HP Reverb G2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP Reverb G2

Blog Entries

HP Reverb G2

I just received my new HP Reverb G2 VR system and watched a 10 minute video on setting it up. I have one question. Do I need to get a Steam account for MSFS, P3D and DCS? I do not have MSFS from Valve. It was downloaded direct from the Store.

I have no plans, at this time, for games other than flight simulation on this computer.

Thanks,
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I just received my new HP Reverb G2 VR system and watched a 10 minute video on setting it up. I have one question. Do I need to get a Steam account for MSFS, P3D and DCS? I do not have MSFS from Valve. It was downloaded direct from the Store.

I have no plans, at this time, for games other than flight simulation on this computer.

Thanks,
    The only account you'll need is the one where you bought it from the MS store. So, no you don't need those others. Any updates that come down, will require you to go to the MS store first and install the base game, aroung 1gig. Then once running FS, the installer for the major updates (often multiple gigs), will commence. Have fun. Looking forward to your report on the HP.

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Thanks,
    For MSFS no (only WMR software from Windows 10), but for P3D and for DCS you need SteamVR+SteamVR WMR so yes, you need the account of Steam.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Wait before you use steam, check out OpenXR. I use it and it's great, one less app you need running with MSFS in VR.

OpenXR - Mixed Reality | Microsoft Docs

LouP

Just to clarify the good info here:

1) For MSFS, nothing from Steam is needed. The sim uses OpenXR for VR graphics.

You might want to download the OpenXR tool, which lets you optimize your VR settings:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/op...y/9n5cvvl23qbt

2) For DCS and P3D, you do need Steam, because those use SteamVR for VR graphics.

You will need two downloads from Steam:

SteamVR:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/250820/SteamVR/

Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/7...y_for_SteamVR/

The only time you'll have to use Steam for anything is to adjust/optimize SteamVR settings.

Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone. I have the headset working with DCS. Oh My Gosh. It is like I am back in the cockpit. I never realized just how much I use my depth perception while flying. I was able to attach myself to the wing of an AI F-16 and hang on. Not as smooth as I would like, but not bad after 40 years out of the cockpit and 73 year old reflexes.

I am still working out the kinks with P3D. It works but not as smoothly as DCS. I still can't load MSFS, so I haven't been able to test it out yet.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Glad to see you got your helmet working with the other sims at least
    Concerning P3D, as far as I remember, it was always difficult to fly close formations because of the other planes jumping back and forth due to connection lag.
    This, plus how difficult it was to just get connected together :/

For MSFS, you said the sim is not loading at all ? Means you can't even reach the menu ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Glad to see you got your helmet working with the other sims at least
    Concerning P3D, as far as I remember, it was always difficult to fly close formations because of the other planes jumping back and forth due to connection lag.
    This, plus how difficult it was to just get connected together :/

For MSFS, you said the sim is not loading at all ? Means you can't even reach the menu ?
    Nope, it loads up to almost the end. Then it CTD and I get a MS error box. I am trying Danny A's suggestions, as I write this.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

John

There is a thing about a regedit fix to help with OpenXR but I found this that talks about not having to do regedit and using SteamVR instead. Read thru this thread and see if that will help.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...instead/323323
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Zoren View Post
    John

There is a thing about a regedit fix to help with OpenXR but I found this that talks about not having to do regedit and using SteamVR instead. Read thru this thread and see if that will help.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...instead/323323
    Boy that was confusing as heck to me. I never did anything to my registry and steam vr never opens when in VR mode. I've seen changes I made to OpenXR take place in VR so I'm pretty sure that is what is controlling my headset (without the registry hack).

LouP

jmig, if you use Discord I can link a channel that covers VR for all platforms and headsets. I'm a new VR user with a G2 and got the base settings there, though still tweaking at least for DCS. Not on MSFS yet and haven't run VR in P3Dv4.5. As a longtime TrackIR user, very first VR run in DCS and my jaw dropped as I sat in the Tomcat!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    jmig, if you use Discord I can link a channel that covers VR for all platforms and headsets. I'm a new VR user with a G2 and got the base settings there, though still tweaking at least for DCS. Not on MSFS yet and haven't run VR in P3Dv4.5. As a longtime TrackIR user, very first VR run in DCS and my jaw dropped as I sat in the Tomcat!
    Yes, I visit Discord. I would be interested in the channel. I have it working well in DCS. I agree on the jaw dropping. I flew in P3D V5 this morning and it worked okay, but I am not totally satisfied with the graphics. It seems slightly out of focus except close in. I guess I have some tweaking to do.

I am frustrated with Stem and that stupid MS Mixed reality. Even through I set my Xbox game controller to work, it only wants the blasted HP controllers which eat batteries for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

jmig,

I bought these rechargeables based on recommendations on the HP Reverb G2 community website. They're great and don't suffer the low voltage issues you see with NiMH or Eneloops on the G2 controllers.

https://amzn.to/31fUXkU

I got the 8 pack so that I always have four charged as well as the four in the controllers.

Hi John, sorry for the dumb question, I'm just not sure I understood your situation correctly: does your MSFS crash only in VR, or does it also crash in normal screen display mode ?
    In the later case, is your "community" folder empty ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    jmig,

I bought these rechargeables based on recommendations on the HP Reverb G2 community website. They're great and don't suffer the low voltage issues you see with NiMH or Eneloops on the G2 controllers.

https://amzn.to/31fUXkU

I got the 8 pack so that I always have four charged as well as the four in the controllers.
    Oh, I have tons of rechargeable batteries. It I am surprised and disappointed with how quickly they get used up. The ones that came with them lasted only a few hours the first day. I put fresh batteries in yesterday. They didn't last the day. I think it may be those stupid LEDs. Anyone know how to turn them off?

I am trying to learn how to do without the controllers and just use the mouse or Xbox controller. However, I gert this vast purple desert and distant mountains screen and can't get the SteamVr hub back to resume the DCS.

P3D doesn't seen to be so bad, because I can operate within its menu bar. P3D, however, doesn't seem to be as immersive as DCS.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Hi John, sorry for the dumb question, I'm just not sure I understood your situation correctly: does your MSFS crash only in VR, or does it also crash in normal screen display mode ?
    In the later case, is your "community" folder empty ?
    It crashed before I got the Reverb. It started crashing when I got the last update. I have tried Repair, Reset, and Uninstall. After Reset and Uninstall I had to redownload everything. Before it would give me an error message and I could see an Event log after CTDing. Now, it just stops and freezes with the New Activities splash screen.

No matter, IMO other than the pretty graphics MSFS mostly sucks. It is a game and nothing more. DCS and P3D offer more in the flight handling. I can trim an airplane and it just flies in the later two sims. In MSFS, I mostly find it impossible to trim. I look down to flip a switch and when I look up I am heading rapidly downward to my virtual death. It takes the fun out of it.

I renamed the Community folder and on the first reinstall a new Community folder was created. It is empty.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Hmm ok, I thought you had some addon that could prevent the sim from working, but you did everything right already, so we can forget about that.
    So it crashes even before you can reach the flight creation menu, right ?
    Anyways, you are totally right when you say this sim is "not ready yet". It has however quite a few enjoyable things and I'm really sorry it won't let you enjoy them :/

jmig
    Maybe MSFS is a bit of an untidy uninstaller and left a few things in place that are the cause of your startup problems, I know FSX could be like that sometimes.

I had a trawl through my system which has a Windows Store version of MSFS on it and found a few folders in some surprising places.

C:\ProgramData\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_ 8wekyb3d8bbwe
    C:\Users\{your name}\AppData\Local\FlightSimulator
    C:\Users\{your name}\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimul ator_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.5 .0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

I think I found everything but who knows.

If your up for one more attempt at a fresh install before totally giving up on it maybe make sure that all these folders are definitely gone after the initial uninstall.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    Wait before you use steam, check out OpenXR. I use it and it's great, one less app you need running with MSFS in VR.

OpenXR - Mixed Reality | Microsoft Docs

LouP
    Lou, Two...maybe three days and I am frustrated with SteamVR and Mixed whatever. Looking at this OpenXR and it looks like a programming app? After all I am trying to learn, this old man doesn't need something else to confuse him. Is this a replacement, like out of the box, for SteamVR? Or, is it something with a lot of potential, provided you know how to program it?
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    jmig
    Maybe MSFS is a bit of an untidy uninstaller and left a few things in place that are the cause of your startup problems, I know FSX could be like that sometimes.

I had a trawl through my system which has a Windows Store version of MSFS on it and found a few folders in some surprising places.

C:\ProgramData\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_ 8wekyb3d8bbwe
    C:\Users\{your name}\AppData\Local\FlightSimulator
    C:\Users\{your name}\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimul ator_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.5 .0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

I think I found everything but who knows.

If your up for one more attempt at a fresh install before totally giving up on it maybe make sure that all these folders are definitely gone after the initial uninstall.
    Thanks for the advice. I saved it for possible future reference.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

OpenXR (actually "OpenXR development tools") is in fact a small program and some libraries for VR.
    That program will simply help you to configure a few settings for the VR, that's all. Nothing to program here
    You can download it by searching for "OpenXR" in the MS Store application. I use it and I would recommend you to use it as well, although this is probably not going to solve your startup issues with the sim...

From a "Windows" configuration point of view, there is just a registry key to check and adjust if necessary:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Khronos\1
    the "Active Runtime" item value should be set to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\MixedRealityRuntime.json" (if that is matching your Windows install path).

Lou, Two...maybe three days and I am frustrated with SteamVR and Mixed whatever. Looking at this OpenXR and it looks like a programming app? After all I am trying to learn, this old man doesn't need something else to confuse him. Is this a replacement, like out of the box, for SteamVR? Or, is it something with a lot of potential, provided you know how to program it?
    Think of Open XR as a driver for your headset. You install it adjust your settings and no need to open it again. Kind of like nVidia drivers only for WMR. Everything was a lot smoother after I switched to that from Steam.

I'm not young either! ;-)

Get it here and install.

https://windowsreport.com/download-openxr/

LouP

Blog Entries
    I installed it. All I got was a Demo of floating rocks. I don't know if it is doing anything?

Daube, I will check the Registry key.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

jmig,
    It's the VR4DCS channel, but covers MSFS as well.

https://discord.gg/SPGnZUuY
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    jmig,
    It's the VR4DCS channel, but covers MSFS as well.

https://discord.gg/SPGnZUuY
    Thank you for the link. I joined it. Looks like I am in for some reading.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Members who have read this thread: 0