RAF Brüggen: Converting to FSX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RAF Brüggen: Converting to FSX

RAF Brüggen: Converting to FSX

Hi,

today I started with the converting of RAF Brüggen for FSX.

Seems to be a lot of work, because many objects actually were built for P3Dv4.5.
    But on the other hand, several objects already appear well against expectation. Seasonal textures and custom groundpolygons not ready yet...

Many SODE comments already working well....

Best regards, Manfred.

Well, thank you Manfred! I'm sure I wasn't the only one hoping you would!

Bob
    Greenhouse357

Thanks for all your efforts Manfred. It already looks to bring back memories.

Paul Day
    Ex Jaguar rigger 1980-1983

This is way more than great news! In a time when many developers have abandoned FSX, you are carrying through with this monumental task. As I said before, RAF Gutersloh in the FS9 version was the crowning achievement in scenery and realistic immersion in that sim. My thanks go out to you on behalf of many simmers.

Thank You

Beautiful Work!!! I can't wait for you to be finished as a continuing FSXer. I have a number of Robert's RAF Jets and looking forward to trying them out here. Those like Paul who WERE actually here, did the USAF fly anything in and out of here, post-WWII?

Hi,

thank you. Yes, some visitors form the USAF had been there - mostly from german US airbases, but rarely some aircraft from the United States as well like a F-117A for example.
    Best regards, Manfred.

Okay, currently I make some good advances. Buildings appear like they should and I get my first groundpolys into FSX. There is still a lot of work to do because a lot of groundpolys are still missing and night lighting also. Several effects have to be attached etc etc. But some parts already are close to the P3Dv4 version....

Best regards, Manfred.

Looks really beautiful Manfred! Thanks for all you efforts.

Cheers,
    Huub

Usaf ok

Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    Hi,

thank you. Yes, some visitors form the USAF had been there - mostly from german US airbases, but rarely some aircraft from the United States as well like a F-117A for example.
    Sounds Good. Probably I would assume C-130s from Ramstein.

The main visitors I remember were European air forces, my favourite were the Greek A-7's. I went to Eindhoven to do a Ground handling course which included F-16's F-5's Mirages and F-104's which was interesting. December was interesting. I can remember Nimrods, Hawks, Tucanos and Phantoms turning up , making a bee line to the NAFFI and Rheindahlen and cramming every available space with alcohol and ciggies and then shooting off home.Good memories.

Paul Day.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Sounds Good. Probably I would assume C-130s from Ramstein.
    Yap, Ramstein or Spangdahlem will be good bases to start from. There are lots of great aircraft (C-130 as you mentioned), F-16, Galaxy, Starlifter and Warthogs etc. but also Sentry's from Geilenkirchen for doing lots of touch&go's.
    Best regards, Manfred.

Quote Originally Posted by paul day View Post
    The main visitors I remember were European air forces, my favourite were the Greek A-7's. I went to Eindhoven to do a Ground handling course which included F-16's F-5's Mirages and F-104's which was interesting. December was interesting. I can remember Nimrods, Hawks, Tucanos and Phantoms turning up , making a bee line to the NAFFI and Rheindahlen and cramming every available space with alcohol and ciggies and then shooting off home.Good memories.

Paul Day.
    Vulcans were the past masters at doing that -- although I believe they stuck more to Wildenrath. "That's what the bomb bay is for...".

Dave

Thank you for this conversion!!
    The more you do, the less you dream

Cool

I have Captsim's C130 which I will resurrect waiting for your completion.

Yap, Ramstein or Spangdahlem will be good bases to start from. There are lots of great aircraft (C-130 as you mentioned), F-16, Galaxy, Starlifter and Warthogs etc. but also Sentry's from Geilenkirchen for doing lots of touch&go's.
    Manschy, your Bruggen scenery in P3Dv4 has opened a whole new world for me. Having a blast learning the region and just did some mods to Henk's RAF Willdenrath (FSX scenery here in the library) and have AI flights doing circuits around both fields. What's cool about the period is the cross nation visitors from around NATO, USAF Europe, RAF and aircraft from eg Belgium, Holland and Canada making visits. As a plus, in Active Sky the weather over this part of Germany is truly awful much of the time right now!

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    Vulcans were the past masters at doing that -- although I believe they stuck more to Wildenrath. "That's what the bomb bay is for...".

Dave
    Buccaneers were even better at that, besides the bomb bay, there was also the rear hatch, and hyd bay to stash er, stuff

Ttfn

Pete

Ex Bucc rigger 1981-83
    Q-ABC-A

Expat,

thank you so much for sharing this shot. Really few people until now show the scenery with its effects and special additionals.
    I like the amound of visitors in your version - that's a real heavy AI traffic. Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Manschy, your Bruggen scenery in P3Dv4 has opened a whole new world for me. Having a blast learning the region and just did some mods to Henk's RAF Willdenrath (FSX scenery here in the library) and have AI flights doing circuits around both fields. What's cool about the period is the cross nation visitors from around NATO, USAF Europe, RAF and aircraft from eg Belgium, Holland and Canada making visits. As a plus, in Active Sky the weather over this part of Germany is truly awful much of the time right now!

Best regards, Manfred.

It's getting better and better.

Most grounds are back...

Most details are back...

Atmosphere is coming back...

Nightlighting is still a problem, also seasonal periods. And funnily - when I add some buildings, others disappear. These issues I have to solve as well...
    Done a big step this week, but the more details to work at, the more effort to do I assume...
    Best regards, Manfred.

The scenery looks great, Manfred!
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

SOH-CM-2021
    My wife's sister's husband was stationed here in the 10970's. He was a propulsion engineer on the Jaguars. We visited them a few times, and I seem to remember that missiles could be seen from the public road that ran through the village. Primed and ready to go I believe.

Den.

Better and better

I love the lorry on the road. Is it a driveable vehicle to navigate around the base or is it a static vehicle? After I finished my "crowning achievement" in scenery a couple years ago, I loved driving around the base on all the roads and housing neighborhoods I added to it. Like you I even added traffic signs on poles and on the road as I could see in the photos. The government created 100's of pages of reports with photos of the entire base which was still intact when after closing down in the 1990's for the state of California and city of Oakland which was given the base. Even the type of trees on the streets was specified. It was the greatest source of material ever for a scenery creator. I have never had anything like it since minus a few occasions with personal help from a person who worked at the particular airport and was kind enough to furnish photos from their phone of what I couldn't see or find. There are still nice, helpful people in the world.

From my very vague memories the missiles belonged to 25 Squadron operating Bloodhound missiles. I remember there was also a railway track, but I forgot why it was there. Too much time spent at the rugby club and the families club I suspect.

Regards Paul Day.

The base represents the end of the 80s, early 90s. The 25 sqn moved to RAF Wyton in 1983, so my scenery comes without these missile stations unfortunately.

But the railwaytrack I use indeed, with some nice details on its end:

The lorry you can see on the previous screens is a drivable model, a german Mercedes Benz Unimog Truck which is developped by Mitsuya Hamaguchi (nickname is hama) who designed a lot more of interesting vehicles for FS9 ans FSX.
    Here is the download link to the model:

https://simviation.com/fsxmisc6.htm

But if you have a search inside the net, you will find a lot more of his cool models with
    what you can do nice expeditions around all your preferred airbases....
    Best regards, Manfred.

Trouble

I had trouble (I don't know why) downloading from your link. It went to Simviation but...anyway. I opened up simviation fresh and did a search for unimog and found a better download updated for FSX and for the Belgian Unimog which comes with 3 different textures for it. FYI. Thank you. I look forward to driving all over. After WWII did the British Forces drive the Willys Jeeps? Here is the download over at AVSIM for FSX.

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.ph...sc&DLID=178748

I kinda found my own answer in Google...Land Rover Defender...which you can find at AVSIM as well. It will need to be tweaked though I think for RAF/RN/RA service since it is civilian repaint right now.

The Unimog for FSX is awesome visually, but in FS9 it had diesel motor sounds instead of the C172 engine it has in the FSX download. Is there a fix for this? The Simviation link is dead.

Members who have read this thread: 8