Accurate location of Smoke Please

Thread: Accurate location of Smoke Please

Accurate location of Smoke Please

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Please be kind enough to take look at this smoke system of aircraft.cfg as seen below.

If I want to move smoke little bit back and move smoke very little bit up, what numbers do I need to change in this smoke system, please to have precise corrected location of smoke coming out of engines, please? I know NOTHING about modifying and changing numbers for smokesytem.

[SMOKESYSTEM]
    smoke.0= 2.70, -29, 1.5, fx_smoke_w
    smoke.1= 5.15, -15.2, -0.9, fx_smoke_w
    smoke.2= 5.15, 15.05, -0.9, fx_smoke_w
    smoke.3= 2.70, 28.80, 1.5, fx_smoke_w

Thank you for any assistance any of you might provide.

Regards,

Aharon

First set of number (left/right)
    Second Set of numbers (fwd/back)
    Third Set of numbers (up/down)

Precise positioning will be strictly trial and error.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    First set of number (left/right)
    Second Set of numbers (fwd/back)
    Third Set of numbers (up/down)

Precise positioning will be strictly trial and error.
    Falcon409,

Thanks for great answers that help me a lot but ONE more question: if I want to move back or forward and up or down, do I reduce or increase number or what?? If I want to move back in second set, do I reduce or increase number to move back?? Do I reduce or increase number in third set to move up?

Regards,

Aharon

XXX, YYY, ZZZ

X numbers for forward to aft of aircraft (0.00 position) is starting location or center of gravity or whatever the developer is using. Usually more positive number moves aft and more negative moves forward. TRIAL AND ERROR

Y numbers for center of aircraft to left or right wingtip depending on plus or minus

Z numbers for up or down depending on more positive number or more negative.

Looks like you have smoke for a 4 engine aircraft. Smoke.0 and smoke.3 for the outer engines smoke.1 and smoke.2 for the inner engines.

Good luck, Aharon!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpeg 
Views:	122 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	82350
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Thanks to all

I will try to make heads or tails out of it and try to figure it out!

All I need is to move the smokes back at same horizontal level and then move the smokes up very little

Regards,

Aharon

Do small steps, Aharon. PM sent to you.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Just to be specific.
    FS2004 and FSX have different settings for lights and smoke co-ordinates.

Specifically...for FSX [as that's where you posted the query]...

Length....width...height...from datum specified by the model/modeller.

so...negative numbers are...behind...below...to the left of - datum.
    positive numbers are infront...above...to the right of - datum.

Often when you port over an old plane from an earlier FS into FSX you get 'entertaining' smoke trails...until you correct the L...W...H sequence....

Do one at a time, it will become easier to do the next one after the first one.
    Mark

Remember that you will need to SAVE THE TEXT FILE after each alteration otherwise the changes will not be used by the sim. You will also need to reload the aircraft after each value change in order to see the changes.

The 'aircraft reload' key will be very useful to you in this case. You will have to assign a key combination if you have not used it before as it has no assignment by default. I like to use <CTRL+SHIFT+R> (i.e. hold down both the CTRL key AND the SHIFT key at the same time and then hit the 'R' key once too). This combination is hard to hit accidentally so you really have to mean it to make it work.

The reload key will really save you time as you can leave the sim running, make the changes to the 'Smoke' section of the aircraft.cfg file, save the file and then hit the 'reload' key combination to reload the aircraft so that you can see your changes in the sim.

Rinse and repeat the above line until you get the results you want.

The same method of operation can be used to make changes to the 'Lights' section of the aircraft.cfg file or to change the initial 'eyepoint' value too.
    Larry

Thanks all for great explanations. Much appreciated for more useful tips

Regards,

Aharon

Members who have read this thread: 1