London, a few comments

Thread: London, a few comments

SOH-CM-2023

London, a few comments

I'm very impressed with the photogrammetry of London and the identification of so many points of interest. Informative.
    Sure are a lot of construction cranes in some areas.
    There is a conflict of some of the Orbx London scenery objects. The Eye of London is especially noticeable(double, spaced a little apart). MSFS's rotates, where Orbx's does not.
    I deleted the Orbx London scenery, although it's Albert Hall and monument are superior and Orbx displays the tide control system where MSFS does not.
    With the Orbx scenery gone the Greenwich observatory near and behind the Greenwich Maritime shows in real shapes and colors (not generic buildings).
    I'm looking forward to viewing the rest of London and the UK improvements.

There is an announcement on the ORBX forum about the London landmarks pack.
    Basically it should be uninstalled for the moment and a new and updated version will be released in a week or so.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/...nited-kingdom/
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by jimjones View Post
    I'm very impressed with the photogrammetry of London and the identification of so many points of interest. Informative.
    Sure are a lot of construction cranes in some areas.
    There is a conflict of some of the Orbx London scenery objects. The Eye of London is especially noticeable(double, spaced a little apart). MSFS's rotates, where Orbx's does not.
    I deleted the Orbx London scenery, although it's Albert Hall and monument are superior and Orbx displays the tide control system where MSFS does not.
    With the Orbx scenery gone the Greenwich observatory near and behind the Greenwich Maritime shows in real shapes and colors (not generic buildings).
    I'm looking forward to viewing the rest of London and the UK improvements.
    Please keep letting us know your impressions, but it seems already apparent that Orbx London won't be actually compatible with the new update, will it?

If confirmed so, this will be utterly disappointing, since it will be clear that Asobo/MS don't take any step to coordinate with 3rd party developers, even if these are as established as Orbx.

Fortunately it seems that Orbx themselves will update their own scenery accordingly, otherwise this would be all a race of nonsense, and of course we would have to think twice (or thrice!!) before buying further scenery add-ons.

Quote Originally Posted by Stearman View Post
    Please keep letting us know your impressions, but it seems already apparent that Orbx London won't be actually compatible with the new update, will it?

If confirmed so, this will be utterly disappointing, since it will be clear that Asobo/MS don't take any step to coordinate with 3rd party developers, even if these are as established as Orbx.

Fortunately it seems that Orbx themselves will update their own scenery accordingly, otherwise this would be all a race of nonsense, and of course we would have to think twice (or thrice!!) before buying further scenery add-ons.
    I'm sure I read that Orbx have worked with Asobo to provide some of the UK updates which is good to hear. I was worried that if they don't work with the 3rd party community, then they will simply hold off building stuff in case Asobo come along and make their products obsolete.

That said, whilst the new London updates are great, there are many buildings that look like a war zone with lots of random shapes floating around so there's still plenty of scope for orbx to add value to the default scenery.

Well I'm very disappointed with the update. My house is less than a mile outside the London photogrammetry area
    Just joking, it looks pretty good to me so far.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Yes, noticed a conflict between Orbx London add-on, removed it. Glad i read about incoming upgrade...hope they remove those "cranes" as well
    Regards

In my humble opinion, who needs ORBX with this sim?

Sceneries in this sim surpass anything that I have ever seen in any sim.

Priller (who is still redownloading the whole bloody sim)
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Totally agree. And I have Lots of Orbx. Buying their products for fsx p3d, almost the whole lot (less airports) and they improved those sims a lot. For this, just like you, see no need. Bought London add on and now MSFS come with this...
    Regards

Dont know about you Beaufighter, but I still have P3D v4.5 on my rig for those planes that won't work in MSFS.

As for addon scenery, I have a few freeware addons in MSFS because they are airports in my country which has always been notoriously badly represented in any sim. (Belgium)

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Dont know about you Beaufighter, but I still have P3D v4.5 on my rig for those planes that won't work in MSFS.

As for addon scenery, I have a few freeware addons in MSFS because they are airports in my country which has always been notoriously badly represented in any sim. (Belgium)

Cheers,

Priller
    I keep 4.5 in a reserve HDD and v5 in SSD, to be able to maintain all the planes I bought, some of them twice or more. For MSFS just like you using freeware that I like. Now waiting for the G-91. Work on them back in 1964/1965 when they arrive at Ota Airbase coming from German with German colours. They were transferred to the Portuguese colony Guiné in África to fight against the PAIGC guerrilla. Some of them were shot down by the Strela missile, and then retired...

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    There is an announcement on the ORBX forum about the London landmarks pack.
    Basically it should be uninstalled for the moment and a new and updated version will be released in a week or so.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/...nited-kingdom/

Thanks for that update info.

I was also wondering about the London package from ORBX - it's one of only two sceneries I've purchased. I zipped up that folder in my Official section and deleted the original. From experience, I know that will put it in the "owned but not installed" category in the content manager. I'll keep an eye out for the update...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Hiya,

Still need ORBX or other addon scenery to get better (realistic) airports. For example the "handcrafted" airports like LOWI, EHAM en TFFJ are nice yet are no match (big time) with payware airport from ORBX and for example FlyTampa.

Maybe the cityscape sceneries are another storie/point.

Regards,

Marcel

There are so many freeware airports being offered, as well as alternatives to ORBX specific payware that it's worth being selective. Still, there are a few ORBX favorites I'm looking forward to. Their Sydney Cityscape is stunning.

This update did not impresss at first. Looked worse than before. Then I realized that Bing data was not turned on!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

London update is available at ORBX since aprox. 10 days already. After ORBX did the whole work of updating the data within a few days, ASOBO is still not capable to upload the provided patch to the marketplace. Go figure.

I know where to buy my next addons

Does anyone else get big swathes of London as just flat areas with no photogrammetry at all?

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    Does anyone else get big swathes of London as just flat areas with no photogrammetry at all?
    Only when the Bing Maps are off. Check that in Options. I often find it off due to bandwidth disconnects.

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    If you have the updated ORBX London City Pack installed open ORBX central and just above uninstal in the city pack section there's a configure button, click it and make sure the with UK world update installed box is ticked.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    If you have the updated ORBX London City Pack installed open ORBX central and just above uninstal in the city pack section there's a configure button, click it and make sure the with UK world update installed box is ticked.
    Thanks I'd already uninstalled the OrbX London

Looks like manual cache is fixed in the latest update, so that might help things a bit!

Members who have read this thread: 0