First pictures of the PMDG DC-6 for MSFS! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First pictures of the PMDG DC-6 for MSFS!

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    I'm soooo looking forward to this
    JanKees- you are one BIG reason I cannot wait for release- bring on your brushes mate!

C

The other thread was updated, so if you're fond of the Tyrol, go to https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6...omment-4539497

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    Yes Jan- I took the pics, both here and https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6...-dc-6-in-msfs/.
    WOW!! You lucky dog !

Thanks for all the wonderful screenies, Carl, both here and over at avsim, she really looks totally amazing! Love the engine nacelles shots! Not really shown in the videos but is it possible to see engine start-up from external view ? You know, smoke and fire belching... ;-) Can't remember how it was in P3D (can't imagine how long ago that already is or atleast feels like!.. ;-) When it comes to that i have actually not seen any significant smoking start-up event in MSFS at all yet.... We all know that the PMDG crew always go extra miles when it comes to sophisticated detailing, so can you maybe elaborate a bit on the DC-6 external view start-up department, Carl ? ( f.i. can we have keys for the starter switches ?..)

On a side note: did you ever see Michael Palin's doc 'Pole to Pole' ? A.o. they fly from Tierra del Fuego, Argentinië to the Patriot Hills at Antarctica in a DC-6. I have seen the whole documentary many years ago, it's fantastic, but i remember the DC-6 Antarctica flight as the most interesting (of course ;-). If you missed it here is the 8 minutes sequence : https://youtu.be/jW3GB7D1NrQ?t=540

Keep the PMDG DC-6 news coming, Carl. Thank you!

In the engine start tutorial it's noted they're waiting for Asobo to add the emitter controls for engine smoke, PMDG are looking forward to smoke-belching radials too! Still some things to com but sounds like this is going to be breaking all sorts of new ground for MSFS addons and really bringing it into the fore as the next-gen sim
    Live to fly, fly to live. Do or die, ACES HIGH!

CPL(A), Single Pilot Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, tail-wheel, aerobatic, formation
    Category A Flight Instructor with night, aerobatics, spinning, terrain awareness and basic mountain flying endorsements
    General Aviation Flight Examiner
    Chief Flying Instructor for Auckland Aero Club

Jan-

It is an Alpha version and work continues. Thanks for the documentary, I will watch it (as I do anything with antique aeroplanes), most appreciated! Here's something for you from this morning's flight-

C

Carl -

Really grateful to you for posting these pics here - I'm done with Avsim so I wouldn't have seen them otherwise.

Have to say I've enjoyed a lot of the working being done on MSFS - I admire the Working Title guys and I've pushed many buttons in their CJ4 - but this is going to be a homecoming.

DC-6 + AH DC-3 + Twin Otter + rapidly evolving Islander = one extremely happy simmmer.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    Carl -Really grateful to you for posting these pics here - I'm done with Avsim so I wouldn't have seen them otherwise.Have to say I've enjoyed a lot of the working being done on MSFS - I admire the Working Title guys and I've pushed many buttons in their CJ4 - but this is going to be a homecoming.DC-6 + AH DC-3 + Twin Otter + rapidly evolving Islander = one extremely happy simmmer.
    If you haven’t had your fill… there’s more at https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...ort#post127067

The YouTube tutorial series not only convinced me to buy it, they even have me anxious to start cold-and-dark. And I'm not usually a cold-and-dark kind of guy.

The automated flight engineer is perfect, and is a good nod to the realistic situation where a pilot would have help.

Carl -

Just before I saw your post, I was over at the PMDG forum, riding jumpseat on your excellent Tyrolean adventure.

You're making the wait really hard, y'know...

Keep 'em coming!

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post

The automated flight engineer is perfect, and is a good nod to the realistic situation where a pilot would have help.
    I love the AFE. I know I ought to be really hardcore and handle every aspect of the engines and the switchology. And I do, from time to time. But I hate the feeling of being task-saturated. I delegate in real life - why not here? Ninety-something percent of the time, I'm grateful for the assist.

-- Saint-Exupery

I love the AFE. I know I ought to be really hardcore and handle every aspect of the engines and the switchology. And I do, from time to time. But I hate the feeling of being task-saturated. I delegate in real life - why not here? Ninety-something percent of the time, I'm grateful for the assist.
    So many of the vocal sim crowd members are so obsessed with microscopic switchology details and miss the point of flying. Sure, it's cool if you have to figure out how to reset a breaker to fix a broken system or deal with an overheated engine... But some of these guys would want you to have to do everything the prep crew, flight engineer, copilot, and pilot do in order to fly. Nobody has to do all that in real life! Sure, let people experience the different positions. But don't make them be four crewmembers.

CS is doing things right.

The switchology crowd is the reason the combat flight sim market is now tiny compared to what it was (as a percentage of gamers) in the 90s. They were so obsessed about rivet counting and meticulously recreating cooling and electrical systems that they forgot about simulating the excitement of combat. Imagine if 50% of the time spent recreating systems minutiae in DCS was spent on AI and a dynamic campaign... I'm not saying realism isn't important, but that realism could be convincingly simulated with more focus on the full experience.

I've flown a T-34B from the front seat and an F-15D from the back IRL. In neither experience did the switchology figure into the excitement.

I LOVE the level of detail Captain Sim is including. I also love that they have assists so you don't have to spend an hour prepping the plane for flight unless you want to.

She looks stunning!!!
    What a cockpit she has...

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehawk View Post
    In the engine start tutorial it's noted they're waiting for Asobo to add the emitter controls for engine smoke
    Must've been too exited to pick that up that! Thanks, Whitehawk, great to know!

Jan-

It is an Alpha version and work continues.
    Really ? I would've figured it would be Beta for a while by now. What with the coming June release.... Also noticed captain R. talking about the PMDG Beta Hotel.. (not leaving a mint on your pillow anymore.. whatever that means.. ;-)

Btw, thanks very much for your truly inspirational and poetical "Tyrolean Tale of a Transcendental Transport". Well done, Carl,Love It !

Thanks for the documentary, I will watch it (as I do anything with antique aeroplanes), most appreciated!
    Most welcome, Carl. Who knows, maybe one day, we'll have snow blowing back over the wings from the reverse blast looking exactly like that. But lets see about that start-up smoke first. ;-)

Thanks for all the magical screenshots, Carl. Keep 'em coming, captain. As i said, you lucky dog.

Cheers,
    Jan

C

Jan-I am honored I am able to bring some pleasure to your day. Your work has given me so much more.Best- C

Well it seems that we are going to finally have a lot of pistons making noise in our headphones, but I have a doubt, one of the problems of the p3d version was that the fuel configuration was not real like that of the plane in fuel capacity, I hope that this is fixed, for the rest a product that will delight those of us who like watches,

Quote Originally Posted by Pere View Post
    Well it seems that we are going to finally have a lot of pistons making noise in our headphones, but I have a doubt, one of the problems of the p3d version was that the fuel configuration was not real like that of the plane in fuel capacity, I hope that this is fixed, for the rest a product that will delight those of us who like watches,
    As a watch collector I can assure you, you will be delighted

C

Carl -

Just before I saw your post, I was over at the PMDG forum, riding jumpseat on your excellent Tyrolean adventure.

You're making the wait really hard, y'know...

Keep 'em coming!
    Hi Alan,

Good to see you here ! Hope all's well with you and yours.

We had some radial fun back in the 'ol days, didn't we. Almost unbelievable what PMDG has in store for us, éh ?!!... What have we done to deserve this !

Cheers, my friend

The switchology crowd is the reason the combat flight sim market is now tiny compared to what it was (as a percentage of gamers) in the 90s. They were so obsessed about rivet counting and meticulously recreating cooling and electrical systems that they forgot about simulating the excitement of combat. Imagine if 50% of the time spent recreating systems minutiae in DCS was spent on AI and a dynamic campaign... I'm not saying realism isn't important, but that realism could be convincingly simulated with more focus on the full experience.

I've flown a T-34B from the front seat and an F-15D from the back IRL. In neither experience did the switchology figure into the excitement.

I LOVE the level of detail Captain Sim is including. I also love that they have assists so you don't have to spend an hour prepping the plane for flight unless you want to.
    Not looking for to be put into the rivet counter camp but i suppose you mean PMDG here, Denny ?... CS just released their (magnificent) Triple 7 external model for MSFS boarding the default 747 VC..... What's another 7.... That's not doing things right at all ! Like myself you must've been totally overwhelmed and put off of your rocker by the DC-6 videos and screenshots !

Btw, when Carenado released their Bonanza for FS9/FSX many moons ago i bought it but asked them (with not much hope) about the chance of a T-34 Mentor conversion. They said to be already working on it.... One of my fav virtual planes ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere View Post
    As a watch collector I can assure you, you will be delighted

C
    I have never cared for watches, not even swiss, and probabely never will so can i still be licensed as a DC-6 crew member ? I.e. i have totally lost you guys here !

Jan-I am honored I am able to bring some pleasure to your day. Your work has given me so much more.Best- C
    Thank YOU, my friend. 'Some pleasure' might be an understatemend here, Carl. I can safely say i am in a state of XTC ! Ever since your Out Of The Blue Lightning Striking PMDG DC-6 HU ! (not to say that i almost ended up in an ambulance while i watched the first DC-6 videos )

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    I have never cared for watches, not even swiss, and probabely never will so can i still be licensed as a DC-6 crew member ? I.e. i have totally lost you guys here !
    I believe he was referring to the part of the story where I wrote- Henning the FE considered the aeroplane HIS and only allowed the Prima Donna Pilots up front with big watches to “borrow” the aircraft for short periods of time. Henning was instrumental in surveying the original this simulation is based on.It was a subtle reference to the story, I appreciated You will be very pleased Jan... she gets more endearing with each iteration.C

@Jan -

Thanks! Glad to be hanging out in your neighborhood. I'm still around - left the Avsim and A2A forums but I stop by here and post on the MSFS forum as well.

We did indeed have great times. And I'll always be grateful to you for pulling me into yours and Manfred's project. Fantastic experience - and I hope I was able to contribute even if it was only in a fringe kind of way.

Speaking of fantastic experiences - that DC-6 can't get here soon enough.

Am already planning flights...

-- Saint-Exupery

So many of the vocal sim crowd members are so obsessed with microscopic switchology details and miss the point of flying. Sure, it's cool if you have to figure out how to reset a breaker to fix a broken system or deal with an overheated engine... But some of these guys would want you to have to do everything the prep crew, flight engineer, copilot, and pilot do in order to fly. Nobody has to do all that in real life! Sure, let people experience the different positions. But don't make them be four crewmembers.

Couldn't agree more - micromanagement is also an issue in other sims (which U-Boat simulator was it where as captain you had to manage every crewman's sleep schedule?) and wargames. I was grateful to find Panther Games' Command Ops, where you give direct orders two levels down and the AI takes care of the rest.

I didn't buy the A2A Stratocruiser until they added the Captain of the Ship module to it. And I've been happiest in FSX/P3D with the PMDG DC-6 and the Aerosoft Airbus series.

Always happy to share the load with fellow professionals, whether real or AI. And looking forward to more of the same when the Six gets here.

-- Saint-Exupery

Members who have read this thread: 1