New Machine - Installation Question

Thread: New Machine - Installation Question

New Machine - Installation Question

I'm getting a new machine soon. It will have a 500G SSD.

Should I install DCS on the SSD?

Sorry for late reply,I just checked my DCS folder and it's at 265 Gigs.I have most of the modules and all of the Maps.I believe The Maps take up the most room,So I'd say you'd be fine with 500,Not sure if it's changed but I've always heard its better to install DCS on a different drive than your OS is running on,
    maybe because DCS is an older engine that doesn't optimize processors and multi threading?

Patrick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokeman View Post
    I'm getting a new machine soon. It will have a 500G SSD.

Should I install DCS on the SSD?
    Spokeman, If you have not already purchased your SSD, I recommend that you up it to at lease a 1 TB SSD. The reason is that although DCS, as Phantom88 said, will fit on the drive with room to spare, it won't be long before you will wish you had more drive space. Hard drives, like closets and drawers, have a way of getting filled. The cost difference between a 500Gb and 1 TB SSD is about $50 USD or $10 per 100GB. If you can afford the additional money, I think you will find it well spent down the road. Like the old adage of flying where you cannot have too much runway in front of you, altitude below you, or fuel, you cannot have too much drive space.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Spokeman, If you have not already purchased your SSD, I recommend that you up it to at lease a 1 TB SSD. The reason is that although DCS, as Phantom88 said, will fit on the drive with room to spare, it won't be long before you will wish you had more drive space. Hard drives, like closets and drawers, have a way of getting filled. The cost difference between a 500Gb and 1 TB SSD is about $50 USD or $10 per 100GB. If you can afford the additional money, I think you will find it well spent down the road. Like the old adage of flying where you cannot have too much runway in front of you, altitude below you, or fuel, you cannot have too much drive space.
    Great Point John

Patrick

Also consider an M2 drive. Their speed is considerably higher. Even if your motherboard does not have an M2 slot you could use an adaptor for PCI-express if you have one of those empty.

I would also recommend a larger drive than 500GB. I personally have a number of drives in my PC, with 2 x 2TB M.2 drives, 1 x 2TB SSD, and 1 x 10TB HDD just for storage purposes. It is surprising how quick they fill up, especially if you run more than one sim.

I would recommend even a 2TB drive, especially if you're only getting the one drive. M.2 drives are more expensive, but much faster. SSD drives are a good comprimise between performance and cost.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    I would also recommend a larger drive than 500GB. ... M.2 drives are more expensive, but much faster. SSD drives are a good comprimise between performance and cost.
    I soooo remember when we wrote those same words in SSD vs. hard drive discussions.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Members who have read this thread: 0