No external lights on any aircraft, period.
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: No external lights on any aircraft, period.

  1. #1

    No external lights on any aircraft, period.

    I am still troubleshooting, trying to find the reason for it, but none of my aircraft (stock OR add-on) have working lights. All of the panel lights seem to work OK, and although the external light switches are selected, no dice. Pressing the "L" key turns on/off the panel lights, but nothing else. NC

  2. #2
    I'm not fully sure, but I believe in MSFS the external lights are not shown in the same way they were in FSX/P3D.
    Think about the Milviz Phantoms for example. These have a precise on/off appearance that doesn't use that exaggerated light halo from the default planes.
    Have you checked by night ? No visible differences between on and off ?

  3. #3
    SOH-CM-2021 MrZippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sam Clam's Disco, Calif.
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,350
    Checking my "cheat sheet" that I printed a few months ago:

    Toggle Landing Lights.......Ctrl+L
    Toggle Strobes.................O
    Toggle Beacon Lights........Alt+H
    Toggle NAV Lights............Alt+J
    Toggle Taxi Lights............Alt+N

    There were other keystrokes for moving the landing light in different directions. Hope this helps in your troubleshooting, Pete!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

  4. #4
    Ok, I finally got around to checking things again this morning. Nope. No go. The keyboard commands do NOT turn on the exterior lights, period. I have no idea what is wrong.

  5. #5
    The only things I can think of might seem too obvious. Are you looking real close? Exterior lights in MSFS are a LOT dimmer than in prior sims. You can't hardly see them in daylight, but you can if you look close.

    Battery/electrics on?

    I'm trying to think of anything in the Settings that could affect this, but nothing comes to mind.

    August

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    The only things I can think of might seem too obvious. Are you looking real close? Exterior lights in MSFS are a LOT dimmer than in prior sims. You can't hardly see them in daylight, but you can if you look close.

    Battery/electrics on?

    I'm trying to think of anything in the Settings that could affect this, but nothing comes to mind.

    August

    All electric are on. Panel lighting, as mentioned, is ok, but nothing external. What's even more frustrating is I can't find posts about this same problem anywhere. A couple about panel lighting, but not exterior. NC

  7. #7
    I just loaded up the A320. Went into cockpit view, and watched the overhead console switches as I pressed the various individual keyboard commands for all the lights, i.e. Strobe, Navigation, etc.... All the switches move as advertised, but with zero effect, lighting-wise. If I select "L" on the keyboard, the only thing that toggles on/off is Panel lighting, as is the case with all other aircraft. NC

  8. #8
    Have you tried removing everything out of your Community folder, and then seeing if the lights on the remaining
    default aircraft work (just in case some third party add-on is somehow running interference)?

    If you have Addon Linker, this is easy to do. If not, I think you can just rename your Community folder.

  9. #9
    Ok, I just renamed the Community Folder (I do have Addon-Linker, but have some add-ons that were not installed using that app). Anyway, nothing changed. Same problem. I just submitted Help request to MSFS. Probably a waste of time, but am running out of ideas here.

  10. #10
    I haven't tried this mod, but you may want to give it a shot.

    https://uwajimaya.github.io/FS2020/

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    I haven't tried this mod, but you may want to give it a shot.

    https://uwajimaya.github.io/FS2020/
    I appreciate the link, but I want to do a little more investigating, hoping to find the solution for why it WAS working, but now isn't!! NC

  12. #12
    Have you posted over at the official forum? There are users there that know this thing inside and out, so they might have an answer.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Have you posted over at the official forum? There are users there that know this thing inside and out, so they might have an answer.
    I don't think I have posted there yet, but will. I posted on Reddit, where I rarely post, and not surprisingly have had zero response. I may not hear anything from Microsoft either, but..... NC

  14. #14

  15. #15
    I tried everything, but no luck. I finally relented and did a clean reinstall. All lights are back. NC

  16. #16
    SOH-CM-2021 MrZippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sam Clam's Disco, Calif.
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I tried everything, but no luck. I finally relented and did a clean reinstall. All lights are back. NC
    A shame you had to go through that! Too bad there is no Repair or verify game cache.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

  17. #17
    There is a repair and reset options under Advanced Options if you look up the Sim in the Apps & Features tab of windows settings. No idea if that affects the cache but may help fix some things when all else has failed.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstreamsky View Post
    There is a repair and reset options under Advanced Options if you look up the Sim in the Apps & Features tab of windows settings. No idea if that affects the cache but may help fix some things when all else has failed.
    I think that's available only for MS store purchased MSFS; I don't think the reset/repair option is available for Steam purchased MSFS - or
    at least I've never been able to find it. All that's available in the Apps and Features for my Steam purchased MSFS is "Uninstall".

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    I think that's available only for MS store purchased MSFS; I don't think the reset/repair option is available for Steam purchased MSFS - or
    at least I've never been able to find it. All that's available in the Apps and Features for my Steam purchased MSFS is "Uninstall".

    Correct. I did try the "Verify Files" option. Did no good. Did a initial uninstall, but forgot to delete all the packages from previous install. On e I figured that out and uninstalled and reinstalled, all was well. I'd made a copy of my Community folder beforehand.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    I think that's available only for MS store purchased MSFS; I don't think the reset/repair option is available for Steam purchased MSFS - or
    at least I've never been able to find it. All that's available in the Apps and Features for my Steam purchased MSFS is "Uninstall".
    I'd love to have that repair and reset option and I'm a Steam user. I've been having controller problems for quite some time now.

    Priller
    Intel i7 9700K
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Motherboard
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 970 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Western Digital 2TB WD Black Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

  21. #21
    It's possible that the external light textures were overwritten or became corrupted by an add-on. There's a LIGHTS and a NAVSTROBE folder located in: Packages\Official\OneStore\fs-base\texture, it might be worth keeping a backup just in case.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    It's possible that the external light textures were overwritten or became corrupted by an add-on. There's a LIGHTS and a NAVSTROBE folder located in: Packages\Official\OneStore\fs-base\texture, it might be worth keeping a backup just in case.
    Thanks Tiger. I will do that. I am a little surprised there aren't others posting about the problem I had with this. NC

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    I'd love to have that repair and reset option and I'm a Steam user. I've been having controller problems for quite some time now.

    Priller

    Priller, I am guessing that deleting your controllers from your profile, and then adding them again does not help? NC

  23. #23
    I hadn't considered the Steam version would be different, but just in case it wasn't noticed, the advance options is under the application name rather than a button.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AO.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	83713

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstreamsky View Post
    I hadn't considered the Steam version would be different, but just in case it wasn't noticed, the advance options is under the application name rather than a button.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AO.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	83713
    Great tip, thanks! NC

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Thanks Tiger. I will do that. I am a little surprised there aren't others posting about the problem I had with this. NC

    - - - Updated - - -




    Priller, I am guessing that deleting your controllers from your profile, and then adding them again does not help? NC
    Hi Chief,

    I should've thought of that myself, thanks for the pointer!

    Cheers,

    Priller
    Intel i7 9700K
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Motherboard
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 970 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Western Digital 2TB WD Black Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Members who have read this thread: 99

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •