FSX F9F Cougar VA-66

Thread: FSX F9F Cougar VA-66

FSX F9F Cougar VA-66

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FSX Add-Ons

Description: This FSX repaint is for the freeware Grumman F9F-8 Cougar by Rob Richardson. It represents F9F-8B BuNo 131095, Modex "305", from VA-66 Waldomen aboard U.S.S. Intrepid (CVA 11), September - November 1957 that participated in the largest peacetime naval operation (to that date), which simulated a Soviet attack on NATO. Intrepid had just completed a major modernization to SCB-125 (September 1956 - April 1957) where she received a "Hurricane Bow" and an angled deck. Model and paint kit by Rob Richardson, Repaint by Steve Bryant, June 2021.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FSX F9F Cougar VA-66
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Again, very nice!

The "B" really only varied from the basic -8 in relatively unseen details. They had the wiring for carriage of a "special weapon" and an instrument similar to the ID-249 ILS indicator, for loft angle bombing. The annoying non-rectilinear (i.e. pivoted on the left end) glideslope needle was programmed to guide a 4-g pullup, the non-rectilinear localizer needle provided accurate heading control. Other control heads on the left console set the bomb release angle based on mission planning.

As best I recall this LABS instrument was mounted on top of the glare shield on the right side.

As a student flying training flights in the AF-9J, we never used the LABS. Other than the indicator there was no other equipment installed in the AF-9Js sent to the training command. I did, however, learn to use it in the A-4B; what a goat rope! The A-4C and RA-5 brought in the AJB system, an all-attitude indicator with integrated steering needles. What a great instrument it was, and used in many airplanes onward, such as the F-4 and A-7.

Mike, thanks so much for sharing your experience. Extremely informative and always a good read. You just can’t beat hearing it from someone who’s been there and done it.

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Members who have read this thread: 2