Martin Klein Re8 for FS9

Thread: Martin Klein Re8 for FS9

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Martin Klein Re8 for FS9

I just wanted to post a quick note to whoever may be interested in this aircraft that it works perfectly right out of the box in FSX as well. There is only one little fly in the ointment, except that I may be able to understand this better if someone familiar with the subject of these early aircraft can provide some knowledge. My FSX begins the flight w/the Re8 with the engine running and ready to fly on the ground. Once up in the air, any attempt to use certain keystrokes normally used in FSX to call up the GPS, for example, result in the aircraft's engine shutting down. Now, the starting magneto is operational in the aircraft, as is the fuel tank selector, battery switch, light switches in the cockpit, throttle movement, etc. What is the combination needed to start the engine once it stops? I can switch the fuel tanks, turn the battery on, advance the throttle and hit the starting magneto but the engine will not "fire." Does anyone know what the proper procedure for cranking this thing is?
    Last edited by SSI01; July 12th, 2021 at 19:40.

Hello SSI01

Badly I don't know anything about FSX, in CFS2, automixture must be allowed in the air file to start with combination mag + starter, in FS2004, automixture must be allowed in the aircraft.cfg, I don't know if it can help for FSX :/
    Good luck

Martin

SSI01, did you switch on the mag on the left of the mini-panel (this mag was outside and was not visible on the panel)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magneto_Re8.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	83581

Best regards
    Martin

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Hello Martin! Yes, I did have that magneto on (toggle up) followed by using the black starting magneto switch which is on the right side of the main instrument panel. Should I be using just the magneto that appears with the mini-panel? I fly in FSX with "auto-mixture" turned to the "off" position. Maybe what I'll do is give the Re-8 another try but first set preferences to "auto-mixture," just for that flight.

You need to know this is an EXCELLENT aircraft in every respect. I hope more textures are forthcoming.

EDIT: I figured it out! In FSX, to stop the engine move the fuel tank selector lever to "off." Then click the left-hand magneto to the down position. To start the engine, select which tank you desire to burn fuel from (or use the default "all tanks" setting), click the toggle switch on the left-hand magneto to the up position, then position your cursor over the right-hand starting magneto and press the "m" and "+" keyboard keys simultaneously and continue to hold them for four or five seconds until the engine "catches," at which point you may release the keys and the engine will continue running. At least that's what works on my setup.

Thoroughly enjoyable.
    Last edited by SSI01; July 12th, 2021 at 21:11.

Hello SSI01
    Thanks for your good words about the Re8

So you succeeded to start the engine.
    I had a look at the aircraft.cfg, you can perhaps try to open it and on line 97, in [piston_engine], note "fuel_air_auto_mixture=1".

You must click several times on the starter, until you see the smoke.

About several other skins, it's on the conveyer belt, and will be uploaded with the CFS2 version soon.

Best regards
    Martin

Members who have read this thread: 0