The MSFS PMDG DC-6 Livery Thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The MSFS PMDG DC-6 Livery Thread

Honestly, I think I'd be hesitant to fly on a plane with that much creosote and soot caked onto the nacelles. If fleet management can't even manage to wash a bird now and then, what other issues are hidden? For instance, "Is that hydraulic stain new, or is it left over from the last time I checked that fitting three years ago?" In addition, that much crud on the skin causes excess drag, which ends up costing more in fuel - all the more incentive to get the plane into a wash pit now and then.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Seeing the photo of the crashed Everts DC-6 N451CE that Jan posted, and thinking about all of the DC-6's which have been retired since the 90's, it got me looking into just how many DC-6's are still flying today.

Currently, these are the only DC-6's flying in the world (7):

- Red Bull/Flying Bulls OE-LDM, Based in Austria
    - Florida Air Transport N70BF, Based in Hawaii
    - Everts Air Cargo/Fuel N100CE, Based in Alaska
    - Everts Air Cargo/Fuel N251CE, Based in Alaska
    - Everts Air Cargo/Fuel N747CE, Based in Alaska
    - Everts Air Cargo/Fuel N7780B, Based in Alaska
    - Everts Air Cargo/Fuel N9056R, Based in Alaska

Additionally, it was in the aviation news last September that James Mac Ivor, of San Antonio, TX, has been working on getting his DC-6 V5-NCG flying again, which has been in storage in Namibia since last flying in 2010, and it will be flown to Texas when ready. I unfortunately haven't heard/seen any updates since then, and it sounds like once it is in the US, it will likely be parked again and put up for sale.

Another DC-6, N151, was acquired from Everts by the Flyhistorik Museum in Norway and ferried to Norway last year, but will now remain a static museum display. There are tons of DC-6 airframes in storage, so certainly no shortage of spares or airframes that could be returned to the air if someone wanted to/has the resources. Everts' parent company has more than double its flying fleet of DC-6's in stored DC-6 airframes.

Additionally, there are only three Douglas DC-4's/C-54's flying in the world, all of which are based in the US - N3054V, N460WA, and N9015Q. Those that had been flying in South Africa have all been parked for at least a few years or more, and those owned by Buffalo in Canada are also in storage. With the retirement of N838D last October, the last DC-7 tanker operated by Erickson, there are no longer any DC-7's flying in the world at all (the Historical Flight Foundation's Eastern Airlines DC-7 N836D has been out of commission for several years now, with no recent news).

There is only one additional 4-engined propliner flying in the world, that being the Constellation operated by HARS in Australia (there are of course efforts underway to return a few other Constellations to the air). And the Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation is in need of significant monetary donations to get their C-97 back in the air again.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; June 29th, 2021 at 07:59.

Since Jan asked for it, playing with dirt.
    jk6242 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

a bit more, on the shady side:
    jk6243 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

same amount, sunny side:
    jk6244 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

and the insides:
    jk6245 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

I'm not completely happy yet, but is it overall dirty enough, or do you want more, Jan?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Currently, these are the only DC-6's flying in the world (7):

- Red Bull/Flying Bulls OE-LDM, Based in Austria
    - Florida Air Transport N70BF, Based in Hawaii
    - Everts Air Cargo/Fuel N100CE, Based in Alaska
    - Everts Air Cargo/Fuel N251CE, Based in Alaska
    - Everts Air Cargo/Fuel N747CE, Based in Alaska
    - Everts Air Cargo/Fuel N7780B, Based in Alaska
    - Everts Air Cargo/Fuel N9056R, Based in Alaska
    I was under the impression that the owner of PMDG flew a DC-6 and based the addon after that one. Am I mistaken?
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

They've done a pretty good job creating that image. PMDG's Robert Randazzo owns a gorgeous DC-3 (N33611), but not a DC-6.

The color scheme of the flight sim PMDG 'house' DC-6 is based on the color scheme of V5-NCG in Namibia, which is owned by James Mac Ivor (Nighthawk Air Systems Inc.), and which hasn't flown since 2010, but there have been plans to get it flying again and to ferry it across the Atlantic to Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    PMDG's Robert Randazzo owns a gorgeous DC-3 (N33611), but not a DC-6.
    Thanks for the clarification!
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

downloading now Marcel!

meanwhile, I'm working on this:
    jk6257 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6263 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6260 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    Martinair Holland PH-MAM repaint is up:
    https://flightsim.to/file/17141/pmdg...holland-ph-mam

Next: KLM's PH-TGA.

Marcel
    Nice one,
    Thank´s

Uploaded to flightsim.to
    With invaluable help from Jan Kees.
    https://flightsim.to/file/17150/pmdg...nsavia-holland

snap00900 by Danny Best, on Flickr

snap00905 by Danny Best, on Flickr

Hi Marcel,

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    Hi Jan,
    Hear yah :-) Tried to dirty up the Martinair's engines. Like you say it's evident on most pictures (only the repaintkit, does not supply the effect so is left out in most repaints.)
    Making good looking dirt is not so easy as it looks :-)
    Well, i used to particularly love it, not only with FS paints/repaints, also during my 'plastic model career'.. ;-)
    Photo's are your best friends, as you can see with the small DC-6 collection i posted here. Use lots of transparent layers, black and brown colors in various shades and a bit of blue here and there. Not did any repainting for MSFS myself sofar (must be good fun ! ;-) but if you can adjust shine/reflection yourself for certain area's make these soot and dirt area's as matt as possible. Also don't forget the the top and bottom wing. Top wing is often only moderate dirty but like at the bottom it runs all the way over the flaps as well.

PS How would it be on the inner side of both the engines? The engine-exhausts are not present there, however the cowl-flaps are open there, so should this side be as dirty or less or none? Marcel
    Go with what John says ;-)

Already many years ago the boys at California Classics did a good job on the DC-6 regarding engine soot and dirt :

As Sam & Dave used to sing already when the DC-6 was still on the job : "Soot me, Baby, Soot me !" ( Ok, it's Soothe me, where would we be without a little artistic freedom... ;-)
    Last edited by Javis; June 29th, 2021 at 19:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook48 View Post
    Uploaded to flightsim.to
    With invaluable help from Jan Kees.
    https://flightsim.to/file/17150/pmdg...nsavia-holland
    Allemachtig Prachtig, Spook! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Since Jan asked for it, playing with dirt.
    Hehe, well, i wouldn't say i asked for it, it's just that during it's career the DC-6 looked like this. When it comes to soot and dirt the A probabely even much more than the B ( Everts is a good example) but photos prove that even the glamorous airlines could not manage to keep the engine nacelles and wings from accumulating soot and dirt. That's probabely the R-2800 Double Wasp for ya.. ;-) (you'll have a hard time finding photos of the DC-3 with soot and dirt appearing on the nacelles aft of the cowlflaps..)

I'm not completely happy yet, but is it overall dirty enough, or do you want more, Jan?
    Funny that you've chosen Trans-Air-Link here with it's black painted area's behind the outer sides of the front engine nacelles. We know now what that's for, éh ;-)

But as far as the soot goes, yeah, i'd rev up them engines quite a bit more, Jan Kees. (it's a Freighter hard at work, they don't care about how she looks..;-)

still not enough I think...
    jk6274 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6275 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6268 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Sneakpeak of the PH-TGA, still "Work in progress" KLM crown still has to be added. (Due to a mapping of the nose-texture, this will be a challenge).

Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    jk6268 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    What a beauty!
    When I was a young flight engineer in French Air Force, my instructor often talked of the Dc-6 with great pride and I'm pretty sure he would appreciate a lot this livery!
    Kudos to you for giving us this lovely livery
    Best regards
    DCS 2.5 - P3D V3&V4 - XPlane11 - Il BoX - Il46 Sturmovik - Windows 10 64 bit, Intel core i7-4720HQ, CPU 2.6 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 980M.

still playing with dirt..
    turns out N841TA also flew without the painted wings, so off came the paint, and while I was at it, corrected a few earlier mistakes. Still not there yet, but getting closer I think. Any comments?

jk6353 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6351 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6349 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6345 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6348 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Looks much better Jankees! May be a little bit darker on the plate between the exhaust trail!
    Regards
    DCS 2.5 - P3D V3&V4 - XPlane11 - Il BoX - Il46 Sturmovik - Windows 10 64 bit, Intel core i7-4720HQ, CPU 2.6 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 980M.

Brilliant Jankees (pun intended)... bravo! The dirt and the aluminum combined are fantastic!

Carl

you can now try these textures yourself, just uploaded them: https://flightsim.to/file/16740/doug...ir-link-n841ta

jk6408 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6413 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6405 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

and two more:
    jk6371 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6372 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6380 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6384 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6392 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk6395 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Had some time off work to get my paintbrushes wet in the flightsim world. Took me a while to find my way around it all. Still some small things to take care off but maybe I can pack it up tomorrow and share this.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

It is done

Ok, finished the repaint / livery today with all bells and whistles, pretty happy with it now. I hope the colors are more or less correct, I have some severe red-green defiancies which does not make this any easier. Uploaded to flightsim.to for now, pretty excited to see the response as this is my first real step into the FS repainting world. A lot of guesswork for the wing colors, etc. also the real aircraft is a DC-6BF (freighter conversion) with a swingtail, so some inaccuracies couldn't be completely avoided. @Jan, I downloaded that Clipper as soon as I saw it. Really like the old Pan Am Clippers. Thanks!
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

wow, nice and bright!
    and you're colorblind too! Join the club!

Members who have read this thread: 80