DC Designs PT-17 Stearman is Out - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Designs PT-17 Stearman is Out

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    Brilliant, thanks
    ---------
    The Caudron is also very nice, but I think it is under-scale, especially in VR it feels like a model - I don't mean the short wings and cramped cockpit, it's all the dials and controls are tiny.
    Anybody have an opinion on that?
    ---------
    See my post from Today: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1263410 .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Boss86001 View Post
    Is the Stearman ever going to be sold at the Marketplace or only at Justflight?
    It's with the Marketplace now and is going through their review process. Shouldn't be too long hopefully.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Brilliant, thanks
    The GAS Stearman has a lever on the right cockpit wall for the tailwheel lock (incidentally the GAS Stearman demo imports nicely into MSFS).
    Some aircraft you hold the stick right back to engage the lock.
    I guess it would be too much to ask for the lever to be added and the tailwheel animated...no problems I'm very happy with it as it is.
    I am hoping to add that, I was seeking info on where the control was in the cockpit. If it doesn't make it into Friday's update, it'll show up in the next one.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    I am hoping to add that, I was seeking info on where the control was in the cockpit. If it doesn't make it into Friday's update, it'll show up in the next one.
    Aside from the animated control, is it possible at all (via keyboard or joystick) to actually lock the tail wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Stearman View Post
    Aside from the animated control, is it possible at all (via keyboard or joystick) to actually lock the tail wheel?
    Sure, I've mapped it to a throttle button, search for "tail" in the assignment menu (with All selected) and you should find TailWheel Lock or similar.
    You then wont be able to turn without using differential brakes...

Did some more flying this morning. Dean, whoever did your audio earned their commission. The sound in the cockpit feels good, but what was really impressive was going to an outside view and panning around the plane. The sounds really do sound like a similar radial does at airshows as you fly around the camera. Really among the best I've heard for a plane in this class in a sim.

Overall the flight model feels really nice, and I appreciate the manageability on takeoff. I saw Dean reply to a real Stearman pilot's comments about the drag needing to be increased on a YouTube review. (Not sure if you saw my earlier comment, Dean, as it fell in the middle of yesterday's fun discussion. ) So with a bit of increase in the drag to make the landing sequence more authentic-feeling, and a reduction in roll rate, it should be pretty spot-on as far as handling and performance.
    Last edited by DennyA; June 9th, 2021 at 11:15.

Going by the GAS Stearman I think it's the lever on the far right of this shot, it's attached to the rod that runs through both cockpits to the back wheel.
    Moving the lever up/down rotates the rod.
    http://rogerritter.com/images/aviati...S/File0018.jpg

Btw. What is good, the model looks very nice in VR. The scale of cockpit is very ok here. Really, the impression is very nice.
    Maybe the initial pilot view is too low but I use custom saved presets for views so everyone can set themselves the way they like.

Dean, Id like to add one wish - the stick in neutral position isnt on the center (to much too left). Red button on the top of stick should be on the 6 on this clock above.
    If you can add it to your list it would be fine , just a wish:

Btw. Dont rush Update can be when it will be ready, no problem.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Stearman v1.0.1 is live at Just Flight, notification e-mails should go out later today. Updates are as per previously mentioned here, mostly cosmetic and also correcting modeling errors and community observations.

Aerodynamics remain the same just for now. Watching John Mohr aerobatics in a stock PT-17 shows that the Stearman can indeed snap-roll very quickly for such an old aircraft, when in the right hands. Drag however is something I'd like to fix - we're looking at the best way of doing that without compromising the aircraft's nice aerobatic capabilities. This is a Stearman for everybody, so for instance while the real aircraft is actually quite demanding to loop, I want it to be a little easier in MSFS. For the same reason, it's not easy to ground-loop it as the brake scalar is low, to help newcomers who might otherwise become frustrated and not fly the airplane.

I loved the model , it 's perfect , congratulations for all the work , if one day I can put the engine cover on I would love it , because if there is a Stearman I like it 's The Flying Bulls

English is not my native language, I ask your indulgence.
    Correct me, if you will.

Aerodynamics remain the same just for now .../... This is a Stearman for everybody, so for instance while the real aircraft is actually quite demanding to loop, I want it to be a little easier in MSFS. For the same reason, it's not easy to ground-loop it as the brake scalar is low, to help newcomers who might otherwise become frustrated and not fly the airplane.
    I'm very grateful for that, please keep it that way (and once again, purists please forgive me).

BTW, I forgot to mention I love the default cockpit view (key F). Most MSFS aircraft tend to place the camera too low or too close to the panel, thus obstructing the outward view too much and forcing you to immediately zoom out. For me, that's just perfect in the Stearman

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Donadon View Post
    I loved the model , it 's perfect , congratulations for all the work , if one day I can put the engine cover on I would love it , because if there is a Stearman I like it 's The Flying Bulls
    A few folks have asked about that, it's noted for a future update - relatively easy to add, although the engine and sounds will remain the same, as it's not financially viable to add them to what is designed to be a low-cost airplane I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Stearman View Post
    I'm very grateful for that, please keep it that way (and once again, purists please forgive me).

BTW, I forgot to mention I love the default cockpit view (key F). Most MSFS aircraft tend to place the camera too low or too close to the panel, thus obstructing the outward view too much and forcing you to immediately zoom out. For me, that's just perfect in the Stearman
    Thanks!

I am hoping to add the engine interior detail as well, if time allows, to continue enhancing the detail levels. No date set for that work though, once the F-14s are released maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Dean, Id like to add one wish - the stick in neutral position isnt on the center (to much too left). Red button on the top of stick should be on the 6 on this clock above.
    If you can add it to your list it would be fine , just a wish:
    I'd noticed that and corrected it with the update - it's still a tiny bit out but not as much. Why it's doing that is a bit of a mystery at the moment, as the animation is correctly "zeroed" for the neutral position.

I'd noticed that and corrected it with the update - it's still a tiny bit out but not as much. Why it's doing that is a bit of a mystery at the moment, as the animation is correctly "zeroed" for the neutral position.
    Probably because there is still a lot of work ahead of MS and Asobo, therefore it is not worth removing P3D from the disk just yet (especially since it came out Today 5.2 update).
    Thank You Dean!

Got 1.0.1, nice
    Noted that the Data-case still says Database...

This period POH (same as linked on the FS forum Stearman topic) includes pictures of the tail-wheel-lock control and usage on pages 13-15.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/17cR...ew?usp=sharing

Got 1.0.1, nice
    Noted that the Data-case still says Database...

This period POH (same as linked on the FS forum Stearman topic) includes pictures of the tail-wheel-lock control and usage on pages 13-15.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/17cR...ew?usp=sharing
    Thanks for the link!

I changed the text of the decal to Data Case, and checked it here before replying - it's definitely data case on my Stearman. Minor issue though, as long as the main changes to modeling etc are working fine that's the main thing.

changed the text of the decal to Data Case, and checked it here before replying
    You've changed it in textures.common, but several of the liveries have their own STEARMAN_DECALS.PNG.DDS which still say Database and take precedence.
    Easy fix should be to delete the local files and regenerate the JSON but there are differences eg US Army stencils will appear ... no worries can wait until next patch

You've changed it in textures.common, but several of the liveries have their own STEARMAN_DECALS.PNG.DDS which still say Database and take precedence.
    Easy fix should be to delete the local files and regenerate the JSON but there are differences eg US Army stencils will appear ... no worries can wait until next patch
    Ahh, of course, I should have remembered! Will have it done this afternoon ready for the next update when it comes along

Yep, totally get that it's a Stearman for everyone, but making the drag more realistic will not only make core sim guys happy, it will also be a big help for casual fliers because it will make the plane easier to slow for landing.

That one improvement is pretty much my full wishlist right now.

Though I did have a thought regarding the roll rate and keeping the "airshow fun" while also presenting a more realistic flying experience for a Stearman without the extra aerobatic ailerons added: Have you seen what Wing42 has done with their Bleriot, where they tie in tweaked flight modeling via named liveries? So if it would be viable to tweak the roll rate and power without an enormous amount of additional work and testing, you could could add a "Tamed Stearman" livery option (even re-using a paintjob, just pointing to an updated flight config) that reduces the extra power and roll rate to more realistic levels for a stock plane. Just an idea...

But casuals and core alike would benefit from the drag. I keep running out of runway because it's hard to slow this puppy down. I tried adjusting drag_coef_zero_lift in the flight_model.cfg but I don't really have a deep enough understanding of the flight modeling to make a smart fix myself.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    But casuals and core alike would benefit from the drag. I keep running out of runway because it's hard to slow this puppy down. I tried adjusting drag_coef_zero_lift in the flight_model.cfg but I don't really have a deep enough understanding of the flight modeling to make a smart fix myself.
    I haven't really had a problem with slowing down to be honest, 70, 70, 70 knots for everything in the Stearman. When I am high and fast, a healthy boot of rudder to sideslip drops airspeed quite nicely.

You are right though, a little more drag wouldn't go amiss so it's on the list to be altered for the next update.

The risk is that when MS/Asobo fix the prop drag we will have too much drag...

The risk is that when MS/Asobo fix the prop drag we will have too much drag...
    That will affect all add on planes. I really like this sim, I ditched my P3D and am only flying MSFS, but I can't help thinking sometimes that we are glorified beta testers.

But DAMN it looks good!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

i like it

it is a nice Plane,and for this Price more than ok

miss only this paint,but i have it now..........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bbsa.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Yep, totally get that it's a Stearman for everyone, but making the drag more realistic will not only make core sim guys happy, it will also be a big help for casual fliers because it will make the plane easier to slow for landing.

That one improvement is pretty much my full wishlist right now.
    this will fix it
    https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...man/408225/123
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Members who have read this thread: 0