Anti-aliasing question ?

Thread: Anti-aliasing question ?

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

Anti-aliasing question ?

I have my anti-aliasing set to 8X. Is 4X better ,as i see it recommended by others ? Any suggestions ? Regards,Scott

It's just a balance between performance and eye candy. It's pretty hard for me to see a difference between 4x and 8x - it is there, but to my eye it is pretty small probably not worth a hit to performance. 2x you can see a little more difference and none is very noticeable jagged edges. So 2x or 4x is probably the best bang for your buck on most systems. I wouldn't do none unless I really needed to, and 8x doesn't seem worth it unless you've got performance to spare.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice Dan .Noticed a visual/performance gain by going to 4X.More is not always better ! Regards,Scott

I don't use any of the in-game AA settings because the quality is so poor, and they suffer badly from that shimmering crawl on the distant landscape that is a big distraction for me.

I'm using 4X MSAA, combined with 4X SGSSAA to eliminate most of the shimmer. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1214948

8x is just too big of a hit (1/2 the FPS) for too small of an improvement.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    Guess my Nvidea card is too old because i don't have that feature in the control panel . Do i need to download something ? I'm running a GTX 750Ti 2gb .

Yes, it's not available through the traditional control panel. You need Profile Inspector https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nv...3-0-12.425787/ to access these options. See here https://gnd-tech.com/2020/05/how-to-...re-dx10-games/ for more details.

The SGSSAA option has been around (but hidden by Nividia) since back before I was running on a GTX 270, so your GPU is more than capable of accessing it.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Andy ! Will get my mind around this one and do some reading up on how to use this feature. Hopefully some better graphics in store. You guys are so much help ! Thanks...

Are the framerates with those settings about the same as 4x AA?

Blog Entries
    Think i have a bad problem....just had day surgery today and still tinkering of CFS3. I think there is no cure for this problem ! Regards,Scott

Blog Entries
    The tutorial at gnd-tech is wonderful... now if i could just get my rotary phone mind around it !

Blog Entries
    Got it done and it is very worthwhile to do it. Significant improvement achieved ! Thanks for the heads up Andy and Greycap.raf for all the help. Regards, Scott

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    I don't use any of the in-game AA settings . . .
    How exactly does one disable in-game AA settings?

Blog Entries
    I just left my AA setting alone, (had set to 4x),and installed the profile inspector mentioned above and set to 4x AA there and all seems fine with no big hit on FPS. I'm a dummy and it worked for me ! LoL ! Seriously, it sets it across the board for all installs. Used Diablo III as the profile to use as i was told and it really made a difference. Regards,Scott

I just want to experiment and I'd like to know what exactly constitutes "in game anti-aliasing" and how I can turn it off. I don't care to use anything beyond what my graphic card can supply, but I'd like to try letting it handle everything so I'd like to know what value in what file I need to tweak to turn off "in game anti-aliasing".

When you run cfs3config.exe you can adjust the display settings as a menu option and that includes the in game AA.

That sets the value <MultisampleType val="D3DMULTISAMPLE_NONE"/> near the top of ConfigOverrides.xml
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Thanks! I'll check into it in all my installs.

Blog Entries
    Did that plus the profile inspector ,if you use Nvidia. 4x AA works best for me and can be set manually there using notepad in the app data folder config overrides file
    . Each install must be changed accordingly . Regards ,Scott. You can also try 2x AA as it works better for others. Regards,Scott

Blog Entries
    Sorry threedp ,Didn't understand you question. Didn't have to change in game settings once they were set. Instead i use Nvidea profile inspector the set to AA 4x override game settings and set game profile to Diablo III . Best i can explain it and it worked for a dummy like me. Regards,Scott.

Members who have read this thread: 0