Would you like to add a VC gunsight to any aircraft?

Thread: Would you like to add a VC gunsight to any aircraft?

Would you like to add a VC gunsight to any aircraft?

Thanks Uncle Tgt for helping me to create this process. You can add a VC gunsight to any aircraft by using these three simple steps.

Step 1: paint you favorite gunsight in a 256 X 256 bitmap file and save it in the Extended 16bit 555 format or Extended 32 bit 888-8 format by using DXTBMP. Put this file in the CFS2\Texture folder. See the attached image. In this example, save your bitmap as fx_gunsight_KI44.bmp

Step 2: copy the following lines of code into a file using notepad. You can use any names. I named mine as FX_GUNSIGHT_KI44.fx. Put this file into the CFS2\Effects folder.

Step 3: add the following lines into the DP file using notepad. I put these lines just above the [GUNSTATIONS] section. This FX uses a bitmap file called fx_gunsight_KI44.bmp (which you had just painted).

[EXTRA.0]
    location=0.00, 1.1, 25
    effect=fx_gunsight_Ki44

[GUNSTATIONS]

Thats it! You can mount the gunsight by adjusting these numbers (location=0.00, 1.1, 25)

The first number adjust it inboard/outboard, 2nd number adjust it up/down, and the third number adjust it forward/backward. You can edit the eye point in the aircraft.cfg to align the bullets with this gunsight

[Views]
    eyepoint=-4.8,0.0,2.7 (adjust the third number 2.7, + move the bullets up, - move the bullets down)

There is a strange effect in CFS2. If you put this fx effect inside the VC, you can only see it in the Free Flight mode. This is the reason that I put it at 25 ft in front of the aircraft. It seems to work for all the aircraft.

Attached are two screen shots of the VC (Wolfi's KI-44 and the AH Hurricane). Both of thes eaircraft do not have any gunsight in the VC. If you want to fly in VC mode. You need to add a gunsight.

Save the following line in a file called FX_GUNSIGHT_KI44.fx

[Library Effect]
    Lifetime=5
    Version=1.00

[Properties]
    Cockpit=0
    VirtualCockpit=1
    Spot=0
    Tower=0
    Map=0

[Emitter.0]
    Lifetime=0.0, 0.0
    Delay=0.00, 0.00
    Bounce=0.00
    No Interpolate=1
    Rate=400.0,400.0
    X Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00
    Y Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00
    Z Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00
    Drag=0.00, 0.00
    X Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00
    Y Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00
    Z Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00
    X Offset=0.00, 0.00
    Y Offset=0.00, 0.00
    Z Offset=0.00, 0.00

[Particle.0]
    Lifetime=0.00, 0.0
    Type=19
    X Scale=0.0, 0.0
    Y Scale=0.0, 0.0
    Z Scale=0.00, 0.00
    X Scale Rate=0.0, 0.0
    Y Scale Rate=0.0, 0.0
    Z Scale Rate=0.0, 0.0
    Drag=0.00, 0.00
    Color Rate=0.17, 0.18
    Fade In=0.00, 0.00
    Fade Out=0.00, 0.00
    Rotation=0.00, 0.00
    Face=1, 1, 1

[ParticleAttributes.0]
    Blend Mode=2
    Texture=fx_gunsight_KI44.bmp
    Bounce=0.00
    Color Start=255,255,0, 255
    Color End=255,255,0, 255
    Jitter Distance=0.00
    Jitter Time=0.00
    TempK=107.00
    TempRate=0.00
    uv1=0.00, 0.00
    uv2=1.00, 1.00
    X Scale Goal=3.00
    Y Scale Goal=3.00
    Z Scale Goal=0.00
    Extrude Length=0.00
    Extrude Pitch Max=0.00
    Extrude Heading Max=0.00

[Emitter.1]
    Lifetime=0.00, 0.00
    Delay=0.00, 0.00
    Bounce=0.00
    No Interpolate=1
    Rate=400.0,400.0
    X Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00
    Y Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00
    Z Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00
    Drag=0.00, 0.00
    X Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00
    Y Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00
    Z Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00
    X Offset=0.00, 0.00
    Y Offset=0.00, 0.00
    Z Offset=0.00, 0.00

[Particle.1]
    Lifetime=0.007, 0.007
    Type=19
    X Scale=1.2,1.2
    Y Scale=1.2,1.2
    Z Scale=0.00, 0.00
    X Scale Rate=0.0, 0.0
    Y Scale Rate=0.0, 0.0
    Z Scale Rate=0.0, 0.0
    Drag=0.00, 0.00
    Color Rate=0.17, 0.18
    Fade In=0.00, 0.00
    Fade Out=0.00, 0.00
    Rotation=0.00, 0.00
    Face=1, 1, 1

[ParticleAttributes.1]
    Blend Mode=2
    Texture=fx_gunsight_KI44.bmp
    Bounce=0.00
    Color Start=255,255,0, 255
    Color End=255,255,0, 255
    Jitter Distance=0.00
    Jitter Time=0.00
    TempK=107.00
    TempRate=0.00
    uv1=0.00, 0.00
    uv2=1.00, 1.00
    X Scale Goal=3.00
    Y Scale Goal=3.00
    Z Scale Goal=0.00
    Extrude Length=0.00
    Extrude Pitch Max=0.00
    Extrude Heading Max=0.00

Library Staff
    Hi Andrew,

Thanks very much for this useful information - this thread is definitely a keeper.
    Thanks also for your great work on the Me262.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This is some 2000 IQ thinking right here.

EDIT:
    Wonder if there is something from the fx_vclight.fx that could make it work when placed inside the cockpit for all modes.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Lightbulb

It's easier than adding one via scasm.... very clever Andrew!

Cheers mav

Sounds like a very good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by AcWai View Post
    I put it at 25 ft in front of the aircraft.
    Can you show us an external view screenshot of the modified aircraft, please? I fear this means there will be a gunsight looming in front of the plane, for player aircraft as well as AI aircraft (though I am pretty sure AI aircraft don't show DP effects in QC mode, they do in missions).

Ha, that's bloody clever Andrew!

What an easy way to do it, great stuff.

As Roxane asks does it show up externally?; and if it does can you then move it to just in front of the canopy windscreen (but outside the VC), and close enough that it can't be seen in the outside view?

And being an effect it should work in FS9 as well.

Cheers

Shessi

This is VERY interesting information, but for a simple flightsimmer like me a bit too technical, as I have no experience in painting bitmaps or making effects. If it would be possible to make a set more detailed instructions for less experienced flightsimmers like me, that would be much appreciated.

And I will express my admiration for all of you who still discover things for CFS2 that make this flightsim so much fun in all those years!

hertzie

The initial idea came from Uncle Tgt, I stucked with this idea until I got it working.

After further testing. I have decided to mount this effect at the following location:

[EXTRA.0]
    location=0.00, .87, 3.6
    effect=fx_gunsight_Ki44

This is the closest distance for the gunsight to show up.

Which requires a small change in the FX effect file.

X Scale=0.25,0.25
    Y Scale=0.25,0.25

You can not see it in the AI aircraft. Roxane-21 had mentioned that AI aircraft do not show FX effects.

Attached is an image of the external view. Your VC view is just like a normal view with the exception of seeing a very small gunsight on your wingman. You will not notice it.

I posted the instructions so you guys can make improvements to it. I am hoping someone can figure out how to put this effect inside the cockpit.

hertzie This is VERY interesting information, but for a simple flightsimmer like me a bit too technical, as I have no experience in painting bitmaps or making effects. If it would be possible to make a set more detailed instructions for less experienced flightsimmers like me, that would be much appreciated.

I will let onther people have a test in this method and release a final detailed instruction.

SHESSI - And being an effect it should work in FS9 as well.

I think this will work better in FS9. CFS2 seems to ignore these instructions:

[Properties]
    Cockpit=0
    VirtualCockpit=1
    Spot=0
    Tower=0
    Map=0

Quote Originally Posted by AcWai View Post
    You can not see it in the AI aircraft. Roxane-21 had mentioned that AI aircraft do not show FX effects.
    AI aircraft do not show FX effects in Quick Combat mode, but I am pretty sure they show them in missions/campaigns.

Thanks Andrew,

I'll take a look....

Cheers

Shessi

I have raised the gunsight higher in the VC. I think it looks quite good now.

Are there any interests in seeing an addon package just to update your AH Hurricane? I won't include any mdl file and aircraft texture files.

It will have the necessary files (fx effects, correction in the dp file, and aircraft cfg file) to update your existing aircraft.

Do you want a complete aircraft with the new VC gunsight?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxane-21 View Post
    Sounds like a very good idea.

Can you show us an external view screenshot of the modified aircraft, please? I fear this means there will be a gunsight looming in front of the plane, for player aircraft as well as AI aircraft (though I am pretty sure AI aircraft don't show DP effects in QC mode, they do in missions).
    Roxane-21

It's possible to make it small enough to place it inside the windscreen (see screengrabs), but I think there is a more fundamental issue regarding it's usefulness.

My attempts so far indicate to me, at least, that the sim operates a "priority order" when displaying effects, & any own player, own cockpit effects sit at the bottom of this list. This means that, in a "live" combat environment, you quickly lose your VC gunsight, & you can't get it back.

If I start QC with "no opponents", & fire my own guns, the VC gunsight disappears whilst the guns are firing.
    If I start a mission that has several effect files in view (see my longer last oilfires), the gunsight never shows up

I even tried putting the gunsight in the [LIGHTS] section of the aircraft.cfg, & triggered it using one of the DAP gauges (altitude >1ft, speed >1 knot), & I get the same impact in combat.

If you fly a night mission, the vclight stays on during combat, but it's a simple light effect. The fx file does not use blend mode=2, instead it uses blend mode=0, & the Emitter section includes the line Light=1.

Unfortunately adding these details to the gunsight fx either cause it to not show at all, or show up as a solid square texture, so not useful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VC_gunsight_v1_vc_view.jpg   VC_gunsight_v1_extl_view.jpg   VC_gunsight_v2_vc_view.jpg   VC_gunsight_v2_extl_view_a.jpg   VC_gunsight_v2_extl_view_b.jpg  

If I start QC with "no opponents", & fire my own guns, the VC gunsight disappears whilst the guns are firing.

I have been playing with some modifications of this effect. The VC gunsight does not disappear (with or without opponents) in the QC mode.

If I start a mission that has several effect files in view (see my longer last oilfires), the gunsight never shows up

I don't play with missions. I hope someone can test this new effect in the mission mode.

If you fly a night mission, the vclight stays on during combat, but it's a simple light effect. The fx file does not use blend mode=2, instead it uses blend mode=0, & the Emitter section includes the line Light=1.

Please see the attached photo in the QC night mode.

Please send me a private email and I will send you a complete Ki-44 with the revised gunsight. I hope you can play in the quick combat mode and mission mode and report your findings.

I use it all the time now. You will lose your gunsight after you have crashed and respawned. When that happens, I switch to the 2D cockpit view.

Andrew.... this is probably an overkill.... but have you considered green ghost gauge to turn sight on and off maybe?

Cheers mav

Members who have read this thread: 0