P-40B for MSFS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P-40B for MSFS

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Looks great. Any info on the sound package that is included? I'm curious to know if it uses Wwise or Legacy sound package and if it includes a soundai package for multiplayer.

+2 hours download time? Their servers must be overloaded. 1.2gig file size.

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

It is interesting and a bit wild to see such detailed models being cranked out by seemingly new developers. I 'member back in the day, developers were up in arms about the additional texture layers needed to create high-fidelity models in FSX and that coding such aircraft required a 2-year associates degree in decoding an underwhelming SDK. Have these issues been resolved so effectively with some combination of internal (MS) and external (e.g. Adobe) tools that the bar to entry is no longer so high?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    It is interesting and a bit wild to see such detailed models being cranked out by seemingly new developers. I 'member back in the day, developers were up in arms about the additional texture layers needed to create high-fidelity models in FSX and that coding such aircraft required a 2-year associates degree in decoding an underwhelming SDK. Have these issues been resolved so effectively with some combination of internal (MS) and external (e.g. Adobe) tools that the bar to entry is no longer so high?
    No, it isn't easier, IMHO. Although, there is a lot of software that you can download that is open source you can use to develop now, so entry into development doesn't cost you thousands of dollars invested in software to join the club. I also think it's just that there are more cross platform developers as well. I think some of these developers have developed for other sims, but they're coming over to MSFS now due to the size of the market. I should also add, "Nice P-40B, one of my favorites." I'll have to read the reviews to see if I'm getting it.

I think what we're seeing is a new generation of interest. And the "old guard" being a little slow at the up take. The Gamer industry is full of these guys. I think that groups like A2A are going to miss the flying boat so to speak. unless external systems are supported relatively soon, I don't see how they are going to make an "accu" anything with the same fidelity as was with FSX/P3D. This current MSFS isn't at the same level of fidelity. Looks great, but is not a better "sim" yet.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

External flights models aren’t excluded, the Flyinside Bell 47 is an example of that.

Not flight models...systems. maybe they're working on that now. But, it's taken quite a while to.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    I think what we're seeing is a new generation of interest. And the "old guard" being a little slow at the up take. The Gamer industry is full of these guys. I think that groups like A2A are going to miss the flying boat so to speak. unless external systems are supported relatively soon, I don't see how they are going to make an "accu" anything with the same fidelity as was with FSX/P3D. This current MSFS isn't at the same level of fidelity. Looks great, but is not a better "sim" yet.
    That aint no lie.. basically, MSFS IS a repackaged recompiled, slightly modified ( de-clawed ) version of FSX/P3D..
    It's frustrating..

Any thoughts on this plane? Looks like all of the paints need some weathering. All look factory fresh. -d

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    While I'm sure they'll respond for themselves here soon, I'm afraid that I am partly responsible for the appearance of "Big Radials", in that I encouraged their founder to go for it and build a commercial aircraft for sale on MSFS

The reason it's possible is down to a combination of decent, hard-working developers communicating and helping each other out, which we've been doing for some time now on a private Discord channel; the tireless assistance of Asobo in helping us learn the SDK and our developing of a Blender exporter for MSFS, which was mostly championed and created by Otmar at Wing 42; and the availability of freeware packages such as Blender, GIMP and others that allow devs to learn without the crippling expenditure that was often required in the past.

But it's no easy task, and there are really only a few aircraft developers out there with the skills to go all the way, most of whom you have already heard of. Big Radials is one of the new ones who learned and worked for many months to produce their aircraft, and they've done an outstanding job, I think. The P-40 is their first aircraft, but it won't be their last
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Nice! I know what I'll be doing this weekend!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    +2 hours download time? Their servers must be overloaded. 1.2gig file size.

-d
    I just downloaded it. It took me less than 2 minutes. Guess, I missed the rush.

This was one of my favorite aircraft when I was a kid. My brother-in-laws' father was an AVG pilot during the early part of WWII. He use to tell some interesting stories.
    Last edited by jmig; April 23rd, 2021 at 04:34. Reason: Corrected tense
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quick Start Guide

Reading the quick start guide for the P40B. Where do I find the CG values in MSFS so I can set the CG on the P40B?

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Reading the quick start guide for the P40B. Where do I find the CG values in MSFS so I can set the CG on the P40B?
    Jim,

Take a look at the weight and balance section/sheet when you select the aircraft. There is a slider on the right side, upper section of the screen that allows you to set it. I have to do that ever time I fly the MilViz Corsair. It is not intuitive to find.

Downloading!! Brilliant way to start the weekend!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Blog Entries
    Bought it and like it. It actually trims up and flies nicely. I have yet to look at the CG, forgot, but it flew fine.

The only issue I have is I can't get the gear down. I tried the "boring" way, and assigning the hydraulic to the weapons release button. No joy.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Bought it and like it. It actually trims up and flies nicely. I have yet to look at the CG, forgot, but it flew fine.

The only issue I have is I can't get the gear down. I tried the "boring" way, and assigning the hydraulic to the weapons release button. No joy.
    I use the "G" keyboard key. The gear up and down is very slow and asymetrical in operation. I guess like the real ones? I have to use a lot of trim for takeoff and landings, otherwise it's noseover as soon as the wheels touch. Overall it's a very nice, easy to fly model. I think the paints are a little too clean, but that's just me. Big Radials has indicated a free livery pack coming for those who bought through their store. No timing of that.

-d

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    I use the "G" keyboard key. The gear up and down is very slow and asymetrical in operation. I guess like the real ones? I have to use a lot of trim for takeoff and landings, otherwise it's noseover as soon as the wheels touch. Overall it's a very nice, easy to fly model. I think the paints are a little too clean, but that's just me. Big Radials has indicated a free livery pack coming for those who bought through their store. No timing of that.

-d
    Tried that. I don't know what the deal is?
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Blog Entries
    the "weapons" button on the joystick is actually the hydraulics "engage" button in real life and the sim.. everything not automatic is accessed through the RTDM panel hidden in the back of the right hand 50 cal to the top right of the panel. to lower gears, you flip the gear switch, move the lever and press the button on the joystick. same with flaps.. dont forget to move the switches back to neutral when your fone, and especially dont forget to place the gear handle in neutral after they're down, or theyll fold up on you as they didnt use a locking device..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    the "weapons" button on the joystick is actually the hydraulics "engage" button in real life and the sim.. everything not automatic is accessed through the RTDM panel hidden in the back of the right hand 50 cal to the top right of the panel. to lower gears, you flip the gear switch, move the lever and press the button on the joystick. same with flaps.. dont forget to move the switches back to neutral when your fone, and especially dont forget to place the gear handle in neutral after they're down, or theyll fold up on you as they didnt use a locking device..
    Pam, I want to do it the "boring way." Every complex aircraft I have flown, both real life and simulated, have a lever/switch. You raise it and the gear come up. You lower it and the gear come down. Simple, easy, uncomplicated, in my tottering years that is the way I like it.

I gave up on the A2A P-40 because by the time I would look down and get the mouse on the button, and raise the gear, I would fly into the ground. Makes for a short and painful flight.

The manual on this bird says the MSFS gear and flaps commands work. I can raise and lower the gears. But, whether I use the MSFS Bindings, FSUIPC binding, or G key, nothing, nada, no gear down. They will raise. They just won't lower. That make for a mess when landing. Besides, those props are expensive and hard to find.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Is speed less than 175 when trying to lower gear?

Members who have read this thread: 0