To be (17) or not be (17), that is my question?

Thread: To be (17) or not be (17), that is my question?

To be (17) or not to be (17), that is my question?

Problem: None of the B-17Gs in ETO reflect light properly when using Ankor's shaders, which is doubly problematic when trying to use a bare metal skin.

My Solution:
    After Major Magee kindly fixed the XDP file of one of them for me, I, in my only foray into aircraft cloning, created myself a set of four B-17Gs (cleaning up a texture mapping conflict or two in the process) and gave them new skins to differentiate them from anything that's gone before. They are shown below (yes, there's a theme that only one of them doesn't meet!).

Question: To save folks having to learn to hex edit planes themselves (which can be daunting), I thought I'd release this set, but as the planes themselves are not my creations, what is the etiquette here? Like I did with my BPF skin pack, I would certainly note the the base work is not mine. Is this OK? I absolutely don't want to ruffle any feathers or upset anyone!

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    They look beautiful .Excellent work done and looking forward to their release....hopefully...

I think basically you're creating a standalone repaint so it sounds ok to upload unless the credits prohibit such a thing. In the later case , I would try to contact original creator for permission and then maybe go forward if I didn't hear anything(depends on the wording in credits). Of course I would also list original creator in the new credits and download description. Hope that helps and the be(17) looks good

Here's the 'meat' of the Readme. Acceptable?

--------------------------------------------

THE PROBLEM

None of the B-17Gs in ETO reflect light properly when using Ankor's shaders, which is doubly problematic when trying to use a bare metal skin.

MY SOLUTION

After Major Magee kindly fixed the XDP file of one of them for me, I, in my only foray into aircraft cloning, created myself a set of four B-17Gs (cleaning up a texture mapping conflict or two in the process) and gave them new skins to differentiate them from anything that's gone before.

CREDITS

As already mentioned, Major Magee edited the base M3D file of the '1% - 3US B-17G-80 Flying Fortress' to get the reflectivity working. The credit for the plane itself is entirely down to the creators of said aircraft. According to the Aircraft.cfg file of the original, this would be Gregory Pierson/AvHistory.org. Without his/their excellent work, these clones would not be possible!

Using directions posted at SimOuthouse, I cloned it it to make four distinct aircraft, although all of them reference the internal textures of B-17G-01, so it must always be present. I also did the skins, although once again, they're built on a base of the skins done for the original aircraft, so the main credit is sill down to their creators.

Testing was kindly done by Scott 'sixstrings' Lewis.

INSTALLATION

Simply copy the four individual B-17 folders (B-17G-01, B-17G-02, B-17G-03, & B-17G-04) to the aircraft sub-directory in your main ETO install directory. As always, use at your own risk! Note: I removed the existing non-reflective B-17s, but as far as I and testing can tell, that's not necessary.

THE SKINS

B-17G 231921 PY-Q 'Lil Brat'
    407th Bomb Squadron, 92nd Bomb Group, 1st Air Division, Podington, UK, April 1944
    This is a relatively early G model . . .

These are the original credits (Model by HerbieG with air & damage files by Gregory SARGE Pierson using version 4.00.167 of the AvHistory 1% Assembly Line process. Main texture John BRAVO/4 Whelan)

Nice skins btw!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Thanks! I will add them to the Readme.

No probs!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Members who have read this thread: 0