Making new from existing airbases

Thread: Making new from existing airbases

Making new from existing airbases

Several points.

!. I do have some success in making a new airbase using pre-existing mos files but in this case it is the dds files which are a small issue with the dds file ACC_USAAF-Bomber_3.dds in that the base extends beyond the so called grass outline. Changing the outline makes no difference as the mos file seems to be only 1 layer. Are there other ways to extend 'grass' so that the taxiways etc. are not out of the area. See below.

2. On the other hand, I am having no luck with other bases such as the following
    to quote

"I am making RAF Fairwood Common (now Swansea Airport), which was used at various periods by various RAF NF squadrons.

I took Binbrook 1943 mos and AAF_Binbrook-1943_airbase.XML files and changed the names to the equivalent for Fairwood Common. I get the facilities on the ground but not the airbase mos/dds's to show. I have checked all naming and that all dds files are there but no joy.

The folders/files with the same or appropriate name (based on comparable working bases) are
    GSL entry names
    Facility entry names
    Airfields folder and mos file names
    qclocation entry
    AFAIK, that's all that should be needed for it to work, but......."

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

SOH-CM-2020
    Which format are you following? Are you following what they did with ETO? Separate folders for dds, mos etc. I only tried this exercise once ages ago, and I followed the ETO approach.

@1: Did you also adjust the .dds file's alpha channel?

If you only repainted the grass area on the .dds but not on its alpha channel, the texture used in the alpha channel will still make your newly painted areas 'see-through'. Open your .dds file in DXTBmp and look at the upper right corner to check the alpha channel's texture. You probably need to repaint the grass area there as well.

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    @1: Did you also adjust the .dds file's alpha channel?

If you only repainted the grass area on the .dds but not on its alpha channel, the texture used in the alpha channel will still make your newly painted areas 'see-through'. Open your .dds file in DXTBmp and look at the upper right corner to check the alpha channel's texture. You probably need to repaint the grass area there as well.
    This is as I found it in ETO. I haven't touched it.

On the other hand, I could re do the dds with another layer, an alpha, on GIMP, and DXTBmp.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    Which format are you following? Are you following what they did with ETO? Separate folders for dds, mos etc. I only tried this exercise once ages ago, and I followed the ETO approach.
    The mos files are in the airfields folder(s) while the dds are in the assets folder.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    This is as I found it in ETO. I haven't touched it. ...
    Just to make sure there's no miscommunication: you mentioned in your first post that "Changing the outline makes no difference" and that you are asking if there are ways to extend the grass area. Yet in the quote above you say you didn't touch anything. You can't have it both ways; not touching anything and still hoping to extend the grass area . IMHO, it can only be done by repainting both the texture and the alpha channel's texture.

I have also given your #2 question a thought but since the airfield apparently shows (but without a ground texture), I wouldn't be looking in the global layer, airfield .xml and qclocations file. Those clearly work, otherwise the airfield wouldn't show or be selectable in the UI. I think texture problems are caused through the .mos or by typos in file names (I have made many, even after triple checking). Have you tried renaming a copy of the .dds file(s) involved to your new airfield file's name and replacing all .dds calls in the .mos? (Effectively creating a standalone of the airfield).

I think a mis communication on my part. I was referring to changing the dds files in the mos. In any case problem solved as mentioned in my email. You gave me the idea in any case on how to deal with it.

Members who have read this thread: 0