New Rig Time

Thread: New Rig Time

New Rig Time

Hi guys, just looking for some last minute advice before I hit the order button on this:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
    GPU: nVidia GeForce MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX 3080
    PSU: Kolink Continuum 850W
    RAM: 64GB Corsair DDR4 3000MHz C16 (2x 32GB)
    Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R
    Drive: Samsung 1TB 980 PCI-E 4.0 X4 NVMe (already have several external drives available if additional storage required)

My thoughts/concerns at this point:

• For the CPU I gather there are better value options when looked at from a cost per core perspective, not sure though I'd be making a noticeable gain in MSFS (or DCS for that matter) by upgrading further?
    • On cooling I'm debating whether to go with the 360R over the 240R - its going to be my first venture into liquid cooling, not so sure I's going to make much of a difference tbh.
    • Planning to run MSFS and DCS on this build, likely very little else.
    • Don't really plan on VR initially though I do want it to be an option down the road.
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

That CPU (not a big fan of AMD myself) compares good to an i7 10700K. You should be good!

As for the external drives, as long as they are just external storage and not used to run programs, ok.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

On the cooler the 360 will probably quieter as the fans wont need to ramp up as much under load to maintain the same temps. I have a Corsair H115 which has 2x140mm fans that is very quiet under load
    If you decide to go for the 360 make absolutely sure that it will fit in your case first.

I have an MSI 2080 Ti Ventus and that is the biggest noise maker in my rig, it only has 2 fans and the heatsink is not as beefy as most others but I went for it as it was the cheapest 2080 Ti I could get at the time.
    I see the 3080 has 3 fans but the heatsink looks about the same thickness as mine so I'm not sure if it will be quieter or not.
    Of course ATM you may have to go for whatever GPU you can actually get.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Blog Entries
    Personally, Ive been using the coolermaster V8 GTS cooler since I built this beast in 2018. It's a ryzen 7 2700 boosted to 4.2 ghz with 24 gigs of 3200 mhz ram and I;ve seen it rise to 65C once.. it normally stays in the 40's.. Cant recommend the cooler enough.. Upping the CPU to a ryzen 9-3950 this next week. Itll keep that cool too..

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    That CPU (not a big fan of AMD myself) compares good to an i7 10700K. You should be good!

As for the external drives, as long as they are just external storage and not used to run programs, ok.

Priller
    Yeah, wont be running anything from the externals, just figured I don't really need any dedicated internal storage drives when I've got a shelf full of externals. I've had bad experiences in the past with Intel and AMD, either way I'd be giving one of them the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    On the cooler the 360 will probably quieter as the fans wont need to ramp up as much under load to maintain the same temps. I have a Corsair H115 which has 2x140mm fans that is very quiet under load
    If you decide to go for the 360 make absolutely sure that it will fit in your case first.

I have an MSI 2080 Ti Ventus and that is the biggest noise maker in my rig, it only has 2 fans and the heatsink is not as beefy as most others but I went for it as it was the cheapest 2080 Ti I could get at the time.
    I see the 3080 has 3 fans but the heatsink looks about the same thickness as mine so I'm not sure if it will be quieter or not.
    Of course ATM you may have to go for whatever GPU you can actually get.
    Not really expecting to see this come together for a while, months maybe. Pretty set on the GPU, truth is this upgrade is years overdue so if I've waited this long a few more months wont kill me.

On the noise front the 240 is louder but from what I've picked up from reviews the difference is marginal. If I do ultimately go with liquid cooling then as long as the 240 is up to the job I'll likely leave the 360.

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Personally, Ive been using the coolermaster V8 GTS cooler since I built this beast in 2018. It's a ryzen 7 2700 boosted to 4.2 ghz with 24 gigs of 3200 mhz ram and I;ve seen it rise to 65C once.. it normally stays in the 40's.. Cant recommend the cooler enough.. Upping the CPU to a ryzen 9-3950 this next week. Itll keep that cool too..
    Going water cooled at all makes me a bit nervous if I'm honest, not entirely set on that yet. As I said it would be a first for me, and the mechanical engineer in me inherently distrusts all seals/piping and their tendency for leaking over their expensive delicate neighbors.
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenphoenix1986 View Post
    Thanks all

Going water cooled at all makes me a bit nervous if I'm honest, not entirely set on that yet. As I said it would be a first for me, and the mechanical engineer in me inherently distrusts all seals/piping and their tendency for leaking over their expensive delicate neighbors.

No no no.. The Coolermaster V8 Is an air cooler.. and a very good one. Having worked in electronics all my life I have this knee jerk reaction to water and electricity. They just dont mix well..

I have a Cool Master ML240R AIO for my i7 10700. I ran an AIO Liquid cooler for years on my i7 4770K OC'd with no issues and have found Liquid to be the best way to get quiet cooling. My 10700 is overclocked by the MB so it will hit about 150 watts if really pushed but while running MSFS it doesn't run hard at all and never really warms up much.Will probably upgrade to an 11900K or 11700K when they release, but CPU doesn't really matter for gaming. Get lots of RAM. I have had 35+ GB of ram used in certain areas playing MSFS, and it will only use more as the game develops.
    Major Spittle
    product of Anheuser Busch St. Louis Missouri

System Specs. Asus Prime Z590-A, 64GB DDR4 4000, RX 5700, i7 10700, MasterLiquid ML240R, Super Flower Platinum 850, Corsair Crystal 680X.

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    No no no.. The Coolermaster V8 Is an air cooler.. and a very good one. Having worked in electronics all my life I have this knee jerk reaction to water and electricity. They just dont mix well..
    Think we're on the same page here, being a mechanical Engineer I pretty much expect anything holding a fluid under pressure to spring a leak eventually.

Liquid cooling just seems to be much more mainstream than the last time I built a machine myself. Will look into the V8 though, take it the fans are easy enough to remove to clean the central radiator?

Quote Originally Posted by Major_Spittle View Post
    I have a Cool Master ML240R AIO for my i7 10700. I ran an AIO Liquid cooler for years on my i7 4770K OC'd with no issues and have found Liquid to be the best way to get quiet cooling. My 10700 is overclocked by the MB so it will hit about 150 watts if really pushed but while running MSFS it doesn't run hard at all and never really warms up much.Will probably upgrade to an 11900K or 11700K when they release, but CPU doesn't really matter for gaming. Get lots of RAM. I have had 35+ GB of ram used in certain areas playing MSFS, and it will only use more as the game develops.
    On the Ram front I figured 64GB should be OK for now, can always throw in another 2x 32GB's down the road,. I was tempted to go for 128 right from the start but looking at the specs for both MSFS and DCS I thought it might have been overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by fallenphoenix1986 View Post
    Thanks all

Yeah, wont be running anything from the externals, just figured I don't really need any dedicated internal storage drives when I've got a shelf full of externals. I've had bad experiences in the past with Intel and AMD, either way I'd be giving one of them the benefit of the doubt.

Not really expecting to see this come together for a while, months maybe. Pretty set on the GPU, truth is this upgrade is years overdue so if I've waited this long a few more months wont kill me.

On the noise front the 240 is louder but from what I've picked up from reviews the difference is marginal. If I do ultimately go with liquid cooling then as long as the 240 is up to the job I'll likely leave the 360.

I've run liquid cooling in my PC's continually for over 9 years without a single drip. Tens of thousands of liquid coolers are shipped every year by OEM PC makers as well as to DYI folks. Regardless of what you choose, a well ventilated box is very important. CPU's and GFX cards do get very hot under MSFS2020 loading.

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Last two builds have been liquid cooled without any issue whatsoever, will never go back to those mammoth air coolers.

Blog Entries
    I have run a Corsair liquid cooling system for five years without any issues. It was install and forget.

On the RAM amount questions. I have been reading on RAM, since I am planning on a new system within the next six months. Everything I have read states that 32 GB provides little increase in FPS over 16 GB. Where the higher RAM helps is with running additional programs along with flight sims. One article did state that if you have the money, install 32 GB for future need. RAM speed is what's important for FPS. Faster is better.

Based on what I have read, I believe that if the computer is strictly for flight simming 32 GB is plenty. Now, if you do a lot in Photoshop with the computer, add all the RAM you can afford.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I have run a Corsair liquid cooling system for five years without any issues. It was install and forget.

On the RAM amount questions. I have been reading on RAM, since I am planning on a new system within the next six months. Everything I have read states that 32 GB provides little increase in FPS over 16 GB. Where the higher RAM helps is with running additional programs along with flight sims. One article did state that if you have the money, install 32 GB for future need. RAM speed is what's important for FPS. Faster is better.

Based on what I have read, I believe that if the computer is strictly for flight simming 32 GB is plenty. Now, if you do a lot in Photoshop with the computer, add all the RAM you can afford.
    Indeed, 32 GB is plenty. Processor and memory speed (and GFX card!!) are a lot more important than having, say, 192 Gb of RAM. Maybe useful in a distant future, but nowadays 32 Gb is even good for the near future.

Cheers,

Priller
    becoming slightly depressed because of confinement
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Indeed, 32 GB is plenty. Processor and memory speed (and GFX card!!) are a lot more important than having, say, 192 Gb of RAM. Maybe useful in a distant future, but nowadays 32 Gb is even good for the near future.Cheers,Prillerbecoming slightly depressed because of confinement
    I have used over 32GB of my ram running MSFS (I have seen it in the upper 30's multiple times, Japan, Dallas, Korea). So if you only have 32GB of ram you will be using swap file on your HDD. Also RAM speed really doesn't matter and CPU speed isn't very critical if you have a CPU from the last couple generations with at least 12 threads ( 6 core 12 threads ). I have set up my i7 10700 so it would run ultra low power (thus low frequency) and never saw where it bottle necked my AMD 5700 that is flashed to a 5700XT bios and OC'd. I have also ran my RAM with different settings between 3200 and 4000 and have never seen any difference in FPS or loading/stutters/popping.
    Major Spittle

System Specs. Asus Prime Z590-A, 64GB DDR4 4000, RX 5700, i7 10700, MasterLiquid ML240R, Super Flower Platinum 850, Corsair Crystal 680X.

I've never had water cooling leak on me. But I have had two pumps fail after a number of years. (No damage to the system, it just quickly overheats and shuts down.) So I went to a Noctua NH-D15s, one of the highest-rated air coolers that doesn't have issues running into tall RAM, etc. due to size. Added a second fan (it includes clips) and it performs slightly better than the dual-fan Corsair it replaced. (And WAY better than the terrible single-fan water cooler CyberPowerPC included, which was useless on the 10900K.) If you make sure the second fan has PWM speed control too, the noise isn't appreciably more than the water cooler it replaced, and no pump to fail down the road.

I have used over 32GB of my ram running MSFS (I have seen it in the upper 30's multiple times, Japan, Dallas, Korea). So if you only have 32GB of ram you will be using swap file on your HDD. Also RAM speed really doesn't matter and CPU speed isn't very critical if you have a CPU from the last couple generations with at least 12 threads ( 6 core 12 threads ). I have set up my i7 10700 so it would run ultra low power (thus low frequency) and never saw where it bottle necked my AMD 5700 that is flashed to a 5700XT bios and OC'd. I have also ran my RAM with different settings between 3200 and 4000 and have never seen any difference in FPS or loading/stutters/popping.
    Hi Major,

I beg to differ. If you have more RAM, of course the system will use it, but having more than 16Gb of RAM will not improve speeds at all. RAM speed however will improve things because the speed with which data is transferred and thus handled is higher. I.e. more but lower speed RAM will be a bottleneck compared to less RAM at higher speeds. Games/programs like P3D/MSFS predominantly depend on CPU/GPU/RAM speeds for perfomance. Of course, having a decent PCIe hard disk helps wonders.

Have a nice evening!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Hi Major,

I beg to differ. If you have more RAM, of course the system will use it, but having more than 16Gb of RAM will not improve speeds at all. RAM speed however will improve things because the speed with which data is transferred and thus handled is higher. I.e. more but lower speed RAM will be a bottleneck compared to less RAM at higher speeds. Games/programs like P3D/MSFS predominantly depend on CPU/GPU/RAM speeds for perfomance. Of course, having a decent PCIe hard disk helps wonders.

Have a nice evening!

Priller
    When I start a flight in MSFS I can watch my Ram Usage go up from say 9GB to 30+ GB which tells me the program is looking at the textures, objects, and data that will be needed for the flight I am loading. It is loading all that data onto the RAM from the Drive I have the program installed on so it is available for use without loading from the Drive during the flight. This should help with freezing or stutters due to loading during the flight.

RAM is much faster then SSDs and is so fast by nature that I am not aware of any situation in MSFS where there is an amount of RAM to be transferred in a given situation that will cause lag in the game which is most likely running at <60 fps. My GPU only has 8GB of RAM and the CPUs typically are never fully loaded so I can't imagine where a person would see a performance gain between slow DDR4 at 24000GB/s and fast DDR4 at 32000GB/s.

I am not saying it isn't possible, but I never experienced it and am curious if you have and what the situation was? Are you sure any lag or stuttering you experience was not caused by transferring of data from HDD to RAM because you are not running enough RAM?

If you are running real high resolutions on a Video Card then the Amount and speed RAM on the GPU do Matter ALOT to be able to run at a decent amount of FPS. The amount of System RAM will also impact performance in this situation also if the GPU is calling for Textures/Data that are not already loaded onto the System RAM and it has to wait for the Textures/Data to be recovered from the HDD ( typically stutters, timeout crashes, or freezes ).

But this is my understanding and I am by no means an expert but I have seen first hand how MSFS/FSX performed differently with different system configurations through the years.
    Major Spittle

When I start a flight in MSFS I can watch my Ram Usage go up from say 9GB to 30+ GB which tells me the program is looking at the textures, objects, and data that will be needed for the flight I am loading. It is loading all that data onto the RAM from the Drive I have the program installed on so it is available for use without loading from the Drive during the flight. This should help with freezing or stutters due to loading during the flight.

RAM is much faster then SSDs and is so fast by nature that I am not aware of any situation in MSFS where there is an amount of RAM to be transferred in a given situation that will cause lag in the game which is most likely running at <60 fps. My GPU only has 8GB of RAM and the CPUs typically are never fully loaded so I can't imagine where a person would see a performance gain between slow DDR4 at 24000GB/s and fast DDR4 at 32000GB/s.

I am not saying it isn't possible, but I never experienced it and am curious if you have and what the situation was? Are you sure any lag or stuttering you experience was not caused by transferring of data from HDD to RAM because you are not running enough RAM?

If you are running real high resolutions on a Video Card then the Amount and speed RAM on the GPU do Matter ALOT to be able to run at a decent amount of FPS. The amount of System RAM will also impact performance in this situation also if the GPU is calling for Textures/Data that are not already loaded onto the System RAM and it has to wait for the Textures/Data to be recovered from the HDD ( typically stutters, timeout crashes, or freezes ).

But this is my understanding and I am by no means an expert but I have seen first hand how MSFS/FSX performed differently with different system configurations through the years.
    Hi again Major,

Well indeed, if and when you start MSFS, you see the use of your RAM go up dramatically. But (there's always a but), you start out by windows using 9Gb before even having started a flight. That is a lot. And the only reason for that is because you have 64 Gb of RAM. It's there, so windows will use it. BTW, as soon as you have more than 16 Gb of RAM, the pagefile (swapfile) is hardly used. The swapfile is what you could call archeology. It stems from days gone by when RAM was a precious commodity. Those days are over.

However, I do stand by my remark about RAM speed vs RAM size. As soon as you have 16 Gb+, RAM speed is a lot more important. Just because of the transfer of data to your CPU.

I'm no expert either, but I do work in IT nowadays, so I do know something about it. Having to work with Micro$oft products for a living, I can say this: Windows is a liar. And it takes everything it can get, be it RAM, CPU or GPU.

But thanks for this conversation, I LOVE to exchange ideas about these things. i'm one of those lucky bastards that was able to turn his hobby into his job.

Take care,

Priller (Jan is the real name)
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Hi again Major,

Well indeed, if and when you start MSFS, you see the use of your RAM go up dramatically. But (there's always a but), you start out by windows using 9Gb before even having started a flight. That is a lot. And the only reason for that is because you have 64 Gb of RAM. It's there, so windows will use it. BTW, as soon as you have more than 16 Gb of RAM, the pagefile (swapfile) is hardly used. The swapfile is what you could call archeology. It stems from days gone by when RAM was a precious commodity. Those days are over.

However, I do stand by my remark about RAM speed vs RAM size. As soon as you have 16 Gb+, RAM speed is a lot more important. Just because of the transfer of data to your CPU.

I'm no expert either, but I do work in IT nowadays, so I do know something about it. Having to work with Micro$oft products for a living, I can say this: Windows is a liar. And it takes everything it can get, be it RAM, CPU or GPU.

But thanks for this conversation, I LOVE to exchange ideas about these things. i'm one of those lucky bastards that was able to turn his hobby into his job.

Take care,

Priller (Jan is the real name)
    Thanks for the good info. I also love exchanging ideas and am still learning (always). First hand knowledge from people that work with the software is always the most valuable and my CS degree is very outdated and was never really put to use, so thanks for the insight. I will keep playing with different things and seeing how it effects gameplay ( I enjoy tweaking hardware and software ).

-Jim
    Major Spittle

Members who have read this thread: 0