MSFS Coming to Xbox on July 27

Thread: MSFS Coming to Xbox on July 27

MSFS Coming to Xbox on July 27

They just announced the date at the Xbox game presentation this morning.

And... a free Top Gun add-on to coincide with Maverick's release!

I know some of y'all think that appealing to the Xbox audience is a negative, but I don't think so. If it brings in new players, if it gives developers of add-on planes and scenery a bigger opportunity to make money, if it gives MS more incentive to pour development money into MSFS, these are all good things. It's also bringing stuff like the Honeycomb controls to the Xbox One X, so you can play the sim on your 75-inch TV.

An Xbox Series X (if you can find one) is $499 and it will run MSFS well, I'm sure. Price of entry is lower, market is bigger, this is all good for our hobby.

This perspective comes from my time as a journalist covering the flight sim market; I think it's good for the genre. If it's successful, we might see more developers working on FS content, civilian and combat.

(PS: It's Xbox, not X-Box, X Box, or XBox. :-)

Xbox version trailer. Set to start at the Top Gun Maverick add-on, since I know y'all know what the sim looks like. :-)

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugwg80t2-kJRAzsW2aJ4AaABCQ

Looks like we'll get an F/A-18E and the imaginary stealth fighter.
    Last edited by DennyA; June 13th, 2021 at 14:24.

I'm underwhelmed Denny.........
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Check out 0:45 and on in the trailer -- looks like water effects (and snow/dirt) are finally coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I'm underwhelmed Denny.........
    And 100% the reaction I expect here.

But personally, I have an Xbox Series X, so I'm looking forward to VFR sightseeing on my 65" TV. And if this is successful on Xbox, it'll help prevent MS from abandoning the series again down the road. (With the dependence on servers, it can't all be propped up by third parties like FSX was.) All good stuff.

It looks like we're going to get the 'Acceleration Pack' addon after all - sans helicopters and sling loads...Still Good News

no weapons or hard points on that F-18E Cadillac - but cats n traps will still be fun, and air to air refueling if it can be added would be good enough for me.

dust trails on take-off / landing on dirt or grass as well as wake effects and spray (as long as they leave the 'chunks' out this time - All Good
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Most of the people saying that the Xbox version is a bad thing have literally no idea what they are talking about. People who are completely out of touch and think that the only people who play games on a console are children with no attention spans who just want to shoot stuff. They make completely baseless assumptions that the PC version will suffer visual downgrades or that Asobo will start catering to the more casual crowd because of the console version, completely ignoring Asobo's efforts to do the exact opposite over the last 10 months.

Anyways, this trailer looks great. Lots of new liveries, floats, ski's, water and snow/dirt effects, possibly improved animal behaviour/placement, the carrier, F-18, whatever the hell that stealth thing... DX12 is supposed to be coming with the Xbox release, hopefully they can find a way to implement DLSS as that could bring a significant performance increase. The future of MSFS looks bright, I'm looking forward to the new content.

I'll admit that I have been both critic and friend to MSFS since its release. Often even within the same post. Opinions change with new information, corrections, and the passage of time.
    I agree that this expansion looks good. These are features MSFS should have. Glad they're being added.
    enter..the Sandman

Excellent points and perspectives all around, Denny and AK, and I couldn't agree more.

BTW, based on the latest development update, the DX12 version of MSFS is coming this year and helicopters will be coming in 2022 (among about a hundred other things listed).

I'm just curious, since I don't own an XBox, is there a way to run HOTAS through XBox? I'm just wondering if hardware developers will develop their equipment to to connect with it, or if people playing it on XBox. but want better/more realistic controllers would have to invest in a PC system to get that capability. Either way, as you noted at the beginning, I see this as a huge win for everyone who uses FS. Expanding the market/fan base is always a good thing, IMHO.

DennyA, Heywooood and ak416, I wish there was a "Like" button on this forum!
    I pre-ordered an Xbox Series X direct from Microsoft which was delivered on release day, just to run MSFS. I've only installed Forza Horizon 4 for the grandkids so far, but they absolutely love it (and me too!).
    I'm fed up with the constant tweaking of hardware, software, Windows updates, driver updates, antivirus updates, and anything else I think of at 3am!
    I just want to switch on and go - all I've ever had for flight sim is a CH yoke & pedals, keyboard & mouse, and one monitor.
    Seems like the Xbox Series X was made for me - I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with multi-monitor, VR, or home cockpit set-ups obviously.
    And now they're talking about the Xbox app being built-in to certain (TBA) smart TV's too - just like Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime and the rest.
    The net for more player/simmers couldn't be thrown any wider than that, and given that the Xbox Game Pass subscription has exceeded all expectations, the entire gaming world will be able to try MSFS for free any time they like, for as long as they like.
    This is going to make multiplayer a nightmare for "serious simmers", but the demands they are all going to make for upgrading MSFS to other current game's standards is going to be priceless.
    An awful lot of these console gamers began playing back in the 90's and early 2000's, so they're in their 30's and 40's now - these are the guys who've been modding race sims etc. since they were kids and they're the guys who've been churning out fantastic quality freeware scenery for MSFS faster than the established payware developers can.
    They're already current on the tools and processes required for MSFS, and they already walk among us, so be careful what you say about them LOL! They love it just as much as we do!

Edit: @Sundog - YES the Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas One has been Xbox compatible since the Xbox One, and still is - Xbox users on the flightsimulator.com forums have confirmed that they use it in other sims on the Xbox Series X.
    I would expect any controller currently compatible with the PC version to be supported on the Xbox version at launch, I can't see why that compatibility wouldn't port over with all the the other settings.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    the demands they are all going to make for upgrading MSFS to other current game's standards is going to be priceless.
    An awful lot of these console gamers began playing back in the 90's and early 2000's, so they're in their 30's and 40's now - these are the guys who've been modding race sims etc. since they were kids and they're the guys who've been churning out fantastic quality freeware scenery for MSFS faster than the established payware developers can.
    They're already current on the tools and processes required for MSFS, and they already walk among us, so be careful what you say about them LOL! They love it just as much as we do!
    I agree with everything you said above - but am both excited and apprehensive about these thoughts especially - hoping for the best though
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    I'm just curious, since I don't own an XBox, is there a way to run HOTAS through XBox? I'm just wondering if hardware developers will develop their equipment to to connect with it, or if people playing it on XBox. but want better/more realistic controllers would have to invest in a PC system to get that capability. Either way, as you noted at the beginning, I see this as a huge win for everyone who uses FS. Expanding the market/fan base is always a good thing, IMHO.
    What is the list of recommended peripherals that will work for the Xbox version?

• Microsoft Flight Simulator fully supports Xbox gamepad, keyboard and mouse, Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One, Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder, and HORI HOTAS Flight Stick for Xbox One. New, Xbox-compatible peripherals will be announced soon, but we cannot share any further details at this time.
    https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/...lator-Xbox-FAQ

Honeycomb has also said their peripherals will work on the Xbox version. Hopefully more hardware developers will get on board and support is expanded. Wouldn't count on something like TrackIR being supported, though.

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    I agree with everything you said above - but am both excited and apprehensive about these thoughts especially - hoping for the best though
    So far, the standard of the freeware mods has been outstanding - to the point where Asobo Studios/Xbox Studios have contracted the Working Title group to work alongside them in the future.
    I share your apprehension in some respects, but it's been a VERY long time since flight sim has been a mainstream title and maybe we've all become used to our own community and are now suspicious of outsiders?

Blog Entries
    I pre-ordered an Xbox Series X direct from Microsoft which was delivered on release day, just to run MSFS. I've only installed Forza Horizon 4 for the grandkids so far, but they absolutely love it (and me too!).

I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with multi-monitor, VR, or home cockpit set-ups obviously...
    I would have thought this thing would be a VRers dream. haven't they been doing VR games with X-Box for years?
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Honeycomb has already announced that they'll support the Xbox with the Alpha/Bravo/Charlie.

https://twinfinite.net/2020/11/micro...ox-series-x-s/

The Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One is also available for the Xbox One/Series X|S.

I would expect Microsoft will have partner announcements about other controllers as we get closer to the 7/27 launch.

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I would have thought this thing would be a VRers dream. haven't they been doing VR games with X-Box for years?
    Nope, no VR on the Xbox. PlayStation has VR on the PS4, but Microsoft hasn't entered that arena yet on consoles, just PC.

So, DX12 also 27.07 for PC edition? I hope!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Xbox Studios have decided that the VR market isn't big enough to bother with yet, according to this article with quotes from Phil Spencer: https://www.windowscentral.com/will-...20why%20not%3F

Blog Entries
    Xbox Studios have decided that the VR market isn't big enough to bother with yet, according to this article with quotes from Phil Spencer: https://www.windowscentral.com/will-...20why%20not%3F
    Well, may so? However, as YoYo, who helped get me into VR would say, after experiencing VR there is no going back. It is the closest thing to real flight I have ever experienced. I can say that even after flying the actual T-6A 270 degree sim at Columbus, AFB and Randolph, AFB. While at the later I did get to stand beside a T-38C sim and watch. There was no time for me to get in, however it was fully scheduled. I can say that the VR visual is better than the T-38's visuals. at least two years ago.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Interesting that (A:cannon ammo ,number ) is still a useable variable in MSFS. I'm thinking that you will get something like you get with elite dangerous. If you have the "Shooty dakka dakka" DLC then you can on a separate server with other shooty shooty dakka dakka DLC users to have the combat experience. To be honest that is what Top gun is all about even if it is a training exercise.

Thanks for the link to MS's response to VR. Useful to know

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    Interesting that (A:cannon ammo ,number ) is still a useable variable in MSFS. I'm thinking that you will get something like you get with elite dangerous. If you have the "Shooty dakka dakka" DLC then you can on a separate server with other shooty shooty dakka dakka DLC users to have the combat experience.

My understanding is that the ban on weapons in MSFS DLC sold via the marketplace is because adding weapons has the potential to change the PEGI rating, which then changes where and how MS/Asobo are allowed to advertise the product, so I'd be surprised if there was ever any "official" content involving weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by azflyboy View Post
    My understanding is that the ban on weapons in MSFS DLC sold via the marketplace is because adding weapons has the potential to change the PEGI rating, which then changes where and how MS/Asobo are allowed to advertise the product, so I'd be surprised if there was ever any "official" content involving weapons.
    They'll just slap a " online experience may change ... blah blah " or heck have the pegi rating for the DLC be higher than the main game. I dont think they will ignore the obvious question " Can I shoot things - and I want to dogfight like maverick did in topgun ". We shall all see what the future brings.

New Turtle Beach flight sim controller coming to Xbox for MSFS, priced at $350, which includes yoke, multiple engine controls and trim wheel. (Would still need rudder pedals, such as those from Thrustmaster.)

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/14/2...price-features

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw2mVAlnptg

Maybe Microsoft is thinking of later using MSFS as a basis for a combat flight sim? Just thinking out loud.

I do think that a combat flight sim with these graphics will drive the CFS3 and Il-2 communities crazy!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Wow - where is the carrier from? Where is the crew from? How is the F-18 pilot been animated (means, which model is it)?

If these questions can be answered satisfying, I am thinking about MSFS truly...
    Best regards, Manfred.

Members who have read this thread: 0