Ejection seat info needed

Thread: Ejection seat info needed

Ejection seat info needed

OK, so I contacted the A-7 Association President about this question. He, in turn, passed my question to someone else. It's been weeks, and no information yet. I contacted a guy I know that has a website on ejection seats, but same problem with him..... no help, after several weeks.

So maybe someone here knows someone who can provide the information I seek? I am trying to find out exactly when NAVAIR began the changeover from the ESCAPAC seat, involving retrofitting their A-7E Corsair IIs with the SJU-8 seat? I know for a fact it was not too many years before the end of their service. I was with VA-83 during their transition from SLUFS to LAWN Darts, and remember the seat change. I just don't know the date when the directive came down. NC

Hey Chief -

I think you might try getting hold of NAWC Pax PAO office for help. This must have been some type of service change for the community (can't remember what we called them in those days). Was the change done at depot level, AIMD or the squadron??

Anyway, PAO typically has a way of being a "PITA" in that they are charged with getting answers to public inquiry, and when they start trying to find an answer within their organization people know they have to try to help them.

Somewhere in the bowels of NAWC records for the old A-7 program office would be an answer I imagine. Some of those older GS engineers will likely try to help out the PAO.

Good luck --

Hey Pete,

This link may have tech info you seek.

Look at post #3 on this thread - hope this helps

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread....hlight=escapac

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Hey Pete,

Great writeup! I am surprised that it was done at the squadron level though. I would think some metal/plumbing/wiring mod would have to be done, but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Great writeup! I am surprised that it was done at the squadron level though. I would think some metal/plumbing/wiring mod would have to be done, but what do I know?
    Hi Mike,

I was with 83 when they did the retrofit, but I had just made CPO, and I was assigned as Line Div. Chief. So, although I wasn't involved with the work, I do remember there was some installation of, I believe, SMDC lines Shielded Mild Detonation Cord. Probably gas lines too, but not sure. Pete

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Hey Pete,

Thanks for that. It is a HUGE help!!!!! Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Hi Mike,

I was with 83 when they did the retrofit, but I had just made CPO, and I was assigned as Line Div. Chief. So, although I wasn't involved with the work, I do remember there was some installation of, I believe, SMDC lines Shielded Mild Detonation Cord. Probably gas lines too, but not sure. Pete

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that. It is a HUGE help!!!!! Pete

Glad it helped.

Members who have read this thread: 0