Carenado S330/S360 texture/model isssues

Thread: Carenado S330/S360 texture/model isssues

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Carenado S330/S360 texture/model isssues

OK, I'm not a tech whiz but having just installed the Carenado S330-360 aircraft I'm at a loss for what to do next. They both have an auto-installer and both were pointed to FSX. From what I can see the installation completed properly (at least the auto-install said it did) and now when calling the aircraft up for flight all I get is a "flight model not displayed" in a dialog box. The model folder for the 330 has around a dozen or so models listed but none of them in a model file specific to that model - they are just listed in a generic "model" folder. I've never seen an arrangement like this before. Not only that - Carenado has apparently done something new with these aircraft in that there is no documentation listed in the "Carenado" file in the root FSX folder relating to the aircraft as a whole. There are checklists there, there are documents relating to various navigational aids that are in the instrument panels - but nothing like an overview of the instrument panel, for instance. I can't ask for my money back, I feel like Carenado's left me dead in the water on this one. No explanation given for why the flight model would not show up, even after the auto-installer did its thing. What on earth does one have to do to decipher this stuff so the aircraft will show up on the screen?

Hi SSIO1,

did you run the installer and FSX as administrator ?

Sometimes it helps...

lucame

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Yes, two times since after I got this response following the first install I couldn't be sure the installation was done properly in spite of it having an auto-installer. Did it again IAW instructions, exactly. Still getting this result. OTOH the S360 seems to display properly but due to RW events (spouse's cancer treatments) haven't had a chance to verify this. Will try tomorrow during slack time. In mean time have sent this situation to Carenado tech support. Never had an issue w/their aircraft until now but it may cause me to pass up any more purchases.

Carenado Tech Support

I have quite a number of Carenado Aircraft and years ago evaluated new releases for them. They are very good in replying to support problems but being a large company and over in Europe, it takes them a day or two sometimes so do not be discouraged. Did you check the support forum for the 330/360 for help there in the meantime? Also check the aircraft.cfg for the S330 and see what models are specified for which textures for an issue. You can too uninstall it in your Windows Control Panel and re-install it and see if this time it works properly.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Many thanks for your reply. I could not locate an "uninstall" icon so will have to do both manually, apparently. Must turn in shortly but will use your msg as a datum point for taking my own home-grown corrective action on this. I can tell you after checking out the "model" folder in the S330's file I see there are a flock of models listed in there, all showing up as "SD330_whatever." The model folder is just that - "model." The air file is "sd3-30.air". Here's the way the first entry in the aircraft .cfg file shows up:

[fltsim.0]
    title=Carenado SD3-30 WHITE
    sim=sd3-30
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=
    kb_checklists=
    kb_reference=
    atc_id=NONE
    ui_manufacturer="Carenado"
    ui_type=SD3-30
    ui_typerole="Twin Engine TurboProp"
    ui_createdby="Carenado"
    ui_variation="WHITE"
    description=
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_airline=
    atc_flight_number=
    atc_id_color=0000000000
    visual_damage=1

ui_type=SD3-30 and sim entries match the air file. Not sure what else could be wrong here. I should check the main FSX cfg file and see where there are foul-ups in it, there may be a clue there.

BTW I note the aircraft ships w/three different cfg files including one that very clearly indicates it is for FSX/P3D use, and after suitably renaming it I'm currently using it.

Last time I tried this I just let the installer reinstall over the existing installation. Maybe as you suggested I should go through the hassle of uninstalling and starting over with a blank slate. Doing that sometime tomorrow.

Carenado tech support has been contacted already as per your suggestion. No reply yet. I note other folks on this forum are reporting experiencing other problems with other Carenado aircraft. So I'm not alone here, I see. I looked for a patch for a patch for either of these aircraft but couldn't find one on their site so this is something Carenado is going to have to delve into. As previously mentioned I've got at least six other Carenado products installed and they are EXCELLENT in every way. For some reason this time around something went seriously wrong for them, apparently, with these releases.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Carenado Shorts 330 has an auto-installer, of course, and I decided to send the entire download to a folder on my desktop to see what the contents were before the process directs them wherever they need to go on my machine. There is a file located in this package named "DLLCFGFSXNAME.exe" that will not allow me to execute it from its "isolated" location on my desktop. Normally it directs its contents to "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming"; subfolders there hold my FS9 and FSX config files for each iteration of my flight sims. I've noted since attempting to install this thing I've gotten a partial loading of my sim which ends with either a CTD after the aircraft shows on the ramp - any aircraft, not just a Carenado one - and the only way this does not happen is when a stock aircraft, like the powered glider, is selected after which the sim functions fine. Checking the .cfg file for the problematic installation of FSX, I find the .cfg file's "gauges" section is truncated into a very short entry in the cfg file. I can go into the .cfg file after shutdown and edit the .cfg file to reflect the correct contents, which results in a considerably longer cfg file. Therefore, something from this download is screwing up my FSX cfg. file. I wonder what the odds are this will be fixed if I delete the .cfg file as it stands now and let this version of FSX just write a new cfg file when its's restarted?

I did not find any kind of documentation in this download telling the buyer which files to open/execute in which order in order to properly install the panel/avionics content. In fact, after digging through the original FSX version into which this aircraft was downloaded, I discovered the previously-installed version of the above-named file well down in the installation below all the folders and there was nothing at all telling me whether I needed to execute this file on its own - or first rename the aircraft .cfg file provided with the installed download (marked "aircraftFSX.cfg) that indicates the "FSX" in the name should be edited out before use, as it is apparently written for use with an FSX installation. Doing this out of order could result in problems including, presumably, a CTD. This should have been spelled out in the install instructions but for some reason, while there appear to be lots of pdfs relating to avionics issues, there isn't one thing I can find relating to "installation of aircraft," or related wording. It seems one is left on their own. Reference is made to a GNS340 in an avionics file pdf, choice is given for buyer to move to a more advanced avionics suite or use the GNS340 instead. Problem is - there is no file whatsoever in this installation that has "GNS340" on it. So where is it?
    Last edited by SSI01; April 4th, 2021 at 09:58.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    OK, got this during the day from Carenado Tech Support:
    __________________________________________________ _____

Let's make sure you don't have a faulty installation.

Run the aircraft's uninstaller which is located on the simulator's main root folder.
    Download the aircraft again from your account in order to make sure that you are having the last version.
    Make sure that you run the installer with admin privileges, by right clicking the installer and selecting "run as administrator", and that you disable any antivirus, firewall, windows defender and even download manager before running the installer.

If you are using FSX

Make sure you click on "Yes" and "Run" when the simulator prompts you the first time you load the aircraft.
    Also, you may try to reinstall acceleration pack or SP2 over your actual installation of FSX.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Tied up w/RW stuff most of the day yesterday and it's 0106 locally; RW again early in the AM so won't get to this until likely tomorrow in the afternoon (hopefully) or maybe even Wed. I work mids on Tues and Fri. We'll take this from the very basics as they say and see what happens.

Members who have read this thread: 0