Cloud computing

Thread: Cloud computing

Icon9 Cloud computing

Cloud computing is a way to have a backup location or host a business, but it's not perfect - especially when the 'cloud' turns out to be smoke at a major Data Center. Among other organizations, this was a host site for Mech Warrior. Have you got a "Disaster Recovery Plan?

Via Twitter...

TheAviationHistorian

@AvHistorian
    Having problems ordering issues/subscriptions from our website today? Our service provider's data centre in Strasbourg burnt down this morning
    Should be sorted soon, but in the meantime we can still take orders by phone
    More at: https://twitter.com/search?q=strasbo...ypeahead_click

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Never have archived to the cloud. Who has access to your information?

You know what they say about "the cloud" ... it's just somebody else's computer...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    You know what they say about "the cloud" ... it's just somebody else's computer...
    Bingo! Good reason for me to continue to keep my own backups on external drives.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Bingo! Good reason for me to continue to keep my own backups on external drives.
    Fine and dandy until you experience 2, yes 2!! Western Digital My Drive HD's fail within 2 weeks of each other, and they weren't that old (less than 4 years more than one) . Curses! Lost a ton of stuff. Mostly irreplaceable photos and family videos - some FSX payware stuff.

What is the solution? I suppose my fault not splashing out on a NAS system.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    What is the solution?
    Multiple backups on different types of storage devices.

My mentor used to say "back up, and back up your backup". I think adding a third level of backup is wise enough.

Backing up the back up is not a bad idea.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Backups of backups are not a bad idea at all. I backed up all my flightsim files to a NAS drive I have today. Tomorrow I backup all my music, movies and everything else! NC

FWIW I've had one external drive fail in some ten years and I managed to recover 99% of my important (to me) files.
    Given the reasonable cost of external drives I've backed up my backups, a 4TB Seagate costs around A$200+/- loose change, cheap insurance.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

It is the modern view on things. Even large companies and organisations use application like "one drive" by Microsoft to store their documents and distribute their documents via services like "WeTranser".

It seems to be the waves of lives. After 7 years of centralising we will have 7 years of decentralising. I can still remember the times we rooms filed with large 19"racks which we called the mainframe. We all had terminals to get to the data on these mainframes. As we soon all needed applications which couldn't run on a mainframe we switched to the early IBM AT and XT machines and either we used a useless application like Concurrent Dos to connect us or we had a simple simple server with a 170 Mb hard disk to put our shared files on.

But soon the 7 years of centralisation would start again and suddenly our files were somewhere on a server in a remote country and our helpdesk was suddenly located somewhere in India.

As the remote servers didn't allow any flexibility we soon started to introduce our own XT servers and as it is a long way from India to replace some hardware, the local help desks were introduced again.

I'm getting old as I think I have gone through this cycle at least 4 times now. As said it's the wave of life so I simply accept it and use applications like Google drive and Dropbox. Most software however is still on my PC. And I don't really worry about the security risks. Worrying makes you unhappy and I don't have that much to hide and in a large digital world the things I like to hide are not more than a drop of water in the ocean.

One thing worries me a bit, my wife is a nurse and here is work e-mail is well protected as it might contain medical information. Before she can access here e-mail she has to ask Microsoft to supply her a verification code to allow her to enter her e-mail. Can somebody explain why we can trust Microsoft for this?

Cheers,
    Huub

PS like Wombat I have several external drives. Disk space has become cheap, even a SSD disk.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    {...SNIP} Can somebody explain why we can trust Microsoft for this?
    We Stoopid?

That might be a start. I am sure there are equally bad methods to authenticate.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Members who have read this thread: 0