Malta-42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malta-42

messing with Malta

this has been an on/off project for many month's and ive ran into a few snags, the airfields are mostly done but im curious as to what Malta enhancements you guys are using, im guessing everyone use's a good mesh, Malta is poorly served by FS9 so a good mesh is essential, but it means the airfields dont quite fit, and i have a problem getting rid of Luqa Intl airport, which even a post at FS Developer yealded no help. On a positive note, im using a good coast/LC package by Nick Forsyth, found at Flightsim. Ive tryed a few and this works best for me, you might want to give it a go unless you know anything better.

Aerosoft/Sim-Wings Islands of Malta; I remember reading about many who use Daniel Chircop's Malta Intl (still available on simmarket) in conjunction with Aerosoft's Islands of Malta (no longer available from aerosoft, but can always check second-hand shops for the boxed copy)...

Thanks Wolfbee, but i'd like to keep it freeware if i can so everyone can enjoy, but i'll check it out anyway

To provide some inspration.... Malta seen in MSFS

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks Huub, thats just what i need . That is actually my long term plan, ive moved back to FS9 for enjoyment, to satisfy my need for tinkering with scenery and my interest in mostly WW2 era aircraft, but in a year or so, i want to upgrade my PC, and indulge in 2020, leap-frogging all the sims in between

Ian,

Great graphics are nice, but I'm afraid you get used to them soon and than you start to miss the tinkering with a nice sim which allows you to tinker with.

I have tried Rise of Flight and Cliffs of Dover (and the Blitz version). Stunning graphics, but you can only fly and watch the scenery. After a few days I realised I wouldn't survive a single day in a WWI aircraft. I even didn't need an enemy, because it didn't take me any effort to kill myself in a virtual plane. The same with Cliffs of Dover. After 5 missions you have more or less seen it all. And it doesn't matter which side I chose as the other side was always better in my case.

I have watched many MSFS movies on YouTube. I have seen my country from above and all the places where I did spend my holidays. Great images, but after you have landed 5 times on your favourite Manston, you will get bored.

So my advice is; "Just stay tinkering!" As it will keep you happy much longer than great graphics do.

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub,
    I understand and agree completely with you - I will be staying with FS9, FSX, P3Dv3, P3Dv4 and X-Plane 11 indefinitely,
    thanks for your kindly comment,
    Ro

Library Staff
    Hi Ian,

It might be worth trying Bruno “Brunosk” Escaravage's CFS2 version of Malta found here in the CFS2 scenery section. It includes a detailed coastline, land class and mesh, as well as the WW2 aerodromes.
    The beautiful GSL scenery won't work of course, but if you like tinkering, it could be converted to macro format.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Thanks Kevin, Ive had a go with Bruno's coast bgl's, but i think they only work with CFS2 coast mask's, they work to a fashion but leave's the FS9 coast's underneath, so some serious exclude work is needed and digging around in the bowels of FS9, trying to find what bgls controls what geographic region and i dont really want to go down that rabbit hole, so i'll stick with Nicks for the moment. Its not quite as detailed, but it works.
    Most of the objects on the other hand work really well, so im going to play with them

Early morning patrol waiting for your Malta

Cheers,
    Huub

Library Staff
    Ian, I'm glad you can use the objects - this one is particularly nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Malta3.jpg  

Finally putting some hours in, still lots to do but im getting there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A.jpg  

Looks promising Ian

Cheers,
    Huub

Malt 1942 for FS9

Five wartime airfields of Malta including Luqa, Hal Far, Ta'Qail, Safi and the seaplane base of Kalafarana,
    which has a water start for flying boat fans.
    Improved Landclass and reworked coastline around the south east corner of the island

Probably the most important feature of this scenery is utilising the wonderful CFS2 Malta objects by Bruno “Brunosk” Escaravage. “Brunosk” seems to have retired from the sim community a long time ago, but i remember having communications with him when i was first dabbling with scenery years ago, he was very helpful and generous and is probably partly responsable for all the stuff ive pumped out since :-)
    Ive had this in one form or another on my HD for years, not sure weather i should upload anywhere, after a number of attempts to contact, gaining advice from fellow simmer's and checking his read-me's for any condition's, there seems to be none other than "enjoy my stuff :-)" Ive decided to upload with full credit to “Brunosk” for all objects used

This scenery is best with some kind of mesh, im sure you guy's have your favorite's. Im using Rhumbaflappy's CFS2 LOD8, which works fine in FS9, but ive also tested with a few other's and all seems good.
    I would also recommend setting your Autogen to Very Sparse as im getting a lot of inappropriate trees and buildings poping up everywhere

The coastline could probably be done better by someone with a greater understanding of Land and Water Class and knows their way around SBuilder9, a programe i dont particully enjoy using. As my main goal was to cut into the area around Grand Harbour to fit Brunosk's objects and a bit of tweaking here and there, im happy with the end result even if other's may not be :-)

You should have the following already installed----
    RAF Manston 44 FS9.zip
    RAF Pembroke Dock FS9.zip
    Ted Andrews RAF building library.zip
    Wofi Library Objects.zip (converted to FS9 by Desert Rat)
    FS2004 Vintage Military Buildings SS, by Sidney Schwartz, found at Flightsim, look for "vintmlss.zip"

A big thanks to stuart277 and Groundcrew for allowing me to plunder their CFS2 WW2 Ships
    and Edmundo Abad for the verhicle's and before you ask, sorry, but HMS Illustrious is not landerble
    Static Spitfire by Alphasim and thanks to Shessi for the flying boat library

Ive had to ajust the altitude of some of the airfield's, you'll find a zip "Alt-BGLS" within your Malta download, these need to be unzipped into your install Scenery/World/scenery folder

i might do a post war version, but dont ask me for an FSX version

enjoy, ian 20/11/21
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m8.jpg   m7.jpg   m6.jpg   m5.jpg   m4.jpg   m3.jpg  

m2.jpg   m1.jpg  

Superb Ian!

You've done a fantastic job, so detailed, interesting, historical, accurate...

Many thanks.

Cheers

Shessi

Thanks Shessi, dont forget to ditch the old version before installing this

Malta-42

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Scenery

Description: Island of Malta 1942 for FS9

Five wartime airfields of Malta including Luqa, Hal Far, Ta'Qail, Safi and the seaplane base of Kalafarana,
    which has a water start for flying boat fans.
    Improved Landclass and reworked coastline around the south east corner of the island

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Malta-42
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Library Staff
    Well done Ian - a great job - thanks very much!

Kevin

Oh man! This is GREAT! Many thanks Ian.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Folks,
    Please spend the time to fly, sail or drive around the whole island, there is so much to see and enjoy!

Cheers

Shessi

Thanks Ian! I haven't had time to install it yet, but I already know it will be great.

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks Ian!

The screenies look great. I look forward to seeing it in the sim.

Images from Malta............. Thanks Ian

Cheers,
    Huub

Not that many reactions for such an impressive piece of scenery! Well just to let you know that I'm enjoying it. Although I still haven't found the girl from post #11

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks Huub, appreciate that , im old and ugly enough to not expect to much reaction these day's, i do most of this to please myself, and if a few others like it, then thats a bonus. Currently playing around with a 50's 60's version for your cold war-jet install

Members who have read this thread: 1