be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Reasonably soft-ish landing, repairable I would expect if they are careful fishing it out of the oggin; unlike wot happened to that pby couple of years back.

Ttfn

Pete

No one killed and the pilot made a very good water landing.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

A crane has been used to drag the Avenger onto the beach. It looks like it can be restored, but I'm sure it will take quite a bit of time.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    A crane has been used to drag the Avenger onto the beach. It looks like it can be restored, but I'm sure it will take quite a bit of time.

At first I was wondering why they didn't use the tailhook to pull the plane out instead of wrapping the straps around the tail, then I remembered how the Grumman tailhooks of this era operated. It's pretty much flush with the rear of the plane with no power to extend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    ----. It's pretty much flush with the rear of the plane with no power to extend it.
    Navy tail hooks are pretty much foolproof, designed to be available in the DOWN position anytime, by gravity. In the TBF, it was held up with a latch operated by a cable to the cockpit. A simple idea, been around for a LONG time. They probably did not want to fumble around in the semi - submerged cockpit trying to get to it.

I wondered why he went in the water rather than try the hard packed sand but figured he couldn't get the gear down. Possible it might have flipped if he had tried it.
    The thing I was struck by when I first watched the video was how most people held up their phones to record the incident - before anyone moved to check on or assist the aviator.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    The thing I was struck by when I first watched the video was how most people held up their phones to record the incident - before anyone moved to check on or assist the aviator.
    It's what people do when there are accidents or even murders. They film it. Welcome to the 21st century. Even exalted, superior beings called aviators aren't immune to this century.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    I wondered why he went in the water rather than try the hard packed sand but figured he couldn't get the gear down. Possible it might have flipped if he had tried it.
    The beach was packed with people, so a beach landing was a no-go.

With the advent of cell phone cameras and social media, by-standers no longer assist or come to the aid of someone in trouble, they film it and hope to be the first to post it to their social media page.

Members who have read this thread: 0