F1: British Grand Prix

Thread: F1: British Grand Prix

Lightbulb F1: British Grand Prix

Another fantastic job by Max today!
    +1 to LeClerc!
    Ricciardo finally pacing with Lando!
    Alonso & Vettel sticking their noses in!

What did you think about the "Sprint qualifying"? And do you think the did the right think with Russell/Sainz?

Cheers,
    Huub

Think I still prefer the usual format of qualifying, the sprint race just didn't do it for.

Maybe harsh for George but worked out not to bad for Sainz in the end.

Shame for Leclerc he deserved the win.

Icon2

I wish that hadn't of happened.
    And I do sincerely hope that whatever injuries Max has incurred, they are all healed up by his next race.

Let me be as "neutral" as possible here.....

Definites:
    -Lewis is feeling the pressure
    -The pressure has caused him to make mistakes (One being the restart where he was in the wrong gear and arguably today).

This is a different and new pressure for Lewis as he's already faced pressure before from Button, Alonso, and Rosberg - and arguably no other driver has had tougher team mates outside of Lewis save for Senna and Prost. The key difference here (and what makes it "new) is that this pressure is not from a team mate.

Will Lewis continue to be mistake prone as what happened to Vettel when the new "young guns" arrived?
    Possibly.

Danny "Chocolate" Myers said it best when referring to NASCAR greats Jimmie Johnson and Kevin Harvick.
    To paraphrase; "When it ends, there's no gradual decline - it happens suddenly".....

I would have thought Hamilton to have known better than to try and win it on the first lap.
    His car was quicker in a straight line and he must have known that Verstappen would go for broke at the off.
    With his experience (Hamilton) and the Team's racecraft all he had to do was hang behind the RB for a couple of laps and draft past on the longer straight.
    Seems as if an air of desperation is wafting about the MB garage.
    The 'Bin it or win it' approach never works.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

From the interview with Max Verstappen after the sprint qualification you could already conclude that the RB had too much down force to out speed the MB on the straights. So patience definitely was the key.

But what struck me most is the way Lewis celebrated his victory after pushing somebody from the track in one of the fastest corners of the whole series. Even when he was convinced that he was right, he could have shown some respect for a fellow driver, who was in hospital at that moment because of your stupid action.

MB is powerful as they have their own team and supply engines to other team, so FIA won't take any further steps. But when you conclude, like the stewards did, that Hamilton caused the collision a 10 second penalty and 2 point on his license seems to be a very mild penalty to me.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    From the interview with Max Verstappen after the sprint qualification you could already conclude that the RB had too much down force to out speed the MB on the straights. So patience definitely was the key.

But what struck me most is the way Lewis celebrated his victory after pushing somebody from the track in one of the fastest corners of the whole series. Even when he was convinced that he was right, he could have shown some respect for a fellow driver, who was in hospital at that moment because of your stupid action.

MB is powerful as they have their own team and supply engines to other team, so FIA won't take any further steps. But when you conclude, like the stewards did, that Hamilton caused the collision a 10 second penalty and 2 point on his license seems to be a very mild penalty to me.
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    Hamilton acted like he had done nothing wrong. The fact that he was given a 10 second penalty should have told him he was guilty of something.
    To run around the track celebrating while Verstappen was still in the hospital was very low class to me.

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Even when he was convinced that he was right, he could have shown some respect for a fellow driver, who was in hospital at that moment because of your stupid action.
    I agree 100% with you here!
    But I disagree with the racist responses that Lewis received....even with Lewis being wrong as he was...

Ed,
    The racist idiots are always around and so called 'Social Media' is their platform of choice.
    Attacking the trio of British football players for missing penalties in the Cup final recently was typical of these low life Muppets.
    I'm no fan of Hamilton but he doesn't deserve this sort of treatment.
    We Aussies (most of us) don't take that sort of behavior lightly, yesterday (Monday) one of the most obnoxious British 'TV Personalities' (Katie Something?) who somehow found her way into Australia was swiftly returned to the UK.
    Another win for our AFP.

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Danny "Chocolate" Myers said it best when referring to NASCAR greats Jimmie Johnson and Kevin Harvick.
    To paraphrase; "When it ends, there's no gradual decline - it happens suddenly".....
    My ex is a Psychiatrist, and says there is a "switch" in the brain that once all that you can achieve has been accomplished, turns itself off and the "edge" is almost always forever gone. The legends know it's time to quit, but some hang around and embarrass themselves.
    Matt

For what it's worth, F1 is terrified of facing up to Hamilton. He seems to have caught the 'I'm bigger than the sport' disease, although he is not alone, just look back a few years to see the previous holders.

One of the tennants of sport is being non-political but 'H' has changed that rule to fit his 'new agenda' and nobody at the top has dared utter a word. Wonder why?? Obvious....?

I'm fairly sure if it had been any other driver he would have been excluded from the race plus given a huge fine because 'H' should know by now to ignore the 'red curtain' if/when it descends, (which is the province of amateurs and idiots). I don't think he's an amateur.......

Please correct me if I misheard the RB team saying Max hit the tyre wall with a 51G connect. Is that possible? 5.1G more like it?

Graham. Norfolk.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arfyhun View Post
    Please correct me if I misheard the RB team saying Max hit the tyre wall with a 51G connect. Is that possible? 5.1G more like it?
    No, 51G was correct. From 250+ kph to 0 in such a short distance will do that to you.

From what I understand the FIA purely looks at the accident itself and penalizes only that moment. So for hitting Max from behind Lewis gets just a ten second penalty. If there would have been no damage what so ever, just a spinning Red Bull, the penalty would have been the same..
    However Red Bull will also have to deal with the financial consequences (I've heard a figure of $750,000 to fix the car, not counting the engine..) and possible future consequences regarding grid penalties if the engine cannot be repaired.
    Our Dutch commentator is lobbying for a place penalty, like you could get in qualifying or free practice, simply added to the result at the end of the race. Seems like a good idea to me.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by arfyhun View Post
    For what it's worth, F1 is terrified of facing up to Hamilton. He seems to have caught the 'I'm bigger than the sport' disease, although he is not alone, just look back a few years to see the previous holders.

One of the tennants of sport is being non-political but 'H' has changed that rule to fit his 'new agenda' and nobody at the top has dared utter a word. Wonder why?? Obvious....?

I'm fairly sure if it had been any other driver he would have been excluded from the race plus given a huge fine because 'H' should know by now to ignore the 'red curtain' if/when it descends, (which is the province of amateurs and idiots). I don't think he's an amateur.......

Graham. Norfolk.
    Well if you remember...the racism against him started in 2008 (from Alonso fans)....before he started speaking up...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca1 View Post
    My ex is a Psychiatrist, and says there is a "switch" in the brain that once all that you can achieve has been accomplished, turns itself off and the "edge" is almost always forever gone. The legends know it's time to quit, but some hang around and embarrass themselves.
    Well...Jimmie Johnson is saying that he's having fun...

Well...Jimmie Johnson is saying that he's having fun...
    I don't think a driver is allowed to say anything negative publicly about his feelings if he is still an active driver of the series, especially in Amercia. This would be a very negative message to his sponsors. He will likely not give any real feedback before retireing.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I don’t want to add to the mayhem caused by THE ACCIDENT but some observations.

1. Hamilton was in his own countries GP so he was really going for it, even though it was only the first lap. A little restraint here should have happened.
    2. If you are a world class driver, you go for it.
    3. His celebration after the win was WAY over top. I like Hamilton but I was embarrassed for him.
    4. Max is also not an angel on the track, look at his record.
    5. No matter what you think about it, Hamilton’s drive from a 10 second penalty was brilliant.

happy that next Indycar season will have all practice, qualifying and the race itself televised next year. Love the competition here and the non-elitist attitude of the series.

5. No matter what you think about it, Hamilton’s drive from a 10 second penalty was brilliant.
    Do you really think so? His biggest efforts on a row: Overtaking a team mate who was ordered to get out of the way and a Ferrari who slipped of the track on a worn set of tires?

Well if you remember...the racism against him started in 2008 (from Alonso fans)
    Exactly, and the same racism against Hamilton is now displayed by the Verstappen fans.

Moreover, if there is one driver who shouldn't be complaining about reckless and improper driving, it is Verstappen.
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Icon2

Oh Wombat....
    On a side note, I've always thought of Lewis as sort of a modern day James Hunt....

If Hunt were alive today, I suspect that he and Lewis would get along great....

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Exactly, and the same racism against Hamilton is now displayed by the Verstappen fans.

Moreover, if there is one driver who shouldn't be complaining about reckless and improper driving, it is Verstappen.
    Last year Hamilton had 8 penalty points on his super licence and Verstappen 2 penalty points. Now Hamilton has 4 penalty points and Verstappen nil. I think that should say enough about "reckless and improper driving". Obviously there is a small difference in what people think and say and what happens in the real world.

I don't really follow social media in general and definitely not of these "superstars" so I can't say anything about who says what and against who. In my opinion social media is a place where people shout things they don't dare to say elsewhere. So I'm convinced it wan't nice what people said to Hamilton. But in the same country which now shout "Oh and Ah" because some nasty people attack their most popular F1 driver, not to long ago three dark football players were threatened and cursed simply because the Italian were better in taking and stopping penalties.

But as I said before I think the way Hamilton celebrated his victory didn't show any respect to the competitor he had just send to hospital with his "agressive" way of driving (not a word chosen by me, but by Ross Brawn). The same goes for Toto Wolff, who can't accept the verdict of the jury and keeps blaming the victim.

On a side note, I've always thought of Lewis as sort of a modern day James Hunt....
    Apart from the fact they are/were F1 driver I don's see any similarities .

Cheers,
    Huub

Oh Wombat....

If Hunt were alive today, I suspect that he and Lewis would get along great....
    Never thought much of 'Hunt the Shunt' Ed.
    A drunk and a thug on the track, a single title and a particularly unpleasant man in general.
    Hunt earned that nickname for his 'bin it or win it' approach along with his overly aggressive behavior toward track staff as well as his competitors.
    I would hope that Hamilton doesn't end up the same way as Hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Never thought much of 'Hunt the Shunt' Ed.
    A drunk and a thug on the track, a single title and a particularly unpleasant man in general.
    Hunt earned that nickname for his 'bin it or win it' approach along with his overly aggressive behavior toward track staff as well as his competitors.
    I would hope that Hamilton doesn't end up the same way as Hunt.
    I meant more of operating outside of the "we control you" team owner of the driver box (behave properly) & being free to do what he feels like in his off time....

Members who have read this thread: 0