TRUE SKY and EA Have we all misunderstood this enhancement! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRUE SKY and EA Have we all misunderstood this enhancement!

Like those Wombat. The more you try it with real time weather inputs in different places the more impressive it becomes. Right now as I type I have it set for my locale and real time and weather - i look out the window and I look at the sim and it is the same! Because of this we are really going to see very different skies and cloud unless we are all in the same place at the same time!

I have found that I get the most interesting outcomes by using the real time weather engine P3DWX which is compatible with EA and True Sky and the weather change rate set to maximum or fastest so it keeps up with the weather reports that are being logged into NOAA and the WMO every half hour - the dynamics then are quite stunning.

I do use the ENVSHADE for V5 to tone down the EA effect here and there! It appears to me that this is a game changer for the sim graphics but True Sky is quite complex as is the way EA is working - I find all sorts of amazing visual outcomes that were never evident before in FSX for example. Things such as moving the camera view can have a dramatic effect, the way the sun is actually postively directional, scattering etc. EA even gives you proper moonlight and moonlight shadows at night which was a bit of a surprise too. It is also properly adjusting light for the latitude your at and time of the year which is also impressive.

The best part is that it came with the sim - getting to understand it better (it is quite complex) I use no more cloud or sky addons anymore. The run around the Azores last night with fading light, thunderstorms and wind shear all over the place was just too spooky for words - sufficiently realistic to get me in a cold sweat too, this was very realistic bad weather flying in poor light ( I was saved by dinner being ready LOL).

The high altitude gridding is still a minor irritant but that is a matter of angular displacement and perspective - they just need to reduce or squeeze the grid allocation and it will be good but it is only an issue in the vertical plane looking down or up that is directly above you or directly below all other angles it dissappears.

I have linked this video before I think - it was up on the LM site. This started me down the exploration route of really getting to know this program, how it worked and make it work for me (and others). Watch not just the waves which are spectacular but the sky behind changing and the precipitation. Looks like a Hurricane to me! True Sky and the NVIDIA wave motion feature - stunning!

Prepar3D V5 Ocean Swell - YouTube

This is probably a redundant thread now with P3DV5.2 released. ENVSHADE and REX alas into the bin no longer required. You now can now also alter and control all the cloud and light shaders via the inbuilt GUI menus.

Bumping this one again. It seems with volumetric cloud control changes to EA and dynamic lighting things have change considerably with True Sky but there is still room improvement - Considerable discussion at AVSIM about this with accredited beta testers and others involved about the implementation. A mod to the volumetric cloud config has produced much better use of the new sim settings . So for those interested here is GSaldens cloud volume config mod for you to try - I give it a big tick! Tidy's up a lot of areas. Again we are still not at the end of what True Sky, EA and this sim is capable of:

VolumetricClouds.rar

Cruising at 17000' over Victoria and the weather is right on the mark!

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Yep looks good. There are also some shader tweaks now being discussed using ENVSHADE which seem to refine things even more. Lot of folk still chasing art clouds as I call it and whingeing about hazey skies not sure what some simmers think is real but I have to say with EA+TRUESKY+SHADER changes that have been made - it is pretty close to the mark 95% of the time for me. With real time weather driving it the issue is not the program but the type and level of metar reports. There is a lot of ignorance about what is actually reported and the criteria for met reports, like CAVOK which only means vis greater than 9999 and no cloud in the airport area below 5000 ft not clear skies and sunshine, you can be CAVOK and have solid overcast at 6000 ft (that would be in the remarks of a metar) but no weather engine can ever pick that up!

There are some odd ideas out there from people who possibly don't look at 'the Weather' IRL Mike.
    Just based on the conditions down here overlooking the Southern Ocean I must say a perfectly clear cloudless day is a rarity, and around Port Phillip and Westernport there is always a faint haze.
    And even on a clear day with the lightest of wind that haze persists, it comes off the water surface.
    I'm happy tweaking my atmospherics......
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I love EA and thanks for the insight. I love how it replicates the blue rayleigh scattering of distant terrain, however I've noticed much reduced visibility with the 5.1 update, and 5.2 didn't change that. I'm a keen observer of atmospherics, and this seems a bit overdone and not what I've seen in the past.

Snurdley you can tweak these issues - it is not really hard. ENVSHADE is the best way to do it as it gives you control over the shaders in P3D without resorting to line by line file changes. By the way ENVSHADE is cheap $10 is all it costs. There is a programmer (Over at AVSIM) who is working with the developers who gives us updates and quite techincal explanations of how and EA and the Shaders work and how you can manipulate the underlying config settings to alter colour, light etc. Well worth a read!

I do have an updated cloud volumes config that has been done by others I will post it when I get a chance not many changes just some slight tweaks!

Thanks Bendy, I have both Envtex and Envshade. I think I gave up Envshade when I started using EA. As I mentioned I didn't have the limited viz when 5 initially came out, but I'll look into your suggestion. I also need to watch the in-depth vid on EA.

Update 5.2 with hf1 ea and true sky

The last HF for 5.2 has finally fixed the cloud volume, haze and lighting issues. It seems that with the standard LM shaders, volumetric clouds config and EA etc that LM have nailed it. I have reverted to the standard settings and configurations provided by LM with the only exception of limiting the cloud draw distance to 80 nm (via the Control/Settings Panel). It is still probably tweakable via ENVSHADE but I cannot see the need at the moment.!

Latest shots this is sunset at Broome WA

And on top at F240 with P3DWX driving the weather engine.

Standard cloud settings from LM - real time weather generated by AS. This is Port Jackson Harbour Port Moresby area this morning. This is to my eye a very good rendition of an early morning tropical sky and clouds.

Bendy, do you use any modification now in v.coluds cfg?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Hopefully Bendy will see this soon - but regarding your question about modifying the ini - I've been using the file he posted in post #29 above with the latest version of P3D; without it I was getting pretty ugly results, but using his modified file has produced the best looking weather visuals I've ever had. I've used both FSGRW and Acitive Sky P3D as the weather engine - AS has worked best.

Hopefully the expert will chime in here when he sees this thread

YoYo. With the release of 5.3 HF2 I am currently using the standard LM Volumetric Clouds config file. I think they have improved the look of the Cirrus and the rest seems ok. That said the Cirrus is still not wonderful but adequate. AS also modified the way the weather engine and AS works now with EA and True Sky.

I think it is ok now and just seeing what AS and the weather engine delivers in a variety of scenarios. This is a recent flight using AS for the weather between NZ and FIJI. Cloud matched the forecast, cu with TS's on arrival well.
    Here is a screenshot:

Not sure about the CB's though they are not quire getting the definition my mods did so at the moment I am leaning to some mods to that part of the Vol Cld config. Reason I am not seeing this like I used to:

But AS has also changed what they are doing with the was thunderstorms and CB's are generated so in short staying with the default for the time being.

Right, default + AS looks very nice from now:

Minus - strange antyaliasing near edges of model on True Sky clouds (or rather the lack of it) and mars clouds when the Sun is low.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

YoYo - yes I have noticed the feathering but I also note that it is not a constant but a transient effect. Shadowing is good (that's EA). I have the true sky manuals but no access to how it is implemented by LM in P3D other than the volumetric cloud config file. Still there are a lot of variables to work with. I keep copies of all the cfg for vol clouds so I can track what is changing. Not sure about the latest AS version and what it is doing in some areas (that is a bit of mystery too) It would be nice to get some idea of how it is scripting weather for the sim to use!.

Maybe it is the constant dynamics that is hard - I know when I look at what game producers and film makers do with True Sky the results are incredible but compared to say a simulator that is fairly static. As an aside some spectacular skies in MSFS yes but they appear to be sticking to a formula there and your still seeing the cotton wool balls as I call them.

Nobody seems to be able to nail flat stratus clouds or cirrus for some reason.

Overall not unhappy with the current True Sky as delivered by LM in the sim at all.

I had very nice flat stratus clouds using your volclouds config from post #29 just yesterday! I still think your old config produces a much better looking effect that the default config. But that's just me I guess

Bunkiester - thanks for that. I am away from the PC and simming for a few weeks. I have a few ideas re the previous config and the current one to try out!

Hope all is well with you - lookin' forward to what you discover when you get back to the sim

Members who have read this thread: 2