Avro Tutor Liveries by Motormouse

Thread: Avro Tutor Liveries by Motormouse

Avro Tutor Liveries by Motormouse

1935 Cambridge UAS repaint for Nigel's Avro

Attachment 82481

ttfn

Pete

Avro Tutor Cambridge University Air Squadron

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Military skins - General

Description: Another paint for Nigel's Avro Tutor.

K3225 as pictured in service with Cambridge University Air squadron, 1935 ; one of the three university squadrons to be active before ww2; the others being Oxford and London

The Pennant on tail would appear to mark this particular tail as the aircraft of the Squadron Commander; Sqn Ldr John Stanley Chick; a WW1 'Ace' who remained in the service after WW1

(more about him here---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stanley_Chick).

The most senior of the University squadrons; Cambridge University Air Squadron was formed on 1 October 1925, Wing Commander J B Bowen OBE being posted
    to the unit as Chief Instructor (in effect, commanding officer) and Flight Lieutenant R V Goddard as Instructor (adjutant) on the same date. Sqn Ldr Chick took over command in 1934.

With this paint you now have all 3 of the pre war university squadrons covered for Nigel's Avro

Fs9 as I don't run 'X' ; feel free to convert

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Avro Tutor Cambridge University Air Squadron
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Very nice!

Avro Tutor 614 Sqn R Aux AF

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Skins

K6116 ; one of 5 Avro Tutors (Along with Hawker Hinds) assigned to 614 (County of Glamorgan) Sqn; R Aux AF at its' formation in June 1937 under Sqn Ldr R E C Cadman ; replaced the same year by Hawker Hectors' more suited to the squadron's Army Co-operation role; the Hectors' lasted until 1939 when they too were replaced by Lysanders

Initially based at RAF Pengam Moors ( better known at the time as Cardiff Airport) In June 1940 it moved to Scotland to carry out coastal patrols but from July 1941 it began re-equipping with Blenheims IVs, a process completed by January 1942. During the first 'thousand bomber' raid in May 1942, it carried out bombing attacks against German airfields.

Paint is loosely based on the only picture I could find of 614 sqn Hawker Hectors' in flight.

Fs9 as I don't run FSX , feel free to convert

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Avro Tutor 614 Sqn R Aux AF

24 Sqn Avro

Attachment 82689

Another yellow peril for Huub; slightly different this time K4833 was recorded as being on strength with 'C' flight of 24 Sqn at RAF Northolt in 1936;along with sister ship K4834 and K3359 and by 1937-38 all 3 had joined University of London Air Squadron

Here it is in what I shall term interim scheme halfway between the silver wings and the all yellow period
    the squadron number 24 is in blue (the flight colour for C flight) and there is a corresponding blue stripe in the 24 Sqn chevron marking on the tail

As far as I can make out from the documentation the Avro's of C flight were used for both staff officer and Air pilotage (navigation skills)
    proficiency ; general duties around the London Area and occasional VIP transport

will be in library once I get it all packaged up; comments welcome

ttfn

Pete

Avro Tutor 24 Sqn RAF, 1936

K4833 ; one of 3 Avro Tutors ; the others being K4834 and K3359; recorded as being on strength with the detached 'C' flight of 24 Sqn at RAF Northolt @1936
    used for pilot and staff officer proficiency; air pilotage (navigation ) training and general duties around the London area these 3 Tutors are later recorded as
    being on the strength of London University Air Squadron; also Northolt based.

Painted here in 1935 style marks but in overall yellow; the squadron number and stripe in the 24 Sqn chevron marking on the tail are in the colour blue
    which identifies 'C' flight; The identification colours for each flight within a squadron being published in Air Ministry Weekly Order
    (AMWO) 895 of 18 December 1924 which formally sanctioned the use of red, yellow and blue, for A, B and C Flights respectively within a squadron

A bit about 24 Sqn:

Listed as operating over 100 different types over its history No 24 was formed on 1 September 1915 at Hounslow Heath, moving to France in February 1916.It returned the UK in February 1919, disbanding a year later.

When it reformed at Kenley on 1 April 1920, it was as a communications and training squadron.; part of the training role being 'Air pilotage' or navigational skills; there was no air navigation school or
    Navigator specialty at the time; all navigators were pilots that had been trained in navigation techniques.
    During the next few years it operated a wide variety of types carrying government and senior RAF personnel as well as government despatches during the General Strike of 1926
    It also carried refresher flying course for officers returning to squadrons following staff appointments as well as providing facilities for those in staff appointments 'to keep their hand in'
    and maintain their flying pay. In 1927 the squadron moved to Northolt and in 1933 to Hendon, where it remained until 1946.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Avro Tutor 24 Sqn RAF, 1936

Just uploaded another, it's story has an interesting footnote I dug up in the research. Quite something when you can match names to tails and events from one grainy photo.

Ttfn

Pete

Avro Tutor K4809

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Military skins - General

K4809 ; depending on the source document this was either a 2FTS (RAF Digby) aeroplane or a 24 Sqn (RAF Hendon) Aeroplane when Fg Off I.V Hue-Williams used it for his display at the Empire Air Day at RAF Hendon in May 1935;

Given the outcome that day when Hue-Williams
    rather infamously crashed the poor Avro during his 'ham fisted student' aka 'crazy flying' routine and was pictured in the disintegrating Avro sliding across the Hendon grass: I suspect he
    as a member of 2 FTS staff, had simply borrowed the Tutor from 24 Sqn (resident at Hendon) in order to carry out his display. I've included a photo of the wreck in the zip.

Hue-Williams was only lightly injured in the incident and the public were told it was part of the routine;

Researching further I found out He went on to be a Wellington bomber pilot with 37 squadron at RAF Feltwell.

Sadly along with his crew; the then Sqn Ldr Hue-Williams was reported MIA presumed killed on the Wilhelmshaven raid of 18 December 1939 ; their aircraft N2904 was last reported heading out to sea heavily ablaze. See the linkys for more info.

https://www.tracesofwar.com/articles...ember-1939.htm

http://aircrewremembered.com/hue-williams-ian.html

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Avro Tutor K4809

Attachment 83817

somewhere over the Andes Chilean Avro 626 Tutor

Any takers?

ttfn

Pete

Haven't flown the Tutor for a while. A new livery is always a good reason

Cheers,
    Huub

Nice, is it the Tutor or the Prefect ?

Quote Originally Posted by vinci View Post
    Nice, is it the Tutor or the Prefect ?
    It's on the Tutor model; although built with the 3rd cockpit, the Prefect (626) version was often flown with it faired over so no great differences; and likewise the extra equipment on 626 was largely optional

The actual Prefect model is still to see the light; but as Nigel has been AWOL for over 2 years now ( Magoo and I had just about nailed the flight model too) its getting more remote.

Ttfn

Pete

things have gone from Chile to positively Baltic

here masquerading as one of 4 model 626 supplied to Estonia in 1932; these were all supplied with interchangeable float landing gear

Attachment 83855

ttfn

Pete

Avro Tutor Chile 1935

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Civilian propeller skins

Here masquerading as on of 20 model 626 supplied to Chile in 1935; often seen flying with optional 3rd cockpit faired over ( & scarff ring gun mount removed)
    These tails were delivered to Santiago by overflying the Andes!

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Avro Tutor Chile 1935

Avro Tutor Estonia 1932

Here masquerading as one of 4 model 626, s/n 141 thru 144 supplied to Estonia in 1932; supplied with interchangeable wheel/float landing gear.
    That's about as much as I have been able to find out about them due to Estonia being wiped from the map in ww2; and not reforming until after the fall of soviet union.

As usual; feel free to convert to FSX (as I don't run X)

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Avro Tutor Estonia 1932

Just uploaded another pair, representing same aeroplane
    In 2 stages of its life, as an Avro demonstrator, and in Argentine military service @1931

Ttfn

Pete
    Last edited by Motormouse; August 24th, 2021 at 10:04.

Avro Trainer G-ABFM

Description: Another 2 paints for Nigel's Avro Tutor.

This time for the 621 Trainer model and the floats model.

So here is the 621 masquerading as Avro factory demonstrator G-ABFM . Built in October 1930 serial number 478 was converted during build to 626 configuration (with optional 3rd cockpit) but retained the early gear and cowl, it can be seen in many photo's of the time wearing both wheel and float landing gear, while in use as Avro's factory demonstrator.

In 1931 it embarked on a sales tour of South America, and while in Argentina was ,"acquired" by the Argentine military to help suppress a local uprising, can't find any details of how or where this was, but it must have made a good impression, as an order for 14 more aeroplanes followed. It was retained in Argentina and has been later pictured in Argentine military marks wearing the number 31 on fuselage

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Avro Trainer G-ABFM

SOH-CM-2022
    Thanks for another great outfit for the Avro. Please keep them coming - The Tutor series is still one of my most frequently flown aircraft.

Hope Nigel checks in to see how appreciated his work is.

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by gavinc View Post
    Thanks for another great outfit for the Avro. Please keep them coming - The Tutor series is still one of my most frequently flown aircraft.

Hope Nigel checks in to see how appreciated his work is.

Gavin
    Thanks...2 outfits! I'm not quite as skilled with brushes as Huub is,
    Nigels paint kit is the real star of the show.

I still have a few more I'm researching, out of the 852 built!

Ttfn

Pete

Armstrong Siddeley (Ottawa) Avro 621

Avro 621 trainer CF-ANQ, construction number 463, built in 1930, Was shipped to Canada and used as company demonstrator for Armstrong Siddeley (aero engines) of Ottawa , first registered there in June of 1930,

Initially built as a 621 with Mongoose engine; sometime later was converted to the Lynx engine as seen here and in 1937 was bought by the RCAF, from Armstrong Siddeley to add to its fleet of Tutors' becoming serial number 224

I've used a bit of artist license with the colours going for brown / old english white and embellished the tail with the Armstrong Siddeley company logo. The only RW picture I could find of it is in the zip

As usual fs9 as I don't run FSX feel free to convert

Ps sorry for duplicated posting; forgot to attach the file first time!

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Armstrong Siddeley (Ottawa) Avro 621

Members who have read this thread: 1