New FlightSim Hardware?!

Thread: New FlightSim Hardware?!

New FlightSim Hardware?!

I just replaced my Thrustmaster Cougar base with a Virpil base + stick extension (and loving it) and was browsing the web a bit for other peripherals when I encountered a forum thread and subsequently this guy's website: https://www.replikagear.com/
    OMG!!

The best thing is, he is aiming for a price level that is waaay lower than Virpil or VKB, so it might even be affordable for even very modest earners (like me). For all you lovers of the Real Systems Spitfire (and who isn't?), there's even going to be a British spade-style grip! But the best thing, of course, is all the stuff he's doing for the P-47!! (Thought the P-38 grip and throttle quadrant are very close - My P-47 model was intended as a excercise for the P-38...).
    In this Il2 thread https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...-replika-gear/ there are some good video's of what his stuff does. Especially pay close attention to the stiffness of the flightstick, the hats & buttons and the tactile P-47 tailwheel lock lever; interesting! I am gonna keep a close eye on this company's website!

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

You are correct! Wouldn't mind a twin or 4 engine throttle set for NJ and BC aircraft either!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Yep, that's pretty much the only possible reaction to this. Holy smokes those look good! I'm going to start setting bits aside here and there now and will be following this closely.

wow!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

If you don't want to browse through the IL2-thread, here's his YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJy...2uvRvzQ/videos

Well, I said I would keep a close eye on the ReplikaGear website and I did; browsing a bit through the comments on his YouTube channel, I encountered something called "AuthentiKit". Never heard of that before either, so I went looking for it. It turns out to be a guy providing 3D-printed flight sim controllers that are even better for people on a tight budget: All plans are free! As a DIY project, you only need to buy some hardware like PCBs, sensors and cabling (available as a kit) and then print your own parts or find someone who will do that for you. The rest is a matter of assembling (no soldering required) and hooking up to your PC. He claims that if you can assembly an IKEA wardrobe, you can put together your own controller.

I watched some videos and it does seem like something even I could do. The printed parts sound a bit like plastic of the cheaper variety but, according to a review I watched, are sturdy enough to withstand some fair abuse. Some solutions seem a bit low-tech, like a piece of bungee cord that acts as a spring for a brake lever, but they work and are easy to mend if broken. The satisfaction factor is greatly enhanced knowing that you've build your own controller!

And again for those lovers of the Spit: The first plans are for a spade stick, throttle quadrant and trim wheel for the Spit MkI and MkIX!

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC...W6cxA6Z0sBTWxQ

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Awesome ! Great news for us on a limited budget . Now to just find a 3D printer available ... Regards,Scott

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    ... Now to just find a 3D printer available ...
    From what I understand from that website and videos they are not that expensive anymore (don't know about the printing filament) but there also seems to be an active community with people printing parts for others - at a price of course. Apparently there are also commercial 3D print services that can print parts.

Blog Entries
    Worth a look even if i had to go Houston,Tx,(3hrs away),it would be still be a worthwhile deal when you look at the cost of some of the flight sim equipment ! Thanks for the heads up ! Regards,Scott

Before you start your car: Perhaps you better see if you can contact such a company over the web and have them send the printed parts to you (or collect them when they're done); it may not be like a copy shop where you can wait for your photocopies. I have found a very neat 3D-printed replica of a P-51 rudder pedal for my MFG Crosswind. Apparently it takes 27 hours to print...

Blog Entries
    Cool,will do some internet surfing and something will come up.

As this thread seems to focus on flight sim hardware discoveries (I never found this many in such short time), this post is about another pheripheral but it comes with a tale:

The streak of general bad luck I had these past two/three months wasn't over yet: I finally managed to break my TrackIR ProClip. I have had it for years and it always seemed a bit cheapish and wobbly but so far it had dodged destruction until a couple of weeks ago, when I dropped my headset. So I went looking for a replacement and came across something called 'Delan Clip' which is a metal variant of the NaturalPoint clip. The price seemed reasonable for a metal version, looked sturdy enough and the reviews were generally positive. I ordered one and then the fun began. This is what I emailed the people at Delan Engineering:

"...
    I would have loved to let you know that I am thoroughly enjoying your product but I am afraid that the events concerning the delivery would make a great start for an absurdist sketch. Allow me to explain:
    On Saturday a postal worker was at my door holding my order from Delan Engineering in his hands. He apologized extensively that he wasn't allowed to hand it over because of the duties owed and that it wasn't possible to pay
    in situ. The parcel would be delivered to the nearest pick-up point where I would receive my parcel upon paying the indebted tax. Nothing new, I had expected this, so I thanked him (he is a nice guy) and closed the door.

On Monday, I went to the pick-up point with the notification given to me by the delivery man. Unfortunately the package hadn't arrived yet. Not worried yet as it was a bit early in the day, I returned on Tuesday late afternoon but again, they couldn't find my parcel. On returning home, I found no less than two postcards in my mailbox (addressed to me!) alerting me that a parcel was waiting for me at the pick-up point I had just visited and that I owed [X] in duties. The postcards were dated Sunday (really?) and Monday.

On Wednesday I tried again but alas, there was no parcel to be found. Once home I examined the two postcards a bit closer and noticed a different Track & Trace code near the bottom. On entering this on postal services' website it turned out to be a 'return-to-sender' code. The reason given was "invalid address"...

After thinking this over for a day, I contacted the postal services through their chat-function on Friday. In short, the reaction of the 'service' representative was 'Yes, the parcel is on its way back to the sender. It can't be stopped. Goodbye'. No apology or admission of any wrongdoing whatsoever.

I wish I could have taken this all in with British phlegm but I am afraid my thoughts at the time were more in spirit of a Hollywood revenge action film. But rather than blowing up their head office or giving them slow, torturous deaths, I posted a complaint on a public website for the first time in my life. Noticing the number of complaints about the postal services that day alone however, didn't give me much hope. It also turned out that our Law on Postal Services exempts them from any liability. As receiver I am not even a party in this, it seems. Only the sender can submit a complaint, according to the postal services' website.

Needless to say, I did not rate my experience with their service very highly in the survey they had the nerve of sending me later the same day...

"

After receiving this email, Delan Engineering didn't wait for my order to be returned to them but sent a new clip right away, using a different carrier and paid the duties upfront so there would be no hassle at the door (I paid the duty invoice to Delan directly). This clip arrived with a delay (it was stuck at the carrier's hub for 6 days) but it is everything they advertised. IMHO excellent customer service!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPQ...s799yL9H1OH6Zw

That's good to hear, Joost!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I visted the Authentikit site to see what's new and it seems the community has expanded: There appear to be more people designing cockpit parts! I've seen new controls for the Mossie and the P-51: I spent my friday evening watching a 60min YouTube instruction video of the designer assembling the P-51 left hand pedestal with the trim controls, flaps and landing gear levers. Being used to metal peripherals it all seems a bit plasticcy to me but it's amazing what they are doing. I am somewhat tempted...

Two items I would not want to withhold from you: The Spit's landing gear control box with a very cleverly designed indicator that really shows Idle, Up or Down in the little window and the Mk.II gunsight. That last part is about functional wingspan and range wheels! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn59yDjzO1s. If only I had the time and the money...

Wow! Any idea what sim they were using?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Wow, that's impressive! How does the gear lever get the information to know when to change the indicator window? It would seem it would need to be pulling data from the sim somehow.

Guess this means my Mk.II gunsight adjustment code needs to be modified to allow the setting to be made by an axis, eh?

One day I'm tempted to try to build a Spitfire style stick with the aileron axis being halfway up the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    Wow! Any idea what sim they were using?
    From what I have seen in various videos it's mostly MSFS, DCS or IL2

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Wow, that's impressive! How does the gear lever get the information to know when to change the indicator window? It would seem it would need to be pulling data from the sim somehow.

Guess this means my Mk.II gunsight adjustment code needs to be modified to allow the setting to be made by an axis, eh?

One day I'm tempted to try to build a Spitfire style stick with the aileron axis being halfway up the stick.
    - With respect to the actual sim system status, it is a bit of a cheat: it doesn't react to the sim, but it is moved by the lever. Watch this video from ca. 27min https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKjsPWMYclM. Still, I find it an impressive bit of DIY engineering!

- Not sure: The old TM Cougar software made it possible to divide an axis into 'bands' (% of travel) and to tie a button press to each band.

- His Spit style stick hinges at the proper locations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HavW5-irh6I... Like one of the commenters said, I am tempted to build one just for the sake of building (and seeing that it functions).

I am not one of those persons who likes watching videos of people folding napkins or play with crinkly plastic wrapping etc. but I somehow do enjoy this guy demonstrating the building of his controls. There is something satisfying about creating things. One a side note, but related; when reinstalling my PC I also found a file for the Lego Digital Designer program. I've never done anything with it and installed it mostly to see what is was about, but on a whim I decided to recreate the old Lego sets I had as a kid in the program after searching the web for the instructions. Apart from the childhood memories it brought back, it was something of an equal experience. It's totally useless but oddly satisfying to build stuff - whether it is in real life or on a computer.

Members who have read this thread: 1