MSFS Update 5 Nearly Doubles FPS - July 27th Release
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: MSFS Update 5 Nearly Doubles FPS - July 27th Release

  1. #1

    MSFS Update 5 Nearly Doubles FPS - July 27th Release

    This article and video popped-up in my news feed last night. Through a major rewrite/revision of the MSFS core architecture, Asobo has been able to massively reduce the sim's impact on CPU and RAM usage. This will be coming with the next free update, "Sim Update 5", releasing on July 27th.

    https://www.tweaktown.com/news/80324...Hy4ecyD3IeQTP4


  2. #2
    I saw this as well. Fingers crossed! Hopefully it helps even my old gtx1050.

  3. #3
    Hopefully, without impacting LOD, water rendering, etc. Call me pessimistic, but I fear this is just going to turn into a taylored X-box offering over time.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Hopefully, without impacting LOD, water rendering, etc. Call me pessimistic, but I fear this is just going to turn into a taylored X-box offering over time.
    I'm sorry, but have you ever seen/experienced the graphics performance of XBox? It is bloody impressive! Even PS, which doesn't even come close to XBox has better performance graphics wise than the average gaming PC (not counting the monsters that Wombat666 builds).

    The way I read it, the changes are pure code. And that clip was filmed on an average gaming pc. It had an RTX2060 for god's sake!

    I for one am looking forward to that update. The only reason why I don't want it to be the 27th, is because it will mean the end of my yearly holidays.

    Cheers,

    Priller
    Last edited by Priller; July 1st, 2021 at 11:30. Reason: forgot an n
    Intel i7 9700K
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Motherboard
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 970 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Western Digital 2TB WD Black Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

  5. #5
    The beta for SU5 is getting ready to roll out. It would be interesting to hear early reports, but testers will be under an NDA. On my rig, I usually get ~25FPM, with occasional dips to around 15 and the odd 2-3FPS stutter now and then. If this update keeps me above 20 on a reliable basis, I'll be happy.

  6. #6
    Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    JBSA/Corpus TX
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,489
    Ive just installed MSFS2020 finally to see for myself. Now we know I support most sims. However in MSFS I will not support any type of simulated Live fire Weapons, I have Zero Tolerance for it in a Civilian Sim. To make clear Im not against Weapons being displayed as part of the model. They must not simulated fire. IMO P3D is the Sim for that. Now im clearing up my beliefs as Im rather enjoying MSFS atm. However I have a ?. We all know XP11 has Control Profile Selection and it has a option to set to default and FSX, user Choice. Does this exist or make it in a update? Having this ability might attract more user's to MSFS2020. This has been demonstrated already by XP11 who attracted user's from FSX/P3D. So far my main issue is my Logitec 3d Extreme and Camera's POV from my hat switch. I like my constant FSX/P3D 360 movement inside and outside the AC. Also my Canadian Attic in Nunavut is missing Airports like CYTE and CYGT, CYVP by Default. What gives?? The USA and Caribbean and Mexico look great. Well off to Greenland and Iceland, then Norway.

    AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    So far my main issue is my Logitec 3d Extreme and Camera's POV from my hat switch. I like my constant FSX/P3D 360 movement inside and outside the AC.
    Make sure your hat switch is tied to these functions 'look' functions shown below, which will allow you to pan around just like in FSX and P3D. Note, you can tie the same hat switch to both the cockpit and external functions. Back when I first got involved with MSFS, it took me probably more than a week of messing with all of the key bindings, graphics settings, sim options, camera options, etc., to start thinking I had a grasp on it all (and still had more to learn).


  8. #8
    Here is the full Developer Q&A video, with which that clip above was pulled from, and which touches on other improvements/additions coming soon. It sounds like gliders will be coming before helicopters, since they already have a partner established for glider development, while they are still looking for the ideal partner with which to develop helicopters. Note too they discuss the fact that they have a replay system already implemented, which is something many people have been asking for, but they state that they will need to work it into a more user-friendly interface before it is made ready. Among other items discussed, they mention how the version of MSFS made for XBox is DX12-based, where as the PC version will continue to remain DX11 for a while yet until the DX12 version of the PC MSFS is finished/ready - with better water and reflections.



  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Here is the full Developer Q&A video, with which that clip above was pulled from, and which touches on other improvements/additions coming soon. It sounds like gliders will be coming before helicopters, since they already have a partner established for glider development, while they are still looking for the ideal partner with which to develop helicopters. Note too they discuss the fact that they have a replay system already implemented, which is something many people have been asking for, but they state that they will need to work it into a more user-friendly interface before it is made ready. Among other items discussed, they mention how the version of MSFS made for XBox is DX12-based, where as the PC version will continue to remain DX11 for a while yet until the DX12 version of the PC MSFS is finished/ready - with better water and reflections.


    DX12 for the PC version will probably come along with the Windows 11 release later in the year.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

  10. #10
    Dream came true? Hard to imagine this.... but fingers crossed! .... Nearly Doubles ...
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

    Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    I'm sorry, but have you ever seen/experienced the graphics performance of XBox? It is bloody impressive! Even PS, which doesn't even come close to XBox has better performance graphics wise than the average gaming PC (not counting the monsters that Wombat666 builds).

    The way I read it, the changes are pure code. And that clip was filmed on an average gaming pc. It had an RTX2060 for god's sake!

    I for one am looking forward to that update. The only reason why I don't want it to be the 27th, is because it will mean the end of my yearly holidays.

    Cheers,

    Priller
    Sorry, but I don't have an average gaming PC, so I am jaded. ;-)
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

  12. #12
    Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    JBSA/Corpus TX
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,489
    What's the default keyboard for taking a screen shot?

    AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

  13. #13
    SOH-CM-2021 jmig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Age
    73
    Posts
    5,521
    Blog Entries
    6
    I never look at my FPS. So long as the sim seems smooth, I am happy. I will take the gain, however.

    In reference to the gentleman's opinion on weapons in MSFS, I do not have any issues with live weapons. They are part of real world flying. If it does happen, and I doubt it will be MS, I hope it is a MS partner. I still have heartburn over VRS abandoning TacPac. If weapons will be a part of MSFS, then do it right.
    John

    ***************************
    My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II


    Intel 10-Core i9 10900 @ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR4 RAM
    2 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive 6TB Backup data hard drive
    GTX 2070 Super 8GB VRAM, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    What's the default keyboard for taking a screen shot?
    No any (like in FSX or P3D), just use PrintSreen key or external programm (like Free PicPick).
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

    Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    DX12 for the PC version will probably come along with the Windows 11 release later in the year.
    So in this sim update 5 (and this performance jump) no DX12 yet for PC? Sim update 5 for PC will be at 27.07.

    Edit. ok I found it, no DX12 ... so really strange, just optimalization (so how bad was MSFS before )!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

    Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I never look at my FPS. So long as the sim seems smooth, I am happy. I will take the gain, however.
    Same here.

    I might just try to bring my graphics up to see if that impacts a smooth experience after that update.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

  17. #17
    SOH-CM-2021 jmig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Age
    73
    Posts
    5,521
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    Same here.

    I might just try to bring my graphics up to see if that impacts a smooth experience after that update.
    Same here. MS gives and Nividia takes away.
    John

    ***************************
    My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II


    Intel 10-Core i9 10900 @ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR4 RAM
    2 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive 6TB Backup data hard drive
    GTX 2070 Super 8GB VRAM, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

  18. #18
    In the last few days I saw many post about this Sim Update 5, here is one of them ....

    However, the SIM UPDATE V is a real disaster when it comes to problems with the visibility of objects in the distance,

    Jetways that are not visible,
    objects that are usually small, such as vehicles or people a few meters away from them you can no longer see them, even the simulator terrain itself where there is terrain is a complete disaster.

    There are only a few days left for the release of SIM UPDATE V and so far this has not been solved, this will bring many problems.
    So looks like yes, we will have performance boost but also a BIG LOD downgrade in the same time. Many testers write that not everyone will like this update .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

    Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

  19. #19
    Keep in mind that the sim is currently in testing and what testers are seeing may not be reflected in the final release.

    There's a reason testers are asked to agree to a non-disclosure agreement -- commenting on a work in progress can lead to incorrect assumptions.

    So don't panic until you see it on your system next week. Issues people are reporting may not be present in the final. If they're actually testing, they shouldn't be posting at all, so definitely take comments with a grain of salt.

  20. #20
    The official forum manager is also aware of the thread in question. If this is indeed a breach of the NDA, he'll deal with it.

  21. #21
    July 22nd, Dev Update.
    https://www.flightsimulator.com/july...opment-update/

    This shot looks promissing....



    but no season yet, not yet (according to plan 2022).
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

    Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

  22. #22
    Btw.

    From Dino's FB:

    Yesterday we have received a notification from Microsoft that the upcoming Sim Update V will not be completely compatible with XML legacy code at launch: although many commands are supported, some are not and this created quite a big problem for us.
    While the change is, in some sense, for the better for the platform (Sim Update V performance is way better than the previous versions), a number of third party aircraft may not work as intended or crash the sim.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

    Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Keep in mind that the sim is currently in testing and what testers are seeing may not be reflected in the final release.There's a reason testers are asked to agree to a non-disclosure agreement -- commenting on a work in progress can lead to incorrect assumptions.So don't panic until you see it on your system next week. Issues people are reporting may not be present in the final. If they're actually testing, they shouldn't be posting at all, so definitely take comments with a grain of salt.
    I've seen the gradual reduction in LOD throughout all updates to accomodate FPS. At the same time, water masks have improved and so has mountain range mesh. So it's a mixed bag. Some of the freeware mesh is pretty good. Guess we shall know what ASOBO is up to pretty soon.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

  24. #24
    Yesterday we have received a notification from Microsoft that the upcoming Sim Update V will not be completely compatible with XML legacy code at launch: although many commands are supported, some are not and this created quite a big problem for us.
    While the change is, in some sense, for the better for the platform (Sim Update V performance is way better than the previous versions), a number of third party aircraft may not work as intended or crash the sim.


    I don't think I like the sound of that from the standpoint of my legacy port-overs.

    The last update broke a lot of them, but we figured out a fix. This sounds worse.

    August

  25. #25
    Two more days. getting very curious here!

    Priller
    Intel i7 9700K
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Motherboard
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 970 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Western Digital 2TB WD Black Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Members who have read this thread: 227

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •