France Landmarks

Thread: France Landmarks

Library Staff

France Landmarks

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Scenery - Library objects

Description: This is a collection of FSX/FS2004/CFS landmarks for France converted into CFS2 mainly non-destructible GSL objects.

The objects comprise of:

Paris - Arc De Triomphe, Ecole Militaire, Eiffel Tower, Grand Palais, Madeleine, Opera, Orsay, Pantheon, Place d'Etoile, Sacre Coeur Basilica, Sorbonne and Trocadero;

Marseille - Cathedrale de la Major, Chateau d'If, Eglise de Reformes, Fort St-Jean, Fort St-Nicolas, Notre Dame de la Garde, Palais Longchamp and Eglise St-Laurent;

Monaco - Cathedral, Hotel de Paris, Ocean Museum and Palais Princier;

Nice - Eglise Russe, Fort Mont Boron, Lighthouse and Negresco Hotel;

Chartres Cathedral;

Lyon Notre Dame de Fourviere;

Mont-St-Michel;

St-Mere-Eglise.

Special thanks go to:

Robert John for his excellent semi-destructible rendition of the Eiffel Tower based on the FS2004 model;

Toni Agramont for his authentic FS2004 reproduction of Saint-Mere-Eglise;

Allen for the rebuilding and conversion of the FSX Monte Carlo Hotel de Paris to a generic destructible object.

Kevin Driver

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit France_Landmarks.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Library Staff
    Some more screenshots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chartres.jpg   Lyon.jpg   Marseille 1.jpg   Marseille 2.jpg   Marseille 3.jpg   Marseille 4.jpg  

Nice.jpg   Paris 1.jpg   Paris 2.jpg   Versailles.jpg  

Super!

Just got them and will install today. Very nice eye candy. Many thanks, KD.

Excellent work! I gotta get these.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Fantastic stuff!

Many thanks for these, and the efforts of all.

Cheers

Shessi

Will these work in other sims like FS9 or FSX?

Many thanks Kevin, nice "tour de France"

Cheers
    Martin

Nice work by all, & well done Kevin for methodically trawling through the FS2004/FSX worlds to find these landmarks to increase the immersion factor - much appreciated.

Library Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Will these work in other sims like FS9 or FSX?
    Hi Fsafranek,

Nearly all of them are already there in FSX and FS2004 as macro type scenery. CFS2 uses both that type of scenery as well as Global Scenery Layer (GSL) scenery which is more frame rate friendly. These objects are now GSL which will not work in the civil flight sims.

FSX has nearly all the objects in this package, some of which have not been updated since FS2000 and CFS1. I didn't convert those ones, e.g. Notre Dame in Paris. I also found the FSX version of the Eiffel Tower looked far inferior to the CFS1 version after converting the DDS style textures to BMP. The tower looked almost transparent with very delicate looking girders.

CFS2 doesn't have auto-generated scenery, so the rest of Paris, for instance, really needs to be filled in with other buildings - to be continued at some stage.

Cheers,
    KD

Library Staff
    Thanks chaps for all your kind words.

The next project on the list is to finish consolidating AFD BGLs (at least in the ETO/MTO) into single country AFD BGLs so that all available airfields are accessible in free flight.

After that some more British aerodromes and landmarks - any favourites or preferences?

Cheers,
    Kevin

Icon5

Kevin,

''After that some more British aerodromes and landmarks - any favourites or preferences?''

Well as you asked...how about some Cathederals/major bridges down in the South West of the UK, and South Wales ie Exeter (cathederal), Bristol (cathederal and Clifton suspension bridge), Bath (cathederal), Plymouth (Tamar bridge, Cathederal, The Hoe), Cardiff (docks and castle and cathederal), Swansea (docks, if Rami didn't do it), maybe including Gloucester Docks (which I don't think Rami's docks and ports covered), all targetted early in the war, the Blitz and Baedeker Raids.

Airfields....Exeter, Middle Wallop, Zeals, Dunkerswell, St Davids and some good flying boat stations ie Hamworthy and a new Mount Batten (Plymouth again).

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Hi Fsafranek,

Nearly all of them are already there in FSX and FS2004 as macro type scenery. CFS2 uses both that type of scenery as well as Global Scenery Layer (GSL) scenery which is more frame rate friendly. These objects are now GSL which will not work in the civil flight sims.

FSX has nearly all the objects in this package, some of which have not been updated since FS2000 and CFS1. I didn't convert those ones, e.g. Notre Dame in Paris. I also found the FSX version of the Eiffel Tower looked far inferior to the CFS1 version after converting the DDS style textures to BMP. The tower looked almost transparent with very delicate looking girders.

CFS2 doesn't have auto-generated scenery, so the rest of Paris, for instance, really needs to be filled in with other buildings - to be continued at some stage.

Cheers,
    KD
    Thanks for the reply. I probably already have them in that case. Mainly trolling for new stuff to mention on my Mirage website. Cheers!

Hi Kevin
    Noice!!!
    Cheers
    Stuart

Library Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Kevin,

''After that some more British aerodromes and landmarks - any favourites or preferences?''

Well as you asked...how about some Cathederals/major bridges down in the South West of the UK, and South Wales ie Exeter (cathederal), Bristol (cathederal and Clifton suspension bridge), Bath (cathederal), Plymouth (Tamar bridge, Cathederal, The Hoe), Cardiff (docks and castle and cathederal), Swansea (docks, if Rami didn't do it), maybe including Gloucester Docks (which I don't think Rami's docks and ports covered), all targetted early in the war, the Blitz and Baedeker Raids.

Airfields....Exeter, Middle Wallop, Zeals, Dunkerswell, St Davids and some good flying boat stations ie Hamworthy and a new Mount Batten (Plymouth again).

Cheers

Shessi
    Hi Shessi,

Most of the cathedrals can be found on the last page of the CFS2 Scenery section - British_Cathedrals_&_Windsor_Castle.zip by Merlin2 (William Renwick).

Brunel's Clifton and Royal Albert Bridges by Nick Ryall are found in the AVSIM FS2002 Scenery section. They fit fairly well into the CFS2 mesh.

Also by Nick Ryall in the same section are these southwest lighthouses: Longships, Wolf Rock, Bishop Rock, Eddystone, Needles, Lizard, Pendeen, Trevose Head & Hartland Point.

Middle Wallop was built by Gary Burns for his Battle of Britain airfields package found in the CFS2 Scenery section.

I have made a start on improving Mount Batten and Plymouth Harbour. Predannack is also on the list. In the mean time there are the Steve McClelland versions of Predannack, Exeter and Dunkeswell found in his CFSII Europe Release 2 United Kingdom at Simviation, I think. These are all the British FS2000 airfields adapted for CFS2. They vary in accuracy and the building models are dated, but they do for the time being.

I was thinking of making Eastchurch, Hendon and Hunsdon. I'll put Hamworthy flying boat base on the list as well.

Cheers
    Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clifton Bridge.jpg   Predannack.jpg  

Just saw this thread. Great work Kevin. Many thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0