Spitfire!!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spitfire!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Jarvis, If I may hijack the thread, just for a moment, to share a Chuck Berry experience. Around forty years ago my wife and I attended the New Orleans Jazz Festival. Chuck Berry was one of the headliners. We arrive for his performance early and found ourselves a nice grassy spot to sit on. Little by little others came to sit around us. They then lit up their favorite pot products. Since, we were not marijuana users it didn't take us long before the residual smoke had us figuratively floating above the ground. Let's just say that Chuck Berry's performance that day was extortionary for us.
    Smoking story, Jmig !

I can imagine even without floating above ground a Chuck Berry concert must've been extraordinairy exhilarating ! Envy you, never had the pleasure myself. I do adore the Hail,Hail Rock&Roll tribute to him organised by Keith Richards. ( fascinating to see how Chuck constantly tries to jeopardise a song just for fun and Keith constantly disapproving and rejecting it. If he wasn't grey already he would've turned to it right here! ;-)

Just for the record, jmig, i was actually referring to Richard Wayne Penniman, aka Little Richard. Chuck died in 2017, LR last year..)

Ok, back to the tent, errr.. Spit

Well that worked, thanks Jan.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Hi John,

A million things to do yet so no date.

BTW Does anyone know why I can't get full sized images on the post?

Thanks.
    Could be to do with the move to the new server. I will ask in the Staff forum.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Looks really good and I now have the right incentive to get with MSFS.
    Thanks for all the effort going into this bird Baz, shes a 'must have' for me.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    If you upload this 1878x850 pic via a link and use 'From URL' (and uncheck Retrieve remote file..) it should arrive here as advertised. (well more or less, still not as big as on your FB..)
    The board resizes to fit the screen, but the image is still the same resolution. I don't know about other browsers, but depending on how an image is displayed, there's usually a right-click option to open an image in a new tab. Doing that gets you the full resolution. By the way, the exact same thing you're describing here can be done with the old BBCode [img] tags.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Could be to do with the move to the new server. I will ask in the Staff forum.
    Please do that. Usually I don't post pictures but when I did it before, have this idea you could choose size.
    Regards

If you have a 3D printer, you can now print your own authentic Spitfire control stick, with the throttle, landing gear, and flaps switches coming soon:

https://authentikit.org/what-is-it/

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    Please do that. Usually I don't post pictures but when I did it before, have this idea you could choose size.
    Regards
    I don't remember ever being able to select a size here, but I know that on Flickr, you can pick the size that get's displayed via the image URL given in the Share function. If the image is larger than the space provided in the forum, it get's auto-resized dynamically.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Engine testing

We now have the Merlin in the sim and have begun testing. Currently we are working on the gravity carb code and boost cut-out. Also some rather tasty things for the exhausts. More anon

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SpitMerlinC.jpg  

That looks beautiful, Baz!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Beautiful details indeed. The texture/material combination one of the most convincing I've seen so far.

Now that IS a work of art. Crazy deatils. Looking forward to this one now. I still want my Mosquito, but this will do just nicely.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Awesome, Barry, just awesome ! Great screenies too !

Can't wait !

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Now that IS a work of art. Crazy deatils. Looking forward to this one now. I still want my Mosquito, but this will do just nicely.
    How are the frame rates? If I can run the default planes on medium to high settings in somewhat dense scenery will I be ok with one like this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snaker View Post
    How are the frame rates? If I can run the default planes on medium to high settings in somewhat dense scenery will I be ok with one like this?

Thanks
    I can sort of answer this one.

We run stock sims on medium to high ( baz pushes his into the high territory for screens and loves his ORBX scenery ) we both have the same system. We aim for between 25 - 30 + fps ( higher obviously but the base is that )- They are old systems as well, have to be about 4 -5 years old now.

- i5 6600 3.3ghz ( stock no OC )
    - 32 gb ddr3 2333 mhz RAm on stock latency and settings in the bios.
    - nvidia 1060 gtx 6gb of ram. Baz is on cutting edge nvidia ( I keep mine about 2 revisions back ). No OC .
    - Sim installed on a 7200 rpm standard drive with buckets of room ( 700 gb or so spare ? ).
    - Both running steam edition. Baz has the store edition for testing as well. ( if that matters ?)
    - The rolling cache on my machine is on the same 7200 rpm drive where as baz leaves his on the SSd. I have notices a little change in the speed he gets over mine but I sacrifice 2 -3 fps for more swap space on the SSD.

So in your case you're pretty much running the sim at about the same settings it seems. And yes we are getting between 25 - 30fps . It dipped a little when baz flew under the gateway bridge in Brisbane but then baz stuck it into the drink ... apparently it was someone elses fault ( PEBCAC ? )

Sorry a bit more info than you asked for but you arent the only one asking so thought to put the info in here.
    Last edited by pilto von pilto; March 8th, 2021 at 11:51. Reason: Got rid of overly developer specific stuff

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    I can sort of answer this one.

We run stock sims on medium to high ( baz pushes his into the high territory for screens and loves his ORBX scenery ) we both have the same system. We aim for between 25 - 30 + fps ( higher obviously but the base is that )- They are old systems as well, have to be about 4 -5 years old now.

- i5 6600 3.3ghz ( stock no OC )
    - 32 gb ddr3 2333 mhz RAm on stock latency and settings in the bios.
    - nvidia 1060 gtx 6gb of ram. Baz is on cutting edge nvidia ( I keep mine about 2 revisions back ). No OC .
    - Sim installed on a 7200 rpm standard drive with buckets of room ( 700 gb or so spare ? ).
    - Both running steam edition. Baz has the store edition for testing as well. ( if that matters ?)
    - The rolling cache on my machine is on the same 7200 rpm drive where as baz leaves his on the SSd. I have notices a little change in the speed he gets over mine but I sacrifice 2 -3 fps for more swap space on the SSD.

So in your case you're pretty much running the sim at about the same settings it seems. And yes we are getting between 25 - 30fps . It dipped a little when baz flew under the gateway bridge in Brisbane but then baz stuck it into the drink ... apparently it was someone elses fault ( PEBCAC ? )

Sorry a bit more info than you asked for but you arent the only one asking so thought to put the info in here.
    Thanks for the reply! It looks like it might work. My system is a bit slower than yours. Probably going to give it a try. My specs - gtx 1050 4gb, I5 7300q, 16 gb ram.

Well as PVP says, my system is ageing (like me) and I do use a lot of ORBX stuff and I like my sliders up pretty high too. I can get 20 - 30 fps in the Mk1A over ORBX Sydney on a cloudy day (live feed weather).

One quick question Baz: Will this Spit get all grumpy when flown inverted for too long and have carburation problems?
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

If we finally get the coding cracked, yes. It is one of things we are working on right now. That and the boost cutout control. You can dial in a gravity fed carb in the sim but guess what? it doesn't work. No surprises there then. There's a ton of stuff still needs correcting in the SDK. When we were working on the boost-control, the data readout for the engine had us using 3,480 inches of mercury in normal boost. That would take us to Mach3 I think. Smoke and mirrors my friends - there's quite a bit of that I'm afraid.

We add the MkVb

We are happy to announce the forthcoming release of another early Spitfire, the MkVB. Here's a video showing a WIP flight test. Sounds are placeholders only. We have the gravity fed carb working now. The pilot is animated and has an on-demand oxygen mask and goggles animations also. A third Spitfire will be joining these two (more later) and we have some very exciting news relative to the Spitfire releases.

https://youtu.be/FXFSBBmoVAo

Nice! Can you fit these with Miss Shilling's orifice to stop the cutouts?

Very cool... Sounds like you have an announcement coming up, so I'll wait, but obviously wondering if this will be a bundle of all three marks. Anxious to hear!

Changes...

Could we have a list of changes for the MK1 between what we're flying in FSX and whats possible in MSFS..?
    I realize this is a WIP and MSFS has flight dynamics and SDK limitations.

Some of the things you will find in the Mk1A and MkVb include, heat-blur effects, gravity-fed carburettor effects, full PBR/MSFS materials and textures and a lot more.

Flight dynamics would be similar but perhaps a little more realistic to fly. MSFS flight model leaves a lot to be desired so we have spent a long time getting the dynamics right for feel and performance.

All the usual suspects are there : Opening engine covers reveal an all-new Merlin engine model, opening service/ballast hatches reveal radio set and battery compartment in the rear, animated dedicated WW2 pilot has on-demand oxygen mask and goggles whenever oxygen is selected. The entry door has the second position canopy lock (not many seem to know about this stunningly simple yet effective device to lock the canopy when open to stop it from sliding forward when flying with it open.)

In the cockpit we have working morse code lights unit, working remote contactor, dipping, selectable landing light controls, correctly back lit gear light indicators with a working night-shade, switchable gunsight reticle, working gun button safety switch, correct operation of the landing gear control with gate - the list goes on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpitMkVB.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	82038

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Some of the things you will find in the Mk1A and MkVb include, heat-blur effects, gravity-fed carburettor effects, full PBR/MSFS materials and textures and a lot more.

Flight dynamics would be similar but perhaps a little more realistic to fly. MSFS flight model leaves a lot to be desired so we have spent a long time getting the dynamics right for feel and performance.

All the usual suspects are there : Opening engine covers reveal an all-new Merlin engine model, opening service/ballast hatches reveal radio set and battery compartment in the rear, animated dedicated WW2 pilot has on-demand oxygen mask and goggles whenever oxygen is selected. The entry door has the second position canopy lock (not many seem to know about this stunningly simple yet effective device to lock the canopy when open to stop it from sliding forward when flying with it open.)

In the cockpit we have working morse code lights unit, working remote contactor, dipping, selectable landing light controls, correctly back lit gear light indicators with a working night-shade, switchable gunsight reticle, working gun button safety switch, correct operation of the landing gear control with gate - the list goes on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpitMkVB.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	82038

Very impressive, thanks..

Members who have read this thread: 0