Trees in the runway

Thread: Trees in the runway

SOH-CM-2023

Trees in the runway

Hi All,

Trying to update the scenery around vancouver and I installed Victoria Intl (CYYJ_704.zip) and I have the dreaded trees in the runway. I tried adding an exclude statement "Exclude=N48 39.09,W123 26.65,N48 36.71,W123 24.84,objects" to the scenery.cfg entry for the scenery, but that took all the cool runways and such. If I turn down the autogen level the trees will disappear, but that seems like a silly solution. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by jackryan172 View Post
    Hi All,

Trying to update the scenery around vancouver and I installed Victoria Intl (CYYJ_704.zip) and I have the dreaded trees in the runway. I tried adding an exclude statement "Exclude=N48 39.09,W123 26.65,N48 36.71,W123 24.84,objects" to the scenery.cfg entry for the scenery, but that took all the cool runways and such. If I turn down the autogen level the trees will disappear, but that seems like a silly solution. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Sean
    My thoughts... most likely either one of a scenery conflict or a duplicate AFCAD for the area. Be sure to have correctly installed non-airport addon-sceneries (like Vancouver+ and Victoria+) for the area with pertinent correctly installed patches to make them compatible with UT; to check try disabling all sceneries (excluding UT) and enabling one by one to see whether or not the problem persists. There is a configuration panel for Vic+ - check that! Or else, feel free to look here: http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?Folder=CYYJ for the latest release, which apparently is 706 and report your issue/get in touch with the developer as they may be able to help, especially with the installation of the scenery, perhaps there is an issue with that...contact the dev!

Don't forget that your exclude will exclude anything below it in the scenery stack, so it must be below the things you want to keep.

If you make an exclude file be sure that you have your scenery set to maximum density while you make it, as it will only exclude things that are visible at the time the exclude is made. I don't know if this part applies to an exclude statement in the cfg file, but I think it might. I haven't made an exclude statement since I started using exclude bgl files instead many years ago and I don't remember much about cfg file statements.

If you want to try it with exclude files and don't have a utility for that, I like Exclude Builder, available at the main download sites. You just make a scenery folder with a scenery sub-folder and no texture sub-folder, put your excludes in there and put it very low in the scenery stack so your add-on sceneries are all above it. Then your exclude will exclude all autogen items but not the add-on scenery that you want to show up.

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Don't forget that your exclude will exclude anything below it in the scenery stack, so it must be below the things you want to keep.

If you make an exclude file be sure that you have your scenery set to maximum density while you make it, as it will only exclude things that are visible at the time the exclude is made. I don't know if this part applies to an exclude statement in the cfg file, but I think it might. I haven't made an exclude statement since I started using exclude bgl files instead many years ago and I don't remember much about cfg file statements.

If you want to try it with exclude files and don't have a utility for that, I like Exclude Builder, available at the main download sites. You just make a scenery folder with a scenery sub-folder and no texture sub-folder, put your excludes in there and put it very low in the scenery stack so your add-on sceneries are all above it. Then your exclude will exclude all autogen items but not the add-on scenery that you want to show up.
    Ill give that a try, as my other experiments have ended badly. Do I need to give the exclude bgl its own scenery entry below the main entry for the CYYJ?

Sean

SOH-CM-2023
    Ill give that a try, as my other experiments have ended badly. Do I need to give the exclude bgl its own scenery entry below the main entry for the CYYJ?

Sean

I am excited!!!! ExcludeBuilder worked like a champ once I figured out how to use it effectively. Big thing is use top down view, center up on heading 000 and head to the nw corner then the se corners and fill in the blanks. I put the exclude file in its on scenery layer right below the rest of the stack for the scenery and poof no more runway trees!! So excited I tried it on a local airport that had trees for ever and it worked great there too! I can still learn stuff from an almost 20 year old program!
    Sean

... Do I need to give the exclude bgl its own scenery entry below the main entry...?
    Sean
    It sounds like you've got it all figured out, but in case your question still needs answering:

What matters is that the exclude file is lower in the scenery stack than the stuff you want to keep visible. In my sims, in Add On Scenery I have a scenery folder called "Excludes Flattens & Landclass" well down in the scenery stack, right above the stock folders and below any added-on ones. Into it I put, as the title implies, excludes, flattens and landclass files.

None of those kinds of files have any textures, so the Excludes Flattens & Landclass folder has only a scenery sub-folder. That's because an empty texture sub-folder can cause trouble (or so I've read) so in the absence of textures, no texture sub-folder.

A caveat: if you're making or enhancing scenery using Airport Design Editor (ADE9X) and you make an exclude or landclass file (I forget which one it is) the ADE9X instructions tell you to put it somewhere else, and for reasons I don't understand, you have to follow those instructions, as the file won't work in the usual way.

Another caveat: when you're making an exclude file, remember that it will exclude Visible items within the exclusion zone you created. If there are autogen items not showing because your autogen density setting is low they won't be excluded, and if you turn up your autogen density setting later, they will appear. So when you make an exclude file, turn your autogen density setting all the way up. When you're exclude file is finished you can put the setting back where it was.

Members who have read this thread: 0