Sceney Issues

Thread: Sceney Issues

Sceney Issues

On one of my Installs, when I go to Free Flight, half the objects are in the water on Bases near the shorelines but other objects are not and the other issue is when I select a base and try to load the Scenery, I get a CTD. This happens though only maybe 2% of the time. For the most part when I go to FF or QC, it doesn't happen at all and the scenery where it does happen is Add-On, not stock. I tried rearranging the Scenery in the Library, but that doesn't seem to work. Any ideas on the cause of the above and how to fix it would be appreciated.

So little info on which to go on

Are you using stock mesh or Rhumbas new world mesh?
    Any watermasks in use? Are these new or old?
    Does the CTD happen at the same base - which base?

Waterlogged bases - sounds like you're using Rhumbas new watermasks with a scenery package that is much older - as such the scenery will work best with a stock install.

CTD - I've had occasional issues with older add-on bases under WIN 7 when these same bases loaded fine when created (under WIN XP) - it might be the scenery bgls need to be refined, maybe XP was more forgiving than later OS for elevation issues, misaligned or "unsquare" background bitmaps. But unless we know which base, we'll never fix it.
    More likely is it's just one of CFS 2's occasional hissy fits , it never did like too many things being changed/added between flights

Scenery Issues

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    So little info on which to go on

Are you using stock mesh or Rhumbas new world mesh?
    Any watermasks in use? Are these new or old?
    Does the CTD happen at the same base - which base?

Waterlogged bases - sounds like you're using Rhumbas new watermasks with a scenery package that is much older - as such the scenery will work best with a stock install.

CTD - I've had occasional issues with older add-on bases under WIN 7 when these same bases loaded fine when created (under WIN XP) - it might be the scenery bgls need to be refined, maybe XP was more forgiving than later OS for elevation issues, misaligned or "unsquare" background bitmaps. But unless we know which base, we'll never fix it.
    More likely is it's just one of CFS 2's occasional hissy fits , it never did like too many things being changed/added between flights
    I am using Rhumbas mesh, but not his new watermasks and I think I am using some newer masks in the install. I'll check on that. The Scenery in question is from your Marshalls Scenery on Kwajalein and another Base from that Scenery. The CTD is from MR Papua New Guinea Borbase Island but on two of other installs this Scenery loaded fine. Thanks for replying to me about my problem. It should help me to try and fix it on my own. I let you know what happens. My OS is Win8.1 for you info.

Icon27 You could also....

Yo Steven:

You could also:

Open the main CFS2 folder
    Locate the file: ERROR.log
    Open it with Notepad
    Read the reason for the crash.

This is the easiest way to locate most problems.

I hope this it is of some help.
    Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

Scenery Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Steven KLein View Post
    I am using Rhumbas mesh, but not his new watermasks and I think I am using some newer masks in the install. I'll check on that. The Scenery in question is from your Marshalls Scenery on Kwajalein and another Base from that Scenery. The CTD is from MR Papua New Guinea Borbase Island but on two of other installs this Scenery loaded fine. Thanks for replying to me about my problem. It should help me to try and fix it on my own. I let you know what happens. My OS is Win8.1 for you info.
    Still get Objects in the Water in the Kwajalein and Eniwitok Islands Bases. Nothing I do seems to fix it. As of now, I just won't use those 2 bases for anything.

Library Staff
    Steven,

If you can post your scenery.cfg file here, we can probably sort it out.

Kevin

Sounds like a watermask hierarchy issue, or you're using a PTO watermask layer when you don't need to (my 2020 Marshalls came complete with all the watermaskes & scenery excludes you need, so no need to have any other watermasks active).

Scenery Issues

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Sounds like a watermask hierarchy issue, or you're using a PTO watermask layer when you don't need to (my 2020 Marshalls came complete with all the watermaskes & scenery excludes you need, so no need to have any other watermasks active).
    I did some checking since I originally posted my problem. I am using Rhumba Mesh Set LOD 5,7 and 8 and as far as I can tell, no Watermasks at all, either old or newer in the Install where I have some of the Infrastructure in the water . Also, I have not yet Installed the GSL Scenery in this Install. Your scenery looks great, I wish that part of it would'nt be waterlogged. Could something else in my Install be causing a problem with the Coastlines? I still have the Stock Scenery for Kwajelain Airbase in the Install and when I go the Base on Free Flight my Plane is not on the Runway but gets placed in the Air over the Base. Hope the above gives you more information about my problem. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven KLein View Post
    I did some checking since I originally posted my problem. I am using Rhumba Mesh Set LOD 5,7 and 8 and as far as I can tell, no Watermasks at all, either old or newer in the Install where I have some of the Infrastructure in the water . Also, I have not yet Installed the GSL Scenery in this Install. Your scenery looks great, I wish that part of it would'nt be waterlogged. Could something else in my Install be causing a problem with the Coastlines? I still have the Stock Scenery for Kwajelain Airbase in the Install and when I go the Base on Free Flight my Plane is not on the Runway but gets placed in the Air over the Base. Hope the above gives you more information about my problem. Thanks.
    I just Kwajelain scenery last week with no problems.

You issue with the objects in the water is because you didn't put in the GSL scenery yet.When you do that they will replace the other objects and be put in the right area.Remember the new scenery has been relocated and the old objects are not.

Since you still have stock Kwajelain scenery installed this causes the plane to be in the air and not at base.

If you did everything according to the readme everything should be in place.I think you may have missed something,so recheck everything.

TheBookie

Scenery Issues

Quote Originally Posted by TheBookie View Post
    I just Kwajelain scenery last week with no problems.

You issue with the objects in the water is because you didn't put in the GSL scenery yet.When you do that they will replace the other objects and be put in the right area.Remember the new scenery has been relocated and the old objects are not.

Since you still have stock Kwajelain scenery installed this causes the plane to be in the air and not at base.

If you did everything according to the readme everything should be in place.I think you may have missed something,so recheck everything.

TheBookie
    Adding the GSL Scenery did the trick. Thanks so Much! I'll still use the Older Scenery for Free Flight over the Airbases.

Members who have read this thread: 1