DC Designs PT-17 Stearman is Out - Page 9
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: DC Designs PT-17 Stearman is Out

Hopefully this gets pushed out to the MS store soon. One of the few aircraft I purchased in game, must have been a weak moment.

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    Big problem with new installer.
    Attachment 84489 Attachment 84490
    No problems at all this side of the world...installed fine
    regards

Me too... (JustFlight download)

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    Hopefully this gets pushed out to the MS store soon.
    I respectfully (but wholeheartedly) disagree. After many users' experience (me included) with some Drzewiecki and Orbx add-ons when bought from MS Marketplace, I hope all DC Designs stuff keeps away from the Marketplace forever.

Installing this Stearman update has been a breeze here. Not so sure if I had had to get it from the Marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Stearman View Post
    I respectfully (but wholeheartedly) disagree. After many users' experience (me included) with some Drzewiecki and Orbx add-ons when bought from MS Marketplace, I hope all DC Designs stuff keeps away from the Marketplace forever.

Installing this Stearman update has been a breeze here. Not so sure if I had had to get it from the Marketplace.
    So are you saying we are not deserving of any future updates?? Really?? Hmm

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    So are you saying we are not deserving of any future updates??
    Nonsense, I can't understand how you can think I am saying that

What I'm saying is I don't trust the MS in-game Marketplace, so I'll avoid buying through it whenever possible.

There are plenty of other vendors to get new add-ons or updates from. Just Flight and the Stearman we're talking about are a perfect example.

What I'm saying is I don't trust the MS in-game Marketplace, so I'll avoid buying through it whenever possible.

There are plenty of other vendors to get new add-ons or updates from. Just Flight and the Stearman we're talking about are a perfect example.
    Indeed, I bought this sim through Steam, and I know why. I will never buy anything FS related through the "marketplace". The term by itself is offensive.

Since the end of the 1980's, the world has been ruled by the blasted marketplace.

I'll get off me soapbox now...

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

OK, I'm right with you then. I messed up and got so excited when I saw it there I just pushed the button to purchase it. Most of my payware is purchased from the creator if available and in my community folder, with the exception of the Carenado stuff. I don't understand why he doesn't have that option. Maybe it's a contract item with MS.

LouP

Sorry to hear of the installer issues some folks are having - we checked the Stearman for the usual culprit ( Windows path exceeding the 256 character limit ) but it's not there, so we're not sure what's causing it. Is it just with Marketplace downloads? If so, it might be Mummy Microsoft's fault this time for some reason.

Also, regarding buying on the Marketplace - 70% of all sales come from the Marketplace. Not selling there would be developer suicide I'm afraid. Some of my future products will only be available on the Marketplace.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Maybe you would have more clout then us getting them to offer the updates more timely

LouP

Marketplace staff are overwhelmed. I read on the official board somewhere that they hired four more people to help with the backlog. Hopefully they'll get a better handle on it.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Some of my future products will only be available on the Marketplace.
    Ouch.

I hope the Concorde won't be one of these.

Ouch.

I hope the Concorde won't be one of these.
    Yes, it will. Don't blame developers, blame software piracy ( they can't crack MS releases, only third-party )
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Yes, it will. Don't blame developers, blame software piracy ( they can't crack MS releases, only third-party )
    I don't blame developers, I blame MS Marketplace malfunctioning.
    That's a FACT.
    Search for what happened with some Drzewiecki products, for example. They don't work when purchased from MS, while they work perfect from other vendors. Three months later, Asobo is promising they will fix it with next SU. We'll see.

Must be a lucky one...bought 3 planes at marketplace, no problems at all....

Lack of purchase traceability, no support options, inability to edit config files, terrible update rate, etc. total mercy of MS, so no sale for me. While I appreciate the piracy issue, the open nature of the flightsim is one of its major appeals and those willing to pirate really aren’t going to pay anyway. If I wanted a closed Xbox system, that’s what I would use but there are plenty that do, so c’est la vie, no Concorde for me.

Other than the slow updates and inability to tweak flight models and systems, my biggest issue with the Marketplace is their refusal to allow weapons on military planes. An F-16 without missiles on the wingtips just looks dumb. And a P-38 with the gun barrels removed is distractingly wrong. (I also think the ESRB would not screw with their E rating if there were non-fireable weapons on an airplane -- I've worked with them since the 90s and they're generally pretty reasonable on their rating systems.)

I know it has to be disheartening to see your product stolen. But 95%+ of those crooks were never going to buy it in the first place. The 5% "real loss" is likely balanced by the additional exposure of non-Marketplace storefronts.

Perhaps MSFS plane developers could band together to create a third-party protection alternative - MilViz could license their protection so we only get one annoying DRM process running in the background for all our planes, for instance.

As it is, I won't be buying Dean's brother's F-16 or any other other Marketplace combat planes due to the weapons restrictions. Which is a shame, because I love the F-15 and F-14. Something like the Stearman or Concorde I'd consider for a Marketplace purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    An F-16 without missiles on the wingtips just looks dumb.
    Two blue stripes for an inert motor section and inert warhead should pass. As I understand it, the missile on the wingtip actually helps with aerodynamics (maybe vortex reduction?).
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    As it is, I won't be buying Dean's brother's F-16 or any other other Marketplace combat planes due to the weapons restrictions. Which is a shame, because I love the F-15 and F-14. Something like the Stearman or Concorde I'd consider for a Marketplace purchase.
    Wasn´t aware of those restrictions.Of course I will not buy a combat plane with no weapons...

Oh ye of little faith...

While Marketplace console buyers will never see weapons on their aircraft, had you all forgotten so easily that PC purchases ( even Marketplace ones ) can receive add-ons? It's how liveries work, flight model mods etc etc. Do you really think I would not have a cunning plan up my sleeve for us PC users? I know what I'm doing...

As for those saying that pirates would never pay anyway so I should just let them do it; this is tremendously naive. Learn a little about what software piracy is and why it is really done, and you'll understand.

As for those saying that pirates would never pay anyway so I should just let them do it; this is tremendously naive. Learn a little about what software piracy is and why it is really done, and you'll understand.
    I've worked in the gaming industry as a journalist and a merchandiser since the 1990s. Not speaking from naivety.

But piracy arguments never go anywhere. If there's a plan in place to work around the ESRB silliness, I'm back in line.

Oh ye of little faith...

While Marketplace console buyers will never see weapons on their aircraft, had you all forgotten so easily that PC purchases ( even Marketplace ones ) can receive add-ons? It's how liveries work, flight model mods etc etc. Do you really think I would not have a cunning plan up my sleeve for us PC users? I know what I'm doing...

Hi Dean, even if you insist on the piracy question, you won't move me away from my primary reason to refuse buying through the MS Marketplace: it has critical malfunctions, probably caused by the same encryption system that you praise as an anti-piracy protection. Everyone can see a clear example in the red-highlighted text here: https://drzewiecki-design.net/forum/index.php. Also Orbx has had this kind of issues.

If you insist on selling the Concorde only through the Marketplace, it will make me sad because I have been much longing for this aircraft (almost as much as I did for the Stearman), but I'll have to skip it.

Anyhow, thanks once again for your past creations.

Some of my future products will only be available on the Marketplace.
    Hi Dean,

Out of curiosity, you say some of your future products will only be available through the marketplace. What would be the criteria for what goes where if I may ask?

Like so many others here, buying from the marketplace is just not on for me. Never.

And that F-16 (by your brother?), will that only be available through the marketplace?

I have to go wash my hands now, having typed "marketplace" way too many times. I feel dirty now...

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Hi Dean,

Out of curiosity, you say some of your future products will only be available through the marketplace. What would be the criteria for what goes where if I may ask?

Priller
    Until we have some sort of suitable DRM for products distributed by third-party stores, everything I release will be Marketplace only. The F-16s may differ from that as they're SC Designs, so it's up to him how he proceeds. As I mentioned earlier, the vast majority of sales come from the Marketplace, so while I wouldn't want to cut out other platforms entirely by choice, for now it makes sense. I'm not happy just sitting back and watching criminals steal my work the day it's released and make money from it ( which they do, despite what others might think ).

About the only thing I'm concerned about is the 16 week wait mentioned in an above post for updates / releases on the Marketplace. If that turns out to be true then simple economics might force wide releases until things get sorted at Microsoft.

Members who have read this thread: 0