Corsair inbound! - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Corsair inbound!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Steps for good takeoffs:

- Look to your left console. There is a placard showing the takeoff trim tab values for rudder, aileron and elevator. Set them like that.
    - Lock tailwheel (Important!)
    - Set flaps at 2nd notch or more
    - Gradual throttle and be ready to use right rudder once you feel the need, not much needed if you set the trims right.
    - It will normally lift on its own without need for elevator forward or aft
    I just picked up the Corsair, very nice! Indeed, with the trim settings and all the above, it tracks straight as an arrow on takeoff with little effort and flies itself off the runway. Flies great!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gotta love the bogus paint schemes....It must be super hard to model a -1A or Birdcage from a -1D, for $40.

Let's put it this way... If they made all of the changes to the model inside and out, as well as systems and performance, to turn an F4U-1D into a -1A or -4 to the satisfaction of the typical hardcore MSFS fan, it would likely not still be a $40 model.

My inner Corsair geek looked at the post-war paints and immediately thought "those are likely F4U-4 or F4U-5 liveries" because the 1D had been retired by then.

But my inner Corsair geek was also happy to have them there as an option, if I want to fly around Korea, etc. Perhaps they could have noted that some paints were actually for other variants, just to hold off the Interweb criticism. I'm quite sure they know they're not authentic to the model, but they are a nice bonus, and can be ignored by the purists.

But you're not wrong in pointing them out. Me, I'm the guy flying around in my T-45C with Red Arrows paint on it and having fun. Having pulled Gs in real military planes (as a journalist, alas, not a pilot) I can attest that no matter how authentic the rivet count is, there's always SOME element of imagination involved in flight simming.

Well the soundset is great. The neighbors are hating Milviz right about now.

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

OK, I need help. Every time I throttle 'er up and hit 60, the nose swings left and no amount of ruder will bring it around without scraping wings. The tail is locked, and trim ios set. What am I doing wrong?

jk3458 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Nice shot!

Btw it flies better with one or no drop tanks. I always delete them in the weight editor. The drop tanks are the last three entries. You remove them by reducing the slider to 0.

One thing I don't understand about the graphics - the "muddy footprints" are all on the port-side flap and wing root, where as the only way the pilot can climb in and out of the aircraft is of course on the opposite side, as the footholds required to get up onto the wing and then into the cockpit are all on the starboard side (there are none on the port side).

On the Corsair, there is a foothold cutout on the starboard inboard flap, and another foothold and a handhold on the starboard side of the fuselage - without those it would be impossible to get in and out of the cockpit. If for some reason the flaps were left raised, which would make it near impossible for the pilot to get onto the wing, the Vought engineers actually designed the fuselage foothold panel so that when it was depressed it would lower the flaps. You can see this explained and shown after the 6:38 mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ5ewUfncls

Steve Hinton shows and explains in the "Roaring Glory" Corsair checkout video that getting in and out of the aircraft is about the most difficult thing flying it: https://www.facebook.com/anthony.yha...80708296655961

Well observed John!

Devs are aware and this will be fixed and included in an update along with a few more fixes and features.

by popular demand, the plane Boyington probably never flew..
    jk3539

jk3532

and now with the footprints on the right side:
    jk3551
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

and another ace, Ira Kepford of VF-17

jk3567 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk3565 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Well observed John!

Devs are aware and this will be fixed and included in an update along with a few more fixes and features.
    I noticed that the steps in the fuselage are on the wrong side as well. I have the feeling that somehow the left and right textures became mixed in the adaptation for MSFS, the current left side of the fuselage texture seems perfect for the right side and vice versa, and something similar is going on with the F4U_EXT_5 & 6 textures, where a black rectangle for the step in the flaps is also on the wrong texture sheet, similar to the bootprints. I have adapted them for these last paints.

Any Brits bought this beauty and if so what was the currency conversion?

Finally had a decent session with the Corsair last night. She flies beautifully, but man what a handful on takeoff! I still haven’t had a successful smooth takeoff. Even when trimmed she will pull, and if too much rudder is applied, I lose it.

jk3603 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Would you consider doing the Flying Legends Corsair Jankees?

https://www.flyinglegends.com/aircra...1d-g-fgid.html

Well I am priced out on getting the Corsair. But I can't really get excited about any of the aircraft I have seen yet due to lack of depth in gameplay/simulation.

IMO there needs to be more of a separation between the default aircraft and an add-on aircraft before I am willing to spend 2/3rd the price of the whole game on one aircraft, especially when the game comes with 20 aircraft.

$40 will be a good start to saving for better flight controls or VR.
    Major Spittle
    product of Anheuser Busch St. Louis Missouri

System Specs. Asus Prime Z590-A, 64GB DDR4 4000, RX 5700, i7 10700, MasterLiquid ML240R, Super Flower Platinum 850, Corsair Crystal 680X.

Jeez, not another one of those 'it is too expensive and not enough in-depth' posts.
    You can't have it both ways, cheaper and more systems modelling.
    So yes, the sim comes with 20 aircraft, but not a single intersting one, for me anyway, so I am exceedingly happy with this beautiful Corsair and the Spitfire. If it is too expensive, don't buy it. If it is too simple, don't buy it. If you think default is good enough, don't buy it, but all this nagging wears me down..

Meanwhile, another paint I just uploaded:
    jk3637 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk3646 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk3645 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

At least nobody can complain about the price of my repaints...

Quote Originally Posted by Major_Spittle View Post
    Well I am priced out on getting the Corsair. But I can't really get excited about any of the aircraft I have seen yet due to lack of depth in gameplay/simulation.

IMO there needs to be more of a separation between the default aircraft and an add-on aircraft before I am willing to spend 2/3rd the price of the whole game on one aircraft, especially when the game comes with 20 aircraft.

$40 will be a good start to saving for better flight controls or VR.
    Well, sorry Major, but this addon has engine failure, advanced flight model and so forth modelled. It is more than worth the price. I wonder what more depth you are looking for. An attractive blonde female crew chief? Sorry, that is AI, not yet really present in this sim. And no other sim I might add.

Kind regards,

Lt. Jan
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Well, sorry Major, but this addon has engine failure, advanced flight model and so forth modelled. It is more than worth the price. I wonder what more depth you are looking for. An attractive blonde female crew chief? Sorry, that is AI, not yet really present in this sim. And no other sim I might add.Kind regards,Lt. Jan
    Priller, let's face it; hot women sell hot planes and I have yet to see one in any advertisement for the Corsair. So maybe you have hit on the real problem I have. I am sure plenty of people have and will be happy getting the plane at $40 and I hope the Developer makes a ton of money and is motivated to crank out even more products because it only helps competition and spurs improvement in everyone's products. Trust me, I will keep an eye on the Corsair and future sales or price reductions as it is in my #1 slot at the moment for best payware aircraft for MSFS. -MajorSpittle Jankees- I never realized I was Nagging you. Are you the one that made/sells the Corsair? I did not mean my statement as a knock on the Corsair, it is a beautiful aircraft and probably simulated about as deep as MSFS 2020 will allow at this moment ( I am not a developer so I have no idea can only compare to other products released at this time ).I would love to have the aircraft, but just giving the developer feed back as to why I passed on it and what I am looking for in add-on aircraft. I don't expect my opinion to be universal, but I imagine it is difficult to develop and market products without customer feedback. I know when I played FSX for years I had bought tons of discounted payware aircraft at Fry's Electronics for next to nothing and after spending about $90 on payware aircraft that was only downloadable I came to the realization that for me there was nowhere near the value in the aircraft for me with the exception of two that breathed new life into FSX and felt like buying a whole game in themselves. Anyway, I have no idea what a developer's time and cost is to produce aircraft x,y,z..... nor do I care. I am just a MSFS player and potential customer to some developers here. If my opinion is unwanted or not allowed on this forum I have no problem not sharing my opinions or giving feedback, which kind of makes being a member of the forum pointless....................................... edit........... I have no idea why my post runs all together without spaces or line breaks.
    Major Spittle
    product of Anheuser Busch St. Louis Missouri

System Specs. Asus Prime Z590-A, 64GB DDR4 4000, RX 5700, i7 10700, MasterLiquid ML240R, Super Flower Platinum 850, Corsair Crystal 680X.

Got, love it. Dream to fly once trimmed out but a handful on take off and landing (as already said). Got to go, need to paint the underside of a Corsair wing. Some nut scraped it all up on landing.

LouP

You can't really look at MSFS add-ons in the same way you look at stand-alone games in price, but that's an economic and market scale argument that's been rehashed for 20 years and which doesn't belong here.

I'd love to see repaints of a couple of Pacific NW USA FG-1Ds, if you're looking for subjects, Jankees.

I just posted some shots to the requests section of FlightSim.to if you're looking for inspiration. :-)

https://flightsim.to/request/livery/...-flight-museum
    https://flightsim.to/request/livery/...age-collection

After spending sometime with this Corsair, I have to say wow! This Corsair is unlike any other Virtual Corsair I have "flown", and that is both a good thing, and a frustrating thing. I'll compare and contrast with the P3D version of Milviz's Corsair.

The good? The founds and modeling (inside and out) are just wonderful. The P3D version is nice, but the MSFS version kicks it up a serious notch. The same goes with the sound. I also appreciate the system modeling. I haven't blown an engine, but then again, I also pay attention to the CHT and oil temp gauges. In the air, she feels just wonderful!

The frustrating thing? The low-level handling. Principally on takeoff. I have a pair of MFG crosswinds I am still getting used to, but what I still can't get over is that if I even think about touching right rudder to correct on takeoff, it just starts an unholy uncontrollable (at worst) train-wreck to the left where no enough rudder can save me, let alone stop me from scraping wings. Or (at best) one H-E-double hockey-sticks of a ride that sends me careening off in to the grass, then scrambling to get back to the runway. Forget just slightly meandering around the runway to find centerline like I sometimes do in the P3D version, I'm struggling to just maintain the runway with the MSFS version! The MSFS MILVIZ Corsair feels like I'm riding a mad bull, where as the P3D MILVIZ CORSAIR feels like a gentle Clydesdale by contrast.

I'll enjoy flying 'er, but honestly I'm caring less and less about figuring "perfection" at takeoff, and just hoping that wrestling with 'er will get me off the ground!

Those having problems taking off and landing, watch this 10 minute video. This guy's advice worked for me, I can now take off and land without being virtually killed or maimed. It still requires more focus than any other airplane I've flown in the sim - but then, that's probably true of the Corsair in real life. "Ensign Eliminator" indeed. If all else fails, you can turn on "takeoff assistance" in the MSFS general options/assistance menu and get off the ground, but that won't help you land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbOFpPNrhIU

Members who have read this thread: 1