The MSFS PMDG DC-6 Livery Thread - Page 4
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The MSFS PMDG DC-6 Livery Thread

my next project:
    jk6479 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6456 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

aaMasih did a great job with the Braathens Safe livery. However I've studied some old images and I made a few changes to the livery installed in my sim.

Gunnar van der Meeren

MSFS 2020 Standard/AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7-4.8 GHz/Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz 64GB/Asus GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC gaming GDDR6X 24GB

Looks lovely, Gunnar! Will you release as well, perhaps with the "Social Distancing" nose art etc.?

C

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    Looks lovely, Gunnar! Will you release as well, perhaps with the "Social Distancing" nose art etc.?

C
    Tanks caviarcooper.

This paint is not mine. So even if I did some mods to it, I can not share the files. I have plans for another Braathens DC-6B (LN-SUB), but I have to brake a code on how to paint and export files for MSFS 2020 first

Gunnar van der Meeren

MSFS 2020 Standard/AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7-4.8 GHz/Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz 64GB/Asus GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC gaming GDDR6X 24GB

Gunnar- that's great as SUB was the airframe in question! Can't wait to see what you come up with- your work has always been impressive. Looking forward to it!

Carl

Bedankt Jan Kees! Heb een goeie vakantie! We waarderen alles wat je doet voor onze gemeenschap!

C

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post

Bedankt Jan Kees! Heb een goeie vakantie! We waarderen alles wat je doet voor onze gemeenschap!
    C
    Hé Carl,

Sinds wanneer ken jij Nederlands ??..... ;-)

Btw, 100% agreed with what you say. ;-)

Jan- Geen Nederlands, maar ik WEET hoe ik Google Translate moet gebruiken

Ah, cyber kid, éh ? Pretty good nontheless, Carl !

Btw, those TAL cards bring back nice memories. In the last century already i got acquainted with a German FS fanatic like me. Rainer Labie and he was (maybe still is, sadly lost contact years ago) a pastor with a big love for the Caribbean and flying. So when FS came about he put two and two together and founded of what i think could be one of the first FS Virtual Airlines : "Tradewind Caribbean Airlines" (TCA).

I was pretty busy repainting by that time and also did some upgrade work on the first ever FS DC-3. Rainer asked me to design a livery for TCA and deliver the DC-3 in that livery. From then on i got quite a lot involved with TCA and particularly with the Caribbean of which Rainer told me everything i wanted to know. It was like he was born there. This went on for a couple of years and was one of the most enjoyable times i experienced with FS. Already in the 80's and 90's the beauty of FS knows no bounderies. ;-)

Cheers,
    Jan

As Gollum would say : " My Love, My Precious !! "

Fantastic job, Marcel ! Thank you very much !

( btw, you sure about the light blue name, not white, right ?.... )

That looks asbolutely fantastic, Marcel, and I can tell that must have been quite a challenging one to do as well.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

THE FLYING DUTCHMAN himself- WOW Marcel- loverly!

C

Make sure to check the aircraft.cfg for repaints, PMDG posted a "NOTAM" about an issue that seems to affect some repaints: https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...party-liveries I also made the same mistake as I edited an existing aircraft.cfg and took over the issue, Update is submitted to flightsim.to already.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    ( btw, you sure about the light blue name, not white, right ?.... )
    90% sure, it's often done wrong the "warbird" painting of the DC-3's and DC-6's.
    However, think it should be a bit lighter then in present shots, it's now too dark.

Have no colour pictures of the DC-6 yet there are some of the L-749:

On the BW's of the PH-TGA, you can see the text is not white yet different colour
    and seems to match with the "sky" colour of the "Flying Dutchman" logo.

@All thanks for the nice comments, hope to release here later this week.
    First will be a "normal one" followed by the race edition "21".

Marcel

PS
    Still amazed how many different liveries the KLM had in the late 40's untill the begin of the 60's.
    For the DC-6 example:
    DC-6B (full metal, with KLM HOLLAND under the belly) FR logo at the front
    DC-6B (full metal, with princes names and dutch-crown at the front)
    DC-6A/B White top above the windows (PH-Txx reg)
    DC-6A/B White top above the windows (PH-Dxx reg) All the DC-6s got reregisterd with the "D" prefix (of Douglas)
    DC-6A/B White top below the windows
    DC-6A/B White cheatline running through to the nose
    Last edited by mgr; July 5th, 2021 at 21:37.

Hello everybody!

Hey guys, this is absolutely amazing, absolutely wonderful paints were created here. Great job, thank you very much for your paints. I've downloaded some of your paints and I'm flying them now. I am very enthusiastic.

Have a great Evening...

Chrsi...

That looks fantastic, Marcel! Great job on the crown on the nose too!

Meanwhile, mine are nearly done, but I keep finding little errors..
    jk6503 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6526 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Hi Jan Kees,

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    That looks fantastic, Marcel! Great job on the crown on the nose too!
    The credits for the nose goes to PMDG, they have added a separate decal texture for the nose in one the latest patches.
    It's called "PMDG_DC6_NDECAL_ALBD.PNG.DDS" which contains the whole nosecone, yet projected from the front, so you can add very easy logo's or numbers on the nose.

Raised a ticket with them to request it, the response was: we have already done it.

Marcel

Braathens Safe LN-SUB (1964)

Gunnar van der Meeren

Wow, I only just read the story about the last flight of that bird. Almost 16 hours in the air, more than 60 years after it was built and with over 50k operation hours on her belt (according to youtube). That is a true testimony of endurance. Also great work on all these liveries! I need to take some time and fly this bird now again, maybe I'll look for another paintjob to do, though. Still got two ideas.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Looks great Gunnar! Any thoughts about adding the 2021 livery version for SUB as well?Ta- C

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    90% sure, it's often done wrong the "warbird" painting of the DC-3's and DC-6's.
    However, think it should be a bit lighter then in present shots, it's now too dark.

Have no colour pictures of the DC-6 yet there are some of the L-749:

On the BW's of the PH-TGA, you can see the text is not white yet different colour
    and seems to match with the "sky" colour of the "Flying Dutchman" logo.
    Agreed 100%, Marcel, well done !

Here's a 'famous' color photo of a KLM DC-6, appears in several stories about KLM and the DC-6. You do need a magnifying glass to check out the color of "The Flying Dutchman" but it deffinately is bleu'ish not white.. ;-) It also sports the 'roof only white' so to see. Naming of the photo indicates PH-TBW but that's probabely wrong because PH-TBW was a DC-3 that crashed near Schiphol in 1946.

This particular photo appears in the story of PH-TPJ "Koningin Juliana", a DC-6A that crashed on short final to Frankfurt/Main. In March 1952. 47 souls on board only 2 survivors... The Captain, L.E.J. Poutsma, lived about 6 houses further up the street where i was born. I still remember my parents talking about it but i didn't have a clue other than that something terrible had happend to Meneer Poutsma...

Here's a great color photo of a DC-4 with which the color of our famous flying dutchman can be determined with "aan zekerheid grenzende waarschijnlijkheid"... It's a very pale Kind Of Blue (not like Miles Davis' iconic album which is true blue..) i'd say with a fair amount of grey mixed in.

Thanks again for a wonderful job on the MSFS KLM DC-6, Marcel !

Cheers,
    Jan

looking good, Thomas!

meanwhile, I've uploaded the two Transairs:
    jk6548 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6538 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Members who have read this thread: 82