Updating missions

Thread: Updating missions

Updating missions

If you decide to update missions it is best to hand edit the mission file and not use the mission builder if you don't have to.You use the folder name of the ship or plane you are changing.Simple copy and paste.

If you have carriers in the mission and you use mission builder the planes will be in the air and not on the carrier for takeoff.If you hand edit the plane will still be on the carrier so you can takeoff,same goes for carrier when you hand edit.If you use the MB the plane will be in the air.

Do the same if the planes takeoff from a land base or you have the same problem.

Sometimes ships are grouped together around 1 ship,which all the ships follow,in this case you have to go into the mission builder to change them.If this is the case make sure you have the dyn.files backed up and saved.After you made the changes to the missions put the saved dyn.files back in and over write the ones already in there.
    Sometimes when you do the changes in MB you mess up the dynamics of the mission.Remember some mission builders hand edit their missions and if you change things in the MB it changes some other things.

TheBookie

This is a very useful reminder TheBookie

Also, quite often some of the more extensive manual edits can render a mission file unreadable to Mission Builder..

For instance, the Brief, Scuttlebutt & Debrief texts are quite limited in size. You can expand this by making hand edits, but then if you try to reload the mission into mission builder it will tell you the mission is not formatted correctly. There are lots of little quirks like this, Mission Builder is a very useful program, but it has limitations.

You can do lots of things just using Notepad to make hand edits, & these can embellish a basic Mission Builder mission & improve the experience.

I guess the maxim has to be: use Mission Builder for the basic stuff, keep a separate copy of this as a backup (in case you want to change things later in MB), create a separate file for your hand edits, & keep a record of what you did! This makes it easier to reproduce things if you find you have to go back into Mission Builder to change anything later.

UT,

What I'm talking about is just changing ships and planes and how to do it correctly.People don't realize that you can change the whole dynamic in a mission by just changing a plane.I'm just trying to give them a guide of how to do things.

There is also a limit on waypoints you can use for ships.

I've done missions for CFS2,CFS3 and IL-2 and the best MB is for CFS2.IL-2 has been updated over the years so you can spawn.CFS3 is the worst,sometimes to just place an object in the right location can take an hour.

TheBookie

Icon14 Reply...

The Bookie,

I completely agree, I try to do this as well. Great tips on how to tweak and modify missions!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 0