Add-on purchases - Marketplace vs. 3rd party site?

Thread: Add-on purchases - Marketplace vs. 3rd party site?

Add-on purchases - Marketplace vs. 3rd party site?

I'm just curious if it makes much of a difference where you purchase add-ons - the MSFS Marketplace (within the program) vs. 3rd party websites? In specific, the FlyingIronSimulations Spitfire. I planned on buying it awhile back, but life got in the way.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    I'm just curious if it makes much of a difference where you purchase add-ons - the MSFS Marketplace (within the program) vs. 3rd party websites? In specific, the FlyingIronSimulations Spitfire. I planned on buying it awhile back, but life got in the way.
    I usually like to buy direct from the devs when possible to make sure they get the max profit from their hard work, why give a middle man a cut if you don't have too IMO.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    I usually like to buy direct from the devs when possible to make sure they get the max profit from their hard work, why give a middle man a cut if you don't have too IMO.

Not only that, but the marketplace takes a long time to post updates when compared to updates that you can get when you buy directly from the Dev.

Also, as an end user, buying outside of the sim allows you to change things in the various files. Marketplace purchases not so easy. So adding or changing things becomes a lot more complicated if you buy from the Marketplace..

Absolutely agree- I want timely updates, modable files and my cash to go directly to the developer. No MSFSMP for me.

All very good points - thanks!
    Cheers,
    Dave

Also, I believe the Marketplace sawed the cannons off the Spitfire. Is that correct?

Hello Dave,

A similar discussion is going on on the FS2020 forum for JustFlight

I posted there the other day:

I never had any issues with purchases from JustFlight.
    Also, I keep a copy of my invoice in the same folder where I store the installer. I have folders on an external hard drive for each flight simulator platform, and in those subfolders for Aircraft, scenery, Airports and Tools.
    In the Airplanes folder I have subfolders for each airplane I own. There I have the installer file as well as a copy of the invoice stored.
    This way I always know where I purchased a product.

An advantage of purchasing directly from the developer is that you have immediate access to updates/patches. Marketplace takes forever to offer those.
    And then people are whining why a released update/patch is not available for them yet.

So, I will always go for a purchase directly from the developer 1st, as it also gives them the full reward in payment for their efforts.
    But that’s just my personal POV, of course.

I hope all above answers helps you make your own decision.

Happy flying

Btw: I am located in COS, so not far from your location, based on your user name.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    I second that statement.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I second that statement.
    and I third the same statement
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Also, I believe the Marketplace sawed the cannons off the Spitfire. Is that correct?
    yes the cannons are removed for Marketplace version per MS policy which seems completely daft when you sit with a gunsight in front of you, not to mention a myriad of military details on various aircraft that remain.

Thanks everyone - I had no idea about the removal of the cannons. Direct purchase for me.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jetstreamsky View Post
    yes the cannons are removed for Marketplace version per MS policy which seems completely daft when you sit with a gunsight in front of you, not to mention a myriad of military details on various aircraft that remain.
    even more daft when that is coming from a country with virtually no gun laws in real life...
    I've always liked this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB7MwvqCtlk
    so buy a real gun as a kid, fine, but digital representation of non-firing gun, oh no, can't have that.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

What an absolute beauty of a design - thanks again for the input! She's a bit of a handful on the takeoff roll, but once airborne is a delight.
    One other question, does anyone know what parameter I can adjust to lower the eyepoint and zoom in a bit in the default cockpit view? I believe it would be in the "cameras.cfg" file. It seems a bit high for me, almost like the top of my head's sticking up into the canopy, and it's zoomed out a bit too much - kind of like a wide angle lens.
    Last edited by DaveKDEN; July 1st, 2021 at 13:45.
    Cheers,
    Dave

SOH-CM-2023
    Third party may be fine but.......

I became interested in getting the season color trees addon and found it available at Simmarket and the marketplace. The simmarket version is preferred.

I wished to order from Simmarket and entered the manditory registration info.

I then attempted to sign in using my login email address and password. ERROR response.

Looking thru my email there was no confirmation of my registration.

I attempted to register again and was rejected b/c my email address was a duplicate.

I was able to request a new password, but received no email providing one.

Customer support requires logging in which I can't do b/c Simmarket rejects my login info.

I emailed sales@simmarket.com requesting help almost a day ago. No responce yet.

So I'm in a catch-22 at the moment. There are times when 3rd party has its issues.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjones View Post
    Third party may be fine but.......

I became interested in getting the season color trees addon and found it available at Simmarket and the marketplace. The simmarket version is preferred.

I wished to order from Simmarket and entered the manditory registration info.

I then attempted to sign in using my login email address and password. ERROR response.

Looking thru my email there was no confirmation of my registration.

I attempted to register again and was rejected b/c my email address was a duplicate.

I was able to request a new password, but received no email providing one.

Customer support requires logging in which I can't do b/c Simmarket rejects my login info.

I emailed sales@simmarket.com requesting help almost a day ago. No responce yet.

So I'm in a catch-22 at the moment. There are times when 3rd party has its issues.
    I would think that you gave SimMarket their chance. If it were me, I would just buy it at the Marketplace. I have that add-on BTW. I have only set it for Summer so far.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I would think that you gave SimMarket their chance. If it were me, I would just buy it at the Marketplace. I have that add-on BTW. I have only set it for Summer so far.
    It appears the Marketplace scenery is only one season now. Perhaps the four season pack will eventually come to the Marketplace at which time I will purchase, unless Simmarket responds with a solution first. I had a similar problem with another 3rd party where AT&T was blocking their email to me. AT&T helped then with a solution known only to them. Now AT&T does not connect me to a person, but shuffles me off to links that I don't understand or are of no use.

By the way, John, thanks for your comments.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjones View Post
    ...By the way, John, thanks for your comments.
    I would say that us "seniors" need to stick together, but I an still a kid to you. Good luck.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Members who have read this thread: 0