P3DV4/5 Q400AT Project

Thread: P3DV4/5 Q400AT Project

P3DV4/5 Q400AT Project

A while back, I toyed with the idea of making a Bombardier Q400 air tanker. After gaining some more modeling knowledge I started out on building a tank for whatever model I may end up being able to potentially put it on. As luck would have it, yet again. George Arana contacted me with interest in also doing/assisting in creating the Q400AT if I ever decided to make one. He's been a tremendous help to me in the past with helping me getting the Hovercontrol 412s into P3D, the DC-10 VLATs, and the Bell 212s. The Q400AT, to my knowledge is based on the Q400MR so a platform was still a bit of an "iffy" thing. But Mr. Arana volunteered his FSX native conversion of the Dreamwings Q400. So, work began slowly on that. It's progressed up to a point where I've unshelved trying to work on it myself, as I've had a lot of time of late to work on projects. The project is deep into development at this point now. I'm unsure of yet if it will be FSX as well, I'll have to see, supporting that sim is becoming pretty hard to do. Especially since I don't own it. Luckily I've got some beta testing resources for that sim should I also attempt an FSX version. My focus is mainly on the later P3D platforms at this moment in time. So, incoming, another airtanker project out of me is inbound.

Tank Development January-May 2021
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400q.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	82983

Tank Fitment Testing March 2021

Name:	nose.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	82984

Name:	belly.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	82985

Name:	side.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	82986
    As of 5/31/2021

Name:	q400at.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	346.1 KB 
ID:	82987

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Between some of the repaint projects I'm working on currently, I've been just tweaking small stuff on the Q400. Moved the VC and eye point locations up higher, felt it was much too low to the ground compared to the external model. Landing it you feel like your face is right down on the runway. The Q400 is low to the ground, but I don't think it's as low as the position makes it out to be. So, as I said, I adjusted that. Looking at some flight dynamics tweaks maybe in some of the other updates I'll do to it. But the aircraft itself is a fantastic base. I'll likely do a few liveries for it as well once the project progresses further. Conair is the primary operator, since they are the creators of the tanker variant, but it serves in Australia (on contract), Canada, and the US in the Conair / Aeroflite colors. In France, to my knowledge they have different liveries. But more research will have to see what other countries have them and what their aircraft look like.

Name:	q400s.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	383.4 KB 
ID:	83027

I have started making changes to the aircraft.cfg file to transform it into an airtanker. I'm working on the Q400 in between a repaint project ahead of it to break up looking at the same templates for hours on end. Started a repaint for Securite Civile. Right now I'll likely plan on doing 3 liveries for it. 2 in Conair colors and Securite Civile. The 2 Conair liveries will likely be the Australian contract markings and the other will be the one leased by the State of Alaska. Hopefully, once I go full bore on this project it will be a quick turnaround to get this out. Still up in the air on whether or not it will just be for P3D or not. But I'm leaning towards that. I'll have to do a short beta test with people that FSX to see if it's even viable to support a separate FSX version, as my attempts to revert it back to FSX native were unsuccessful in it appearing in P3D properly.

Name:	q400SC.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	83136

Progress has been good in terms of liveries. I have finalized liveries. T-141 for NSW RFS contract, T-540 for state of Alaska contract, and T-76 with Securite Civile of France. I'm decently through doing T-141 and T-76 (Seen below) I haven't messed with the flight envelope much at all yet, except for some preliminary tweaking I did a few weeks ago. Will delve into that soon hopefully. Mainly focusing on doing the liveries for the time being due to available time.

Name:	400mr.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	83258

Not many updates at all here, but I'm gearing up for what I'm calling "Summer Insanity" and will be releasing a number of things over the next few weeks/months. The Q400s will be at the initial phase of the insanity. I'm expecting them to be done completely in early July. Still finishing up some texture adjustments and flight dynamics. I have finalized the 3 liveries that will accompany the project. T-76 for Securite Civile (France), T-141 Conair / Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (Australia), and T-540 Conair / Alaska Division of Forestry (USA). T-540 is devoid of any markings for use in the US and will double as Canadian platform. The Conair liveries all exist with their Canadian reg numbers too. There honestly probably wont be much else in terms of updates for these until release comes. Will likely advise when release is imminent and finally once it's released.

Name:	q400at.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	260.5 KB 
ID:	83434

Love it. Just downloaded this package, DC-10 VLAT, and the L-188 tanker the other day. I just installed P3DV5 very recently (still have P3DV4 installed for most my flying though) but thought I would try these out in P3DV5, and I also just installed the Majestic Q400, so I'm interested to see if I can make the VC work with this Q400 tanker package. Thanks for all your work Scorch00, much appreciated!
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Members who have read this thread: 0