CFS2 Wingman Utility v3.00

Thread: CFS2 Wingman Utility v3.00

SOH-CM-2020

CFS2 Wingman Utility

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Utilities Add-ons

Description: This utility allows you to:

a) backup your pilot .log file before making any changes.

b) set the "wingmen_lost=" in the pilot .log file, thus avoiding having your pilot "retired" by CFS2 for the sin of losing too many wingmen.

c) edit the names and skills of each of the wingmen.

Works in Windows 10, may work in earlier windows versions.

Cheers,

SW

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS2 Wingman Utility
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Library Staff
    Excellent work Steve - thanks very much.

Overcoming the player being ridiculously sacked for losing too many wingmen is a great asset.

Kevin

Hi SW
    Thanks for this great utility.
    Very useful.
    Take Care
    Stuart

This will be a great help. Thank you.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

SOH-CM-2020

CFS2 Wingman Utility

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post

Overcoming the player being ridiculously sacked for losing too many wingmen is a great asset.
    Hi everyone, thanks for the positive feedback.

Criticism is also welcome!

As soon as I posted the files I realised I probably should have made it clearer that the utility can prevent your pilot being retired (due to losing too many wingmen), but it can't re-instate a retired pilot.

From memory, to re-instate a pilot you have to set the "wingmen_lost" to a low number (else you'll just be retired again!) but you also have to reset at least one other field, which I think might be the "next_node". You might have to change a couple of other fields, I just can't remember how I did it a few months back. I think it also gets complicated if you want to refly your last mission, or just move onto the next one.

So .. if anyone is willing to share a copy of their pilot log (where that pilot has been retired due to losing too many wingmen) I may be able to create a new utility or add the functionality to the Wingman Utility.

Cheers,

SW

SOH-CM-2020

CFS2 Wingman Utility

Hi all,

I have just found a bug in v2.00, the second section lead pilot has the wrong skill shown when the main window opens.

You can easily sort this out by making sure you give that wingman the desired skill when you run it.

In the meantime I'll fix it and post v2.1 as soon as I can,

cheers,

Steve

SOH-CM-2020

CFS2 Wingman Utility v2.10

Description: This utility:

a) Backs up your selected pilot log file before making any changes.

b) Allows you to set the "wingmen_lost=" in the pilot log file, thus avoiding having your pilot "retired" by CFS2 for the sin of losing too many wingmen.

c) Allows you to edit the names and skills of each of the wingmen.

IMPORTANT: This utility cannot re-instate your pilot if they have already been retired (that can be done manually).

IMPORTANT: The previous version (2.00) has a bug whereby the Second Section Lead Pilot displays the wrong skill for that wingman. If you haven't noticed that and corrected it on the main screen, it will then save the wrong skill. So if you have previously installed v2.00, replace it with this version 2.10 which corrects that fault.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS2 Wingman Utility v2.10

Question Problem with the CFS2 Wingman Utility?

I seem to be having a problem with CFS2 Wingman Utility v2.10. Attached is a screenshot of the problem, as well as the CFS2_Wingman_Utility.log file (renamed to "CFS2_Wingman_Utility_Log.txt" so I could attached it to this message post), as well as my current pilot log file (renamed to "RichNagel_Log.txt" so I could attach it).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CFS2_Wingman_Utility_v2.10.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	248.6 KB 
ID:	82328

CFS2_Wingman_Utility_Log.txt

RichNagel_Log.txt

SOH-CM-2020

Problem with the CFS2 Wingman Utility?

Quote Originally Posted by RichNagel View Post
    I seem to be having a problem with CFS2 Wingman Utility v2.10. Attached is a screenshot of the problem, as well as the CFS2_Wingman_Utility.log file (renamed to "CFS2_Wingman_Utility_Log.txt" so I could attached it to this message post), as well as my current pilot log file (renamed to "RichNagel_Log.txt" so I could attach it).
    Hi Rich,

I did see your post last night, but I'm away from home and was looking at it on my phone, didn't have my SOH password etc so I couldn't look at it properly until now. These are just excuses really, apologies for not responding sooner.

I can't test anything here either, but looking at it carefully I *think* the issue is caused by you having 2 blank lines at the end of your pilot.log file. During development it didn't seem to matter if there were no blank lines or 1 at the end, so I just assumed any trailing blank lines didn't matter - that now looks like a bad assumption. When I get home I'll test it, but I don't even know when I'll get home yet.

In the meantime, can I please ask you to try deleting one of those blank lines and trying the utility again, if that doesn't fix it try deleting both blank lines? If you'd be kind enough to post the results here that will be helpful.

Cheers,

Steve

Deleting one (or both) of the blank lines at the bottom of the log file did the trick, thanks

SOH-CM-2020

Problem with the CFS2 Wingman Utility?

Quote Originally Posted by RichNagel View Post
    Deleting one (or both) of the blank lines at the bottom of the log file did the trick, thanks
    Thanks Rich.

So if anyone else has this problem, the workaround is to remove any blank lines at the end of your pilot .log file.

When I can I'll produce the next version which will deal with this bug.

Cheers,

SW

SOH-CM-2020

CFS2 Wingman Utility v3.00

Description: Welcome to the CFS2_Wingman_Utility_v3.00.

This utility was inspired by, and is an alternative to, the CFS2_AI_Promoter by "Aviar" (Gabe Buzasi) and "PCH" (Paul Hauschildt). Thanks go to them for their great work. Their program can still be found at Sim Outhouse.

I found I couldn't get their AI_Promoter to work on Windows 10, so I created this utility.

If you:

1) don't care how CFS2 handles your wingmen's skills, you don't need CFS2_Wingman_Utility_v3.00.

2) do care how CFS2 handles your wingmen's skills but are happy to edit the relevant pilot .log file manually, you don't need CFS2_Wingman_Utility_v3.00.

3) do care how CFS2 handles your wingmen's skills but are able to use the AI_Promoter, you don't need CFS2_Wingman_Utility_v3.00.

Otherwise you might benefit from using CFS2_Wingman_Utility_v3.00.

Please read and accept the Conditions of Use found in the file CFS2_Wingman_Utility_v3.00_CoU before using this utility.

This utility:

a) Backs up your selected pilot log file before making any changes.

b) Allows you to set the "wingmen_lost=" in the pilot log file, thus avoiding having your pilot "retired" by CFS2 for the sin of losing too many wingmen.

c) Allows you to edit the names and skills of each of the wingmen.

IMPORTANT: This utility cannot re-instate your pilot if they have already been retired (that can be done manually).

IMPORTANT: If you have previously installed an earlier version, please replace it with this version.

This version fixes issues where the <pilot>.log file has extra lines.

Please see the CFS2_Wingman_Utility_v3.00_User_Guide for details of installing and using the utility.

This utility works on Windows 10, probably works on Windows 8.1, 8.0 and 7. It may not work on any earlier versions of Windows.

Cheers,

SW (Steve Whelan)
    June 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS2 Wingman Utility v3.00

Library Staff
    Thanks Steve - good work - I removed version 2 from the library.

Kevin

Thanks Steve , I do appreciate your refinements ,

Icon22 Reply...

SW,

Very nice refinements, thank you so much!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 1