Dave Garwood's Hunters

Thread: Dave Garwood's Hunters

Dave Garwood's Hunters

One of the most beautiful aircraft ever built: The Hawker Hunter.

Dave Garwood made a nearly complete series covering nearly all models. However I'm not able to install them anymore. When I run the automatic installer in creates an empty folder inside the aircraft folder and the installation ends in several error messages. I think Windows10 doesn't allow the way the installer works.

I have looked at Classic British Flight Sim site, but the single seat FS9 models are not longer available there. I managed to save the F6 version from my old PC.

Any hints or tips?

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub, send me a pm with your email-adress and I'll send you all Dave's Hunters you need/want.

hertzie

I installed at least some of Dave Garwood's Hunter packages under Win10 and did not have any problems.

Whenever possible if something comes with an installer I will install it into a temporary folder and then move everything manually into my flightsim installation.

So I exactly see what comes with the installer and where it goes.

Sometimes it is necessary to copy the fs9.exe into this temporary folder to pretend the actual location is there.

I also do not have my flightsim installation in in the default folder (program files?) but on a separate drive.

I think I have read somewhere that installing FS9 in the default location can cause problems with user account rights (write protected folders...).

When I remember correctly you should find all the hunter packages at AVSIM or flightsim.com.

The filenames are

huntpak1.zip
    huntpak2.zip
    huntpak3.zip
    huntpak4.zip
    huntpak5.zip
    huntpak6.zip

huntert.zip

I also have a file Hunter_FR10.zip but I do not know where it came from (maybe from the library here).
    Hartwig
    __________________________________________________ _____________

There all up at Flightsim Huub, i have a version installed in my FS9, when i need a jet fix

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciated. But I already had all the files from flightsim. However the problem is the installer which does not run correctly at my (new) Windows10 machine. I had some hope that CBFS perhaps had recognised the problems and made the file available with a different installer.

I will have a try on my old PC and see whether the installer runs on this 12 year old machine. If not I will contact Herzie.

In return I have this (quick and dirty) repaint for you (all) of a Dutch Hawker Hunter with the (forbidden) morning star flag from West Papua on the tail.

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks for all your help, but I got it working. "Run as administrator" was of course the thing I should have thought about much earlier.......

Cheers,
    Huub

As said: One of the most beautiful aircraft ever built!

And a dream to work on, as I did at Anthony Fokker school many many years ago....

hertzie

Glad you figured out the issue, Huub.

While we are talking about the Hunters: Has anybody upgraded the VC textures?

What I mean is that the current textures are smaller than 1024 pixels. So by increasing the texture size to 1024 the resolution could be increased and more details could be added.
    I am especially thinking of the side consoles and the ejection seat.

I have already collected some reference material and I am planning to do such an upgrade.
    Hartwig
    __________________________________________________ _____________

@hawk_sh: I simply should have used my brains in an earlier stage and I would definitely appreciate such an upgrade. Especially the side panels could use an upgrade.

@Herzie: the aircraft also looks very well engineered and manufactured. But I can recall the KLu had some serious problems with the rods from the control surfaces from the early F.4 model. I can't remember the Dutch Hunters anymore as they were already replaced by the Starfighter in 1963.

Cheers,
    huub

Quote Originally Posted by hertzie View Post
    And a dream to work on, as I did at Anthony Fokker school many many years ago....

hertzie

Until you catch your head on the ' spike' in the main gear bay ( if you know, you know), I worked on live ones in RAF,
    T7 with Buccaneer IFIS instrument display

Ttfn

Pete

DG Hawker Hunter F4 RNAF Biak 1962

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Military skins - Cold War

Description: This is a repaint for the excellent Hawker Hunter F4 by Dave Garwood and team. The model can be found at Flightsim.com (huntpak2.zip). The repaint depicts the Hawker Hunter N-110 from 322 squadron as it flew from Biak, Netherland New Guinea (today part of Indonesia). It was one of the two aircraft which flew with the currrently forbidden Morning Star flag from West Papua on the tail.

I used the paintkit supplied by Dave Garwood and the wonderful tool dtxbmp by Martin Wright.

Enjoy,
    Huub Vink
    March 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit DG Hawker Hunter F4 RNAF Biak 1962
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

For those who want it, it's available in the library now. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...RNAF-Biak-1962

Not really the best part of history and the even after all these years the matter is still not solved.

And the real thing

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks Huub,

For those of us that don't know what is the back story to
    the tail flag being banned?

Ttfn

Pete

Like Indonesia, Netherlands West Papua was part of the former Netherlands East Indies. When Indonesia became an independent state, no decision was taken about the future status of West Papua. The Dutch had promised the Papuans an independent state in time, while Indonesia expected it was seen as part of their territory. Elections for a representative council were organised by the Dutch and the Council's inaugurations on 5 April 1961 were attended by Australia, France, the Netherlands, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and other Pacific Forum nations with exception of the United States. During the inauguration the morning star flag designed by the Papuan leader Nicolaas Jouwe was raised for the first time.

As Indonesia saw the area a part of Indonesia they started to send troops towards the area, on which the Dutch reacted by sending troops as well. Among them a large amount of Hawker Hunters.

The United States had fear Indonesia would move towards communism and a strong lobby was done in the United Nations to get the administration of West New Guinea transferred to Indonesia. This resulted in the New York agreement signed on 21 September 1962 in which was agreed that the area would be transferred to Indonesia, and according which the UN would monitor the situation for 7 years. However nothing happened after this 7 years and New Papua remained part of Indonesia and the Papuans remain fighting for their independence since.

Two Papuan men, Filep Karma and Yusak Pakage, were sentenced to 15 and 10 year sentences for raising the Morningstar flag in Jayapura in 2004. Today it is allowed to raise the Morningstar flag, but only in combination with the Indonesian flag, which should be raised higher.

The conflict goes much deeper and is too complex to explain here in a few sentences. And should also be seen in the light of the second world war, in which the Indonesian supported the Japanese and the Papuans the Allied Forces and the whole aftermath should be seen in the light of the cold war.

As this is the Dutch version, or at least more or less what I learned at school, so it could be biased. When I served in the Royal Netherland Air Force I had several close colleagues who had served in Biak. At that time in Biak they were hardly aware what the reason for their presence was and they had a strong feeling they were protecting the independence of the Papuans. Which was the reason why the Papuan flag was painted on the tail of some of these Hunters. As these Hunters were now flying under a "strange flag" this was of course seen as a provocation by the Indonesians and nearly caused an international incident. Therefore 322 squadron was asked not to continue with repainting the tails.

Cheers,
    Huub

This is an excellent example of the very interesting historical matters that most of us would never have learned if we weren't involved with model airplanes!

Thanks for the history lesson!

Members who have read this thread: 2