Midway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Midway

Midway

I've been doing some work on some Midway Missions not covered by Pen32Win AF=Midway.His mission on the US side were mainly for USS Enterprise.Yes he did 1 for the USS Hornet attacking IJN Cruisers and a few for USS Yorktown protecting Yorktown.

I am doing some of the Yorktown attacking the IJN Carriers.Missions will also be done Enterprise and Hornet.

Some pics of the IJN Carriers after being hit.Carriers are VN ships never released

TheBookie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Akagi hit.jpg   Hiryu Hit.jpg   Kaga Hit.jpg   Soryu hit.jpg  

I'm late responding this PM but it's all looking good, mate!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Found some info that will make for some interesting missions.

IJN floatplane picked up Enterprise radar.

4 engine floatplane shot down Enterprise CAP.

Yorktown scout planes looking for Japanese,2 missions one of them finds Hiryu.

Enterprise dive bombers attack a light cruiser.

TheBookie

Icon22 Reply...

TheBookie,

These do sound like interesting missions, thanks!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    TheBookie,

These do sound like interesting missions, thanks!
    As you know some little unknown things can add a great deal to missions and campaigns.

TheBookie

I also found more info on some of the attacks on the IJN Carriers.

When Akagi was ablaze some dive bombers attacked and got 1 or 2 hits and got a hit on a Light Cruiser.

When Yorktown was attacked fighters from Hornet shot down some Vals and Zeroes.

There was also more detail on the Hornets attack the IJN surface ships,there were 2 attacks by Hornet.Some of the dive bombers involved were from Yorktown.

The question is,Should I continue to work on these missions?It seems not much interest in them.Only 2 responses out of over 50 members reading these posts.Might be nice to have of them give some input.

TheBookie

Library Staff
    Bookie, I'm always interested in new missions.

I say as long as you enjoy building missions, scenery or aircraft go ahead and do it. If other people enjoy your work, it's a bonus.

I had a fly of FS2020 on a brand new gaming computer hooked up to a 60 inch TV the other night. The graphics were fantastic but I don't think I'll be retiring my CFS2 for a long time yet. I suppose I just like blowing things up.

Kevin

TheBookie,

I can see this might be useful as a historical retelling of the story of the battle, but rather like the Pearl Harbor Project I struggle to see that such a mission pack could have much in the way of replayability, apart from striving to equal the "stellar" real life outcome (for the US).

and it's going to be thankless playing as a JAP!

You might get some more engagement if you fleshed out some individual mission ideas, & asked for feedback?

Kevin had it right, "... as long as you enjoy building missions, scenery or aircraft go ahead and do it. If other people enjoy your work, it's a bonus."

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    TheBookie,

I can see this might be useful as a historical retelling of the story of the battle, but rather like the Pearl Harbor Project I struggle to see that such a mission pack could have much in the way of replayability, apart from striving to equal the "stellar" real life outcome (for the US).

and it's going to be thankless playing as a JAP!

You might get some more engagement if you fleshed out some individual mission ideas, & asked for feedback?

Kevin had it right, "... as long as you enjoy building missions, scenery or aircraft go ahead and do it. If other people enjoy your work, it's a bonus."
    Which, if that wasn't true, we'd have all quit making stuff a long time ago.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

I like making missions but most are to check if somethings work as they should.The pics of the carriers in my other posts are putting in other effects to get more smoke and fire on the them.They had very little before I started to work on them.

Uncle Tgt

I'm just trying to add to the Midway package done by Pen32Win.Even though he did missions for Yorktown and Hornet most were based on Enterprise action reports.I'm just going more into those 2 ships role.

As for missions being replayed,that's up to the person flying the missions.It depends on what a person enjoys.

Historical missions are meant to be a history lesson in a way,yes they can be boring but that's life.

Most people say that Midway was the turning point in the Pacific War,but actually it was the Coral Sea.After every thing the Japanese did was defensive,even Midway.They never won a major battle again except for some surface battles,one of which is Savo Island after the US invasion of Guadalcanal.

Also to note-It's always just the same people that post on most peoples work and they people that have been around for years.It would be nice to hear from others as to what they like also.

I'm doing these missions because they interest me.

TheBookie

Icon22 Reply...

TheBookie,

It's awesome to see these missions being overhauled. Nice work!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by TheBookie View Post
    I also found more info on some of the attacks on the IJN Carriers. When Akagi was ablaze some dive bombers attacked and got 1 or 2 hits and got a hit on a Light Cruiser. When Yorktown was attacked fighters from Hornet shot down some Vals and Zeroes. There was also more detail on the Hornets attack the IJN surface ships,there were 2 attacks by Hornet.Some of the dive bombers involved were from Yorktown. The question is,Should I continue to work on these missions?It seems not much interest in them.Only 2 responses out of over 50 members reading these posts.Might be nice to have of them give some input. TheBookie
    So, I would love it if you would continue to work on the missions, a revision of the Midway missions would be very great, the one zige missions in this section are those of the AF Midway team , as far as I remember. And they are a bit older now

I like making missions but most are to check if somethings work as they should.The pics of the carriers in my other posts are putting in other effects to get more smoke and fire on the them.They had very little before I started to work on them. Uncle Tgt I'm just trying to add to the Midway package done by Pen32Win.Even though he did missions for Yorktown and Hornet most were based on Enterprise action reports.I'm just going more into those 2 ships role. As for missions being replayed,that's up to the person flying the missions.It depends on what a person enjoys. Historical missions are meant to be a history lesson in a way,yes they can be boring but that's life. Most people say that Midway was the turning point in the Pacific War,but actually it was the Coral Sea.After every thing the Japanese did was defensive,even Midway.They never won a major battle again except for some surface battles,one of which is Savo Island after the US invasion of Guadalcanal. Also to note-It's always just the same people that post on most peoples work and they people that have been around for years.It would be nice to hear from others as to what they like also. I'm doing these missions because they interest me. TheBookie
    The Coral Sea, however, was actually a tactical draw,. but had the Japanese already lost here? But there one can discuss forever. The same applies to Pearl... Wouldn't it have been more effective, as Genda said afterwards, to occupy Hawaii immediately after the attack or at least to let the 3rd wave attack? In the latter case the Enterprise would have been due, if the typhoon had not been on the day before the 7 then it would have already belonged with the first wave to the victims... Short offtopic: Does one of the gentlemen here play War on the Sea from Killerfish Games? It is currently on sale I can only recommend it to everyone I always love playing your missions, they are stes well done and well researched

Quote Originally Posted by ElsnerMarkus View Post
    The Coral Sea, however, was actually a tactical draw,. but had the Japanese already lost here? But there one can discuss forever. The same applies to Pearl... Wouldn't it have been more effective, as Genda said afterwards, to occupy Hawaii immediately after the attack or at least to let the 3rd wave attack? In the latter case the Enterprise would have been due, if the typhoon had not been on the day before the 7 then it would have already belonged with the first wave to the victims... Short offtopic: Does one of the gentlemen here play War on the Sea from Killerfish Games? It is currently on sale I can only recommend it to everyone I always love playing your missions, they are stes well done and well researched
    ElsnerMarkus,

At Coral Sea it was the first time the Japanese were stopped in the Pacific.If they hadn't be stopped they would have taken NG and cutoff Australia.

Midway was approved because of the Doolittle Raid,they needed to strengthen their defensive outer rim.

At the time of Pearl Harbor the Japanese didn't have the ability to invade Hawaii.They had no facilities to resupply around the area.

TheBookie

TheBookie,

Rami,

I'm just doing extra missions for Midway.

I did update the AF=Midway USN missions with ships and planes not available at that time ( 2002 or 2003 ) but haven't gotten permission to upload them.I haven't done the IJN missions yet but plan to.

TheBookie

Rami, I'm just doing extra missions for Midway. I did update the AF=Midway USN missions with ships and planes not available at that time ( 2002 or 2003 ) but haven't gotten permission to upload them.I haven't done the IJN missions yet but plan to. TheBookie
    @bookie Why that? Do they just not want their missions to be updated, or do they even want to do it themselves (which I don't think)? Is the AF Midway team still active here at all?

TheBookie,

Indeed! With the release of all the new ships and other elements, a re-do of the missions is a must. I'm glad you are taking on the task.

Cheers:

SW07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by ElsnerMarkus View Post
    @bookie Why that? Do they just not want their missions to be updated, or do they even want to do it themselves (which I don't think)? Is the AF Midway team still active here at all?
    Basically I redid them for myself and never really thought about uploading them.I update missions all the time when new and better planes and ships come out.

I also never asked permission to upload.

All the pics I put up in this thread are from missions I wrote.

TheBookie

TheBookie:

The missions referred to are so old that the authors may be hard to reach. You can get by, since they are freeware and uploaded for public use, I would say that you can upload them as freeware too. Just give full credit to the original authors in your readme.

SW07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

It is still necessary - and the right thing to do - to make a genuine effort to contact the original authors. Some are still around even if no longer active in CFS2. It's not right to just assume. If those efforts fail, then a work can be uploaded with the understanding that if an author suddenly reappears and objects, the upload will be removed.

On anther note, I would like to see the AFMidway missions updated too so hopefully, that would be possible.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

I sent an e-mail earlier to see if I can get permission to upload the updated AF=Midway and The Fast Carrier Raids.

TheBookie

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    It is still necessary - and the right thing to do - to make a genuine effort to contact the original authors. Some are still around even if no longer active in CFS2. It's not right to just assume. If those efforts fail, then a work can be uploaded with the understanding that if an author suddenly reappears and objects, the upload will be removed.

On anther note, I would like to see the AFMidway missions updated too so hopefully, that would be possible.
    Captain Kurt,

I can send them to you if you want.

TheBookie

the bookie, I have permision to upload and modify the virtual navy ships if you have those models of the ships you can send them to me. I can added with my pack of ships.
    it would be a recovery.

I tried to contact you privately but the profile won't let me

Mikuma at Midway gets hit.

TheBookie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mikuma at Midway.jpg  

That would be nice, thank you.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Members who have read this thread: 2