DCS WW2 in VR, question for BoX/DCS/VR users.

Thread: DCS WW2 in VR, question for BoX/DCS/VR users.

Icon5 DCS WW2 in VR, question for BoX/DCS/VR users.

I want to give DCS a go, but only, if compared to the BoX series, I can clearly see the graphic improvements while using VR. Not at the outside of the plane as I always fly in VR but more thinking of a better cockpit and more 3D detail of the (damaged) wings view, clouds, skydome, reducement of all the shimmer & jaggies you see in BoX.
    Did a search on youtube and did found a lot, only all very ancient, before the 2.7 update and not related to DCS-VR.
    So my question is, if I wanting to go a step higher then BoX-VR in eye-candy, is DCS-VR the right WW2 combat flysim?

Further, I wanting to know can DCS run on a AMD 6800XT, at full potential or is like in BOX a no go, because BOX is right now not being optimized for the new AMD RDNA2 6000 cards.

Can I compare the Free2play on steam to what I actually see in payware, because I found the Free2play (tryout a year ago) a bit disappointing, more of a vintage 2010 look.

Firstly, I don't know what BoX is? VR fitness game Box-VR?

I have recently changed VR headset from an Oculus CV1 to an Oculus Quest 2 with USB-C link cable, and the difference is pretty impressive, I can now read all the dials.

DCS is pretty good really, especially since the 2.7 update to clouds.

Depending on what VR headset you use, and your machine specs - only that combination can determine if DCS will run well. But in my experience, DCS is becoming the Go-to combat sim.

Give The P-47 a try in VR...it's Gorgeous,,,Spitfire too.

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom88 View Post
    Give The P-47 a try in VR...it's Gorgeous,,,Spitfire too.
    Don't make the mistake I did with the Spitfire, not trimming for takeoff. Someone said turn the rudder trim knob until the 'O' of 'Port' is facing directly upwards and don't use flaps for takeoff

Spitfire in VR is breath taking (I'm sure the P-47 is too), but I'm yet to try that one! Considering DCS is in some kind of partnership with 'The Fighter Colelction' who fly classic warbirds, it's not surprising quite how great the warbirds are!

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    Firstly, I don't know what BoX is? VR fitness game Box-VR?
    BoX I believe is for IL-2 Series as Battle of Normandy, Battle of Bodenplatte, etc...

You can try their free-to-play from their site and also try any plane for 14-days for the next six months. So for 14-days, try the Spitfire, after that, try the P-47, etc... This way you'll know what works for you and what doesn't.

"Can I compare the Free2play on steam to what I actually see in payware, because I found the Free2play (tryout a year ago) a bit disappointing, more of a vintage 2010 look."

The DCS sim itself is free with a couple of planes, the payware is actually for any of their modules you would want like the Spitfire or the maps. There are 2 versions to try and play with, the beta and the stable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    I have the P-47 and fly it in the Normandy and Channel maps. I have no problems with my system. The cockpit details are clear and very real like. I also have the P-51 and it is similar. Rather than buying the P-47 not knowing if it will work with your system, try the free trainer (PT-51) version. It is the same aircraft as the P-51 minus the weapons. If it works for you, then the P-47, P-51, and Spitfire should all work. I am going to assume the German aircraft will too.

P.S. The new damage system is amazing. It is scary to look at your wing and see the ground through the holes, just before the engine locks up and oil covers your windscreen. ..... Yes, I know this from experience.
    Last edited by jmig; June 28th, 2021 at 08:14. Reason: Add postscript
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Members who have read this thread: 0