have to manually do something? I selected all that required updates 63, for about 25 GB and updated. I get get the new interface menus and screens but once I push "FLY" a scenic frame appears and will not proceed beyond. Seems I won't be flying for quite a while. All previous updates went flawlessly.

What is the best way to get help from MS?

Jim

Well updated to the latest version after taking ages, but now when I go to load a flight the game crashes.

I am using the latest driver from Nvidia 471.41.

Still downloading here. Speeds are all over the place... Should have waited a couple days more.

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

I managed to get a flight having removed the community folder, but then it crashed again.

After three hours of fiddling I am completely fed up

When I empty my community folder I can use the sim, but as soon as I put any third party aircraft (including payware) or let alone scenery addons inside the community folder all is screwed up again.

Hope they get a hotfix for this reenabling the use of third party content again. Really depressing, won´t be much into flying for a while, I guess.

Regards
    Alex
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

I'm still downloading, but can anyone report that the Flyingiron Spit still works??

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Well there goes using portovers in VR damn it
    The workaround of only using the exterior model doesn't work anymore, you just get no VC and as previously using both models CTD's as soon as you switch to VR mode.
    So unless someone comes up with another workaround us VR pilots are SOL.

They still work OK in pancake mode though so that's good news for the non VRers I suppose.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Yes,

This MSFS update has confused a lot of things :evil:

the MV Corsair menu tray does not work
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Official instructions from Microsoft/Asobo are to ensure your Community folder is empty when updating. Just rename it to something else like "CommunityOld" or whatever you want really. Then add them back once the update is complete.

However, as with all PC games that support mods, it is safe to assume that new updates will break your mods and that the developers of your mods will have to update them. Some developers receive early access to the sim updates to ensure their products are ready to go once the sim updates.

So after a major update like Sim Update 5, you are going to want to wait for developers to update their aircraft. Issues are likely going to be more common in complex aircraft like PMDG's DC-6, but it's also possible for simple aircraft to require an update as well. If a change is made in the base sim for example, that suddenly all ruder input is increased by 50% (I'm just making this up as an example), then that is a change that will likely require ALL aircraft to be updated.

I hope that was clear enough, I haven't had any coffee yet so forgive me if it wasnt

XBox skin
    Yuck! Keep it. I just want a working sim. MS really wants you to drop the PC and move over to Xbox for flight sim. That's been the plan all along.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

SOH-CM-2023
    My content manager shows a "World Update Japan I file" that is partially loaded with an error 3 message. If I select this file a delete message appears at the bottom of the screen. Can I delete the file so that the file will still appear in the content manager and allow a reinstall? Sorry for the dumb question, but I've never done this before.

Possibly this partially loaded file is why I can set up a flight but not fly it.

Your experienced comments are appreciated.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Yuck! Keep it. I just want a working sim. MS really wants you to drop the PC and move over to Xbox for flight sim. That's been the plan all along.
    What a ridiculous and uninformed opinion. What has Microsoft done to make you think they want you to abandon your PC and buy an Xbox? I'm genuinely curious.

Members who have read this thread: 0