For those who want them - early Spitfire MkI repaints

Thread: For those who want them - early Spitfire MkI repaints

For those who want them - early Spitfire MkI repaints

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Military skins - World War II

Description: This package contains the repaint depicting the Spitfire Mk.I no K9797. K9797 was the 11th production Spitfire, and was delivered to 19 Squadron, RAF Duxford on 7 October 1938. It was written off after a crash landing caused by an engine failure. The pilot, Sgt Pilot George Unwin eventually rose through the ranks to become Wing Commander George Cecil Unwin DSO, DFM & Bar (18 January 1913–28 June 2006).

To use this repaint you should have a legal copy from the early Aeroplane Heaven/JustFlight Spitfire Mk.I installed in FS2004

Enjoy,
    Huub
    May 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit early Spitfire Mk.I K9797 19 squadron
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

early Spitfire Mk.I K9811 19 Squadron 1938

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Military skins - World War II

Description: This package contains a repaint depicting the Spitfire Mk.I no K9811, with squadron code WZ-S. As it was flown by 19 Squadron RAF in October 1938. After the Munich crisis the RAF prepared for war. The yellow around the roundels was removed and the three coloured roundels on wings and fuselage were replace by a less visible red/blue version. The registration numbers were removed, most likely to to hide the number of available aircraft for the enemy. This livery shows the aircraft in the transition period, before the night/day under surfaces were introduced. This aircraft was written off on the 24 January 1940 after an emergency landing, after the pilot got lost and ran out of fuel.

To use this repaint you should have a legal copy from the early Aeroplane Heaven/JustFlight Spitfire Mk.I installed in FS2004

Enjoy,
    Huub
    May 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit early Spitfire Mk.I K9811 19 Squadron 1938

early Spitfire Mk.I K9794 19 Squadron November 1938

Description: This package contains the repaint depicting the Spitfire Mk.I no K9794, with registration WZ-T. As flown by 19 Squadron RAF autumn 1938. The aircraft was known to be frequently flown by the Commanding Officer of 19 Squadron, Squadron Leader H.I. Cozens. The aircraft had the standard back & white night/day undersurfaces, while the ailerons and elevators are left aluminium dope. The reason for this is unclear to me. Some sources say this was done becasue the paint instructions were misunderstood, while other sources say was done because of fear the extra weight of the paint on the moving surfaces would cause an imbalance.

To use this repaint you should have a legal copy from the early Aeroplane Heaven/JustFlight Spitfire Mk.I installed in FS2004.

Enjoy,
    Huub
    May 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit early Spitfire Mk.I K9794 19 Squadron November 1938

early Spitfire Mk.I K9843 54 Squadron March 1939

Description: This package contains a repaint depicting the Spitfire Mk.I no K9843 from 54 squadron, which received its first Spitfire in March 1939. The aircraft has the standard day-night under surfaces. 54 squadron used the squadron code DL- until September 1939, after it was replaced by KL-. This aircraft was converted into a Mk.Ia and flew with the RAF until summer 1942.

To use this repaint you should have a legal copy from the early Aeroplane Heaven/JustFLight Spitfire Mk.I installed in FS2004

Enjoy.
    Huub
    May 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit early Spitfire Mk.I K9843 54 Squadron March 1939

For those who want them

For those who, like me can't say goodbye to the 16 year old Aeroplane heaven/Just Flight early Spitfire I have uploaded 4 repaints. I mainly did them for myself as I thought the original textures didn't do justice to the quite nice model.

Due to the texture layout it was quite a challenge to do these textures, but I hope you will enjoy them.

Cheers,
    Huub

Early 19 Squadron, August 1938

19 Squadron Transition scheme October 1938

19 Squadron standard pre-war scheme with aluminium dope control surfaces, November/December 1938

54 squadron standard pre-war livery March 1939

Nice Huub;
    Thanks

I have another yellow peril in the works myself

Ttfn

Pete

I hope you like them Pete. And thanks for the goodies which came with your last repaint.

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub,
    please can you confirm that the base model to which you refer is in the multi-Spitfire version pack with both Merlin and Griffon engines that was available both as a download and on a disc - I like to be pedantic and thorough about labelling your files when I download them,
    thanks,
    Ro

The package this Spitfire comes from is the "Early Spitfire pack" released by Aeroplane Heaven in May 2005. This package was part of 3. You had this package, the "mid-war Spitfires" and the "Griffon Spitfires". These packages were also sold by JustFlight under their own name. These CD's contained also CFS2 and CFS3 versions from this model.

As I don't own the packages sold by JustFlight I can't tell you exactly what is different. One thing I noticed when I downloaded a repaint by Paul "Bradburger" Bradford, is the the folder names are different instead of the the prefix AH_, JustFlight used their own prefix JF_, for the rest I didn't notice anything different. (As sound was aliased to a JF_ version, I had no sound when using this repaint).

As a bonus Aeroplane Heaven released a "Smittfire" and a Mk.Vb floater version and a slightly different version of the T.IX two seater as freeware. But as they all showed similarities, I expect they were all developed from the same model.

These separate packages are not available anymore, but I think JustFlight has repacked these models and did put them on a single CD/DVD.

When I look at the models in the screenshots and text below, which can be found at the JustFlight site, these are still the models developed in 2005.

"Officially licensed by the Royal Air Force and developed by Aeroplane Heaven, this is the definitive Spitfire expansion - 39 aircraft that span 14 different marks of Supermarine’s legendary fighter, including the famous prototype.
    All models are compatible with FS2004 and FS2002; five variants run with CFS3 and two with CFS2."

My textures are free, so it is up to you whether you want to give them a try.

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub,
    really appreciate that update. I have so many different Spitfires (and Hurricanes) from both JF and AH that I obtained starting way back in 2004. I already took copies of your latest repaints and will try to match them to the files that I do have on disc or in downloads, but it does look as if I only actually bought the "mid-war" package - I know that I had planned on also buying the Griffon package, but it seems that I never got as far as doing that.

Many thanks again, especially for your work for FS9/ACOF,
    regs,
    Ro

Weeeeell....if you insist....

Ha!..too damn right I want them! They are excellent, as said before, love the yellow roundel version, all much better then the JF texs.

Many thanks Huub.

Cheers

Shessi

New clothes for the emperor

Huub,

Many thanks for yet another of your injections into ageing ladies. The RAF have always been very conservative with the paint they put on aircraft and the overall result is a dull uniformity that can never seem so engaging or attractive as the German or American schemes.

I installed the Just Flight disc of Spitfires over a decade and a half ago (the files have been transferred through four computers . I have enjoyed flying them, but have, like you, felt that they just lacked that little bit extra to bring them to life. You have done that extremely well. The subtle touch making the overall matt paint job have just that little gleam and shine to show that it is metal and not wood or canvas. I also appreciate your research on the Sergeant Pilot who ended his war alive and as a well decorated Wing Commander. Truly one of the last of 'The Few'. The Mk XIV produced by Realair flies like a dream but is a tad dull to look at on the pan, perhaps . . . . .

Thanks again for your research and the standard of your paints.

Mal

Icon5

''.....Many thanks for yet another of your injections into ageing ladies.....''

?? Has Huub been giving COVID vaccinations to the elderly then??......ahhh Dr Vink, I presume...

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    ''.....Many thanks for yet another of your injections into ageing ladies.....''

?? Has Huub been giving COVID vaccinations to the elderly then??......ahhh Dr Vink, I presume...

Shessi

Cees

Cool

Thx Huub

Top Notch stuff as usual!!!

Cheers mav

Unpainted Spitfire ailerons

"while other sources say was done because of fear the extra weight of the paint on the moving surfaces would cause an imbalance."

You hit the nail squarely on the head there Huub.

Control surfaces are balanced after painting.
    The silver ailerons on those early Spits had already been balanced after painting them in silver dope.

(don't forget the control surfaces on these early Mk.1's were fabric covered)

To repaint them in the black/white scheme would have meant removal and re-balancing,thus rendering the aircraft
    u/s.

Superb re-paints there mate,they look top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggers View Post
    "while other sources say was done because of fear the extra weight of the paint on the moving surfaces would cause an imbalance."

You hit the nail squarely on the head there Huub.

Control surfaces are balanced after painting.
    The silver ailerons on those early Spits had already been balanced after painting them in silver dope.

(don't forget the control surfaces on these early Mk.1's were fabric covered)

To repaint them in the black/white scheme would have meant removal and re-balancing,thus rendering the aircraft
    u/s.
    In the grand scheme of things rebalancing doesn't take that long, just done a set of elevators myself ( for a commercial airliner that has cable driven elevators)

While admittedly it would mean the aeroplane is out of service for a short time, with the manpower available to RAF at that time, it would be reasonable to expect the erks could have done a few tails at a time.

Ttfn

Pete

Thank you Huub for these wonderful Spitfire repaints.
    It always amazes me how an old model can be resurrected by a good paint scheme.

By the way there is a fully functional demo of a Spitfire Mk1A available at Justflight.

And your repaints can be used on this demo model with only a little bit of rework.
    Hartwig
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Members who have read this thread: 0