Sim installation tips?

Thread: Sim installation tips?

Sim installation tips?

I’ve decided to take the plunge and would like some suggestions on installation - advice/tips/tutorials. Where to buy - MS or Steam, pitfalls to avoid, file set up and file naming conventions and locations, etc. Thanks very much in advance. Oh, and is anyone using CH Controllers?

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

My advice would be to buy it on Steam and install it to literally anywhere besides the default path.

MSFS basically has two components: the launcher and the actual game directory. Steam will install the launcher to its usual path, that's fine. Once you open the launcher you will have the option to select a directory to install the full game. Install it pretty much wherever you want except for the default path.

When you try to launch MSFS and there is an update required, always be sure that the directory you are installing the updates to matches the directory your full game is installed to, not the directory where your launcher resides.

Why Steam over Microsoft Store? Steam is just a better client and storefront. Read over the forums here for the last few months, almost everyone who has problems with updates is using the Microsoft Store version. The Microsoft Store and the Xbox App are just not good.

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    My advice would be to buy it on Steam and install it to literally anywhere besides the default path. Steam is also a lot more flexible than M$ IMHO.
    Welcome to the Dark Side!

Agree 150% with ak416. I installed using Steam and did so in this directory: C:\Flight Simulator. In that directory your "community" folder will be created. that is where your addons will end up in, both scenery, some mods and aircraft/helicopters. Make sure that you have a hangar for your community folder stuff some place else, because it is best to empty the community folder before an update comes in.

I don't think I'll be alone when I say that I'm looking forward to your repaints for this sim!!

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Using a CH Throttle Quadrant with no problems. It's alongside an X 52 HOTAS. I'm using the store version on it's own D drive. I never install anything on C if I can avoid it.
    Sue

ak416, Priller, Penzoil3, thank you for your replies. They helped.

I have a couple more questions (for now) if someone would be so kind as to respond.

1. Which version is recommended? Looks like the major difference is the number of airports and aircraft included. Is functionality the same across all versions?

2. I've read where the main folder names are ridiculously long but may be changed. If that's true when in the process should this occur and which folder names can/should be renamed?

Thanks again in advance for your help.

Steve
    Duckie

Hi Duckie,

Functionality is the same in all versions. The difference is in the aircraft an scenery you get. I have Premium Deluxe, but that is something I actually regret now. I don't really fly the B747, so it is the airports that have to make up for the price I paid. I don't really know whether the updates behave differently with the world updates coming out, but I don't think so. And with the updates we've already had, the US, France/Belgium/Luxemburg/The Netherlands, parts of Sandinavia, Japan and the UK are vastly more detailed than when the sim came out.

Indeed, the folders in the "Official" folder where the default stuff is stored are very long, but you don't really need to go into them. All mods, repaints and addons are stored in the "Community" folder, so there is no reason to tinker with the default stuff at all. Best leave them as they are so that things don't get messed up when there are updates.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Once installed, be sure to go to the in-sim "Marketplace" and filter for free content. All of the World Updates so far have included content there. I have no idea if a fresh install will include those items, but I suspect not.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Yes , first get a new SSD or M.2.disk ( extern on USB.3.1 will work too ) , then make a folder for it (MSFS) there , and then go to Microsoft Store and update everything , then start the big download of MSFS from Microsoft Store , ( i never had a problem with that ) ... maybe upgrade your Internet speed too ~

HB

Duckie,

Go visit Flightsim.to. All the free addons you'll ever want are there, updated constantly. First thing you should download is Addon-Linker. I use it to put all of my add-ons on a external drive and use Addon-Linker to link them to my MSFS2020 Community directory. It is a awesome free program!!!!!! Pete

Thanks, everyone, for the advice and tips, all very helpful. Now, let’s see how it goes.

Steve
    Duckie

to avoid clogging up my C: drive, I installed everything on a separate 2Tb SSD drive, and things are working just smoothly. MSFS is now almost 500 GB, it swells rather quickly.
    I bought it in the MSstore, no real problems apart from after the last update when it wouldn't start anymore.
    Which version to get? AFAIKS, the functionality is the same, it's just a few aircraft and airports more. The extra aircraft contained nothing that even vaguely interested me, and the airports were mainly large airports which I rarely visit anyway, so I bought the simplest version, and have no regrets whatsoever.
    Flightsim.to is the place for freeware downloads, I have not bought a lot of scenery, since default looks so good already, but I was in desperate need for some interesting aircraft, default didn't really do it for me.
    My favorites so far: Spitfire IX, Milviz Corsair, Dean's Stearman, the P-149 and now the DC-6..
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    to avoid clogging up my C: drive, I installed everything on a separate 2Tb SSD drive, and things are working just smoothly. MSFS is now almost 500 GB, it swells rather quickly.
    I bought it in the MSstore, no real problems apart from after the last update when it wouldn't start anymore.
    Which version to get? AFAIKS, the functionality is the same, it's just a few aircraft and airports more. The extra aircraft contained nothing that even vaguely interested me, and the airports were mainly large airports which I rarely visit anyway, so I bought the simplest version, and have no regrets whatsoever.
    Flightsim.to is the place for freeware downloads, I have not bought a lot of scenery, since default looks so good already, but I was in desperate need for some interesting aircraft, default didn't really do it for me.
    My favorites so far: Spitfire IX, Milviz Corsair, Dean's Stearman, the P-149 and now the DC-6..
    JanKees, thanks very much for that. Seems our interests are similarly aligned, especially regarding aircraft types. Data amount and drive size is particularly helpful also.

Steve
    Duckie

Agreed with most of the posts above. My base game is on my C: SSD, but during install, when it prompts you for the folder where it will download its 100GB+ of data and put your Community folder, I selected F:\FlightSim. (F: is my 2TB flight sim SSD.)

I'll disagree on Steam, though, and suggest the MS Store. Although it can be a bit quirky at times with updates, avoiding Steam is removing an extra layer of another company (Valve), it means the Steam executable doesn't have to run and take up a small amount of CPU/memory when running, and you can participate in previews/betas if you choose to down the road.

Also, if you opt for the MS install, you also get a license for the Xbox Series X|S version for free, included, and access to some of your DLC (it's up to the publisher). Even if you don't have an Xbox Series X now, you never know if you might want to run MSFS at a smooth 30 fps on a big TV in the living room for VFR sightseeing down the road.

Steam adds another layer of potential issues, removes the cross-platform benefit, and is less likely to allow beta participation, and doesn't add any real benefit unless you're collecting Steam achievements.

I also agree with most of the posts above, and the best nuggets from what I've read there are to buy the sim its own drive

I use a CH yoke, some CH pedals that are so old that they have the old PC joystick plug and have to be adapted to USB, and a Logitech X-56. It all works perfectly, and the sim's controller profile management is one of its strong points. You can set up multiple different button/axis assignment setups for the same controller, and also different sensitivities. This is useful for managing different types of aircraft and for coping with addon developers' differing levels of compensation for the bugs that still exist in MSFS's flight model.

I opted for MS Store for the same reasons as Denny, and have no regrets. It has functioned perfectly and I do not care for Steam or its interface.

I have yet to be really impressed by any payware addon airplane for the sim, and most of my favorite rides are still legacy FSX/P3D conversions. But several of the latest addon planes are about as good as a good P3D product. Shop carefully. I still haven't found a YouTube channel or a forum board that offers reliable, critical reviews of MSFS addon products, so you have to look at videos closely and read between the lines of people's comments to get an idea of which ones might not meet your expectations.

Good luck, happy flying.

August

Thanks August. Particularly interested in your controller comments. I’ve had the Fighterstick, Single engine throttle and rudder pedals (all USB) since 2004 and they still work like the day I bought them. Really glad to know yours and Sue’s (Penzoil3) equipment work in the sim. I also have a fresh 1TB SSD standing by for duty.

Steve
    Duckie

Members who have read this thread: 0